Author Topic: Metropolitran Friday  (Read 2267 times)

Bags

Metropolitran Friday
« on: November 26, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
Is anyone going to be around to go to this show @ the Black Cat?  My whole concert posse will be away, but I've been interested in catching Metropolitan.  While I'll go to shows alone, a Friday or Saturday night show is not usually calling to me as a solo act....

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Metropolitran Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 08:08:00 am »
I've been meaning to see them for a long time...
_\|/_

Barcelona

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 12:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Is anyone going to be around to go to this show @ the Black Cat?  My whole concert posse will be away, but I've been interested in catching Metropolitan.  While I'll go to shows alone, a Friday or Saturday night show is not usually calling to me as a solo act....
I was thinking of going, but didn't you like Foo Fighters and GBBadTaste? Then, I might have to reassess going to the show.

Seriously, don't know them, what do they sound like?

Bags

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 10:26:00 pm »
Well, Barcelona, wonder if you went.  I'd think it's funny if you didn't go 'cuz I mentioned it.  I have no idea what they're like except that they're local and they're buzz is good.  I didn't go; had the flu the whole goddamn long weekend.  And still do.  Maybe it's cuz I like Foo.  Which rhynes with flu.

walkman

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 11:18:00 pm »
good news, barcelona.  metropolitan sound nothing like the foos.

let's see...feedbacky noise pop is about the best description I can come up with...all in all, they're pretty good.

markie

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 12:43:00 am »
by the power of allmusic:

With their fuzzy production, sharp hooks and naive approach, Metropolitan comes across as a snottier Teenage Fanclub. The two bands have a lot in common, but most importantly they can take dissonant guitar and ugly production and craft sweet pop songs out of all the noise. Tracks like "Long Distance Dedication" have hooks that burrow deep into your brain while the band bangs away at their instruments like they were Fugazi. This yin and yang to their sound is a great mix, making the obvious Fanclub comparisons seem pretty accurate because both bands also have the ability to pull it off. The album does suffer a little from the band's need to throw wanky one-minute noise blips in between otherwise excellent songs, but that is the nature of the beast when dealing with bands like this. Like a DC hardcore band trapped in a room full of pillows, Metropolitan delivers the goods for wide-eyed pop lovers and angst-filled feedback fanatics alike.  --  Bradley Torreano

Bags

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 11:30:00 pm »
Wow, the allmusic reveiw/description sounds great.  So up my alley.  Alas, I was sick sick sick.  boo hoo

Next time.

markie

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 12:09:00 am »
Well they are good, but the reviewer does go a bit far. I have not been to see them or WSC for some time. I need to make the effort next time.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
downloaded a few songs (legally from their site). good stuff, might have to check them out next time
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 09:43:00 pm »
WSC has really been burning up the stage lately.  They've got a Velvet Lounge gig on Thurs, Dec 11 coming up -- but then they're at Black Cat on Friday, Dec. 19.  I'm hitting the 19th show.  While I love the crowded Lounge shows, Friday suits my work schedule better.

Originally posted by mark e smith:
  Well they are good, but the reviewer does go a bit far. I have not been to see them or WSC for some time. I need to make the effort next time.