Author Topic: Lame time for SY show  (Read 4267 times)

chevelus

Lame time for SY show
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:47:00 am »
I think it was lame for 9:30 to try to squeeze 2 shows into a weeknight.  The first show starts at 6:45, for goodness sakes, and they'll be hustling us out of there by 9:00.  Many of my friends will miss the opening act due to work.  Boo on the 9:30 for bait and switching the first ticket buyers into this rediculously early show.  Show the courtesy of adding a second night next time.

bearman🐻

Re: Lame time for SY show
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
very hypothetical question... how would you have felt if they moved the show to a larger, possibly less desirable, location in order to meet ticket demands... plus why put all the blame on the venue, surely Sonic Youth played some part in the decision to do two shows in order to keep their fans happy.
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 surely Sonic Youth played some part in the decision to do two shows in order to keep their fans happy.
i'm sure that's the only reason they decided to do 2 shows   :roll:  

i won't pull a rhett and get into this debate as i'm not going to either show, but i tend to agree with the OP
(o|o)

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »
I don't think they should really be able to do something like that, unless they offer a refund.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  very hypothetical question... how would you have felt if they moved the show to a larger, possibly less desirable, location in order to meet ticket demands... plus why put all the blame on the venue, surely Sonic Youth played some part in the decision to do two shows in order to keep their fans happy.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »
ok my bad...
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 12:22:00 pm »
True Kosmo...but as us Sonic Youth fans get older and more curmudgeony, we also have stricter schedules with more responsibilities. Going to a show fits into a schedule. Whether it's a job, kids, night school, whatever...we buy a ticket with the idea that we'll be able to make it to that particular show at that particular time. And for some folks, that is kind of a silent agreement in their minds. Whether it's the venue or the band (or both) that break that agreement, I think it's only fair for people to be a little upset. This is a good venue for us to voice ourselves. We don't hate the club. We're also the ones spending money to support the band and the club, and ultimately we don't have much of a say in terms of what happens once that ticket is bought. (I know, I know...we can sell it, exchange it, go to the later show, etc.) And in the grand scheme of things, it's just a concert. But for those of us who work our asses off, in some cases it's one of the few things we can look forward to all week. It's our sacred time to enjoy some music and rock the fuck out (which I will happily do tonight).

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
i believe at one point an refund was offered... not sure if anyone took up that offer
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:31:00 pm »
money changes everything.

after dodging all the raccoons and deer eyes straight into mine, then driving 66 for the wait to deal with northern va into dc, sometimes taking an hour and a half . . . i appreciate an early show-early over-early home.

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 12:37:00 pm »
I am pretty certain a refund wasn't offered. If it was, I didn't hear a thing about it and didn't see anything posted on here.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »
Seth mentioned it on a thread. I don't think it was formally announced anywhere.

Originally posted by bearman:
  I am pretty certain a refund wasn't offered. If it was, I didn't hear a thing about it and didn't see anything posted on here.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »
Seth Hurwitz
 Member # 14

Is the Sonic Youth issue really about wanting a refund or being upset that it didn't turn out the way you had envisioned it?

I'm inclined to give refunds to those that want them

ok nothing formalized but it was at least considered....
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
 . . . i appreciate an early show-early over-early home.
Huh? I'm sleepy.

zig

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »
i agree that regardless of who one would want to try to blame, the band, or the venue, it is ridiculous. i actually had no idea the time had been changed until i looked at last weeks city paper tuesday evening.

my ticket says doors at 730 (or 8, i forget). there was no word about change of time, or if the ticket was good for the first show or second show. if SY wants to add a second show, fine, but there certainly was poor promotion about the change of time from the 930.

ggw

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
I got a phone call from Tickets.com informing me of the time change.  Seriously.