Author Topic: HFStival set times  (Read 8342 times)

myuman

Re: HFStival set times
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 09:24:00 pm »
I don't know really what to think.  I really won't miss any bands I care to see, but I was really looking forward to a few good bands on the b-stage.   In the past we've seen Ash, the vines, Modest Mouse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs... nothing in that league this year.  Getting close to that main stage is not even close to worth it.  So I'll be sitting back in seat probably in the upper deck while stuffing my face with fries and soda most of the day.

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 10:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
  Getting close to that main stage is not even close to worth it.  
dont quote me on this but...

a friend of a friend (haha) is in a band that was supposed to be on the locals stage.

last week the station called and said they would not be performing any more because they were trying to get bands from surrounding cities in efforts to boost ticket sales. apparently they have oly sold 20,000 of the 75,000 available tickets.

now, why they havent cancelled is beyond me, but I am figuring this festival will be much less crowded than any before it, therefore getting close to the main stage might be quite simple.

plus i dont see any big mosh pits breaking out during Echo and the Bunnymen!!!

myuman

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 06:48:00 am »
This just goes to show how out of the mainstream I have become.  When I saw the lineup, I bought tickets presale, so I wouldn't be left behind when it sold out very quickly.  My thinking was:  Coldplay headlined Coachella; Interpol/Garbage sell out quickly at clubs; Foo fighters is not too common; Social D/NY dolls for the punkers; and then you have the big draw potential in Idol/Good Charlotte.  If ticket sales are slow, which I'm not denying.... where's the advertising?  Pitchfork is all over smaller festivals (not that they are your PR arm), but not a mention here.  I haven't heard anything except listening to 105.7.  I don't know... I hope you're wrong, but I have my fears.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 08:27:00 am »
even if they really only sold 20,000 tickets (i thought i heard they had sold close to 50,000)...that is still a good number of tickets.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 10:36:00 am »
- I have sympathy on the setlist issue.  I can only imagine what it's like to organize an event like this, and they probably are better off just waiting rather than making changes.  If folks count on a schedule and then it changes, they tend to freak.

- I am stupefied that this, the one decent HFStival lineup in a few years, is selling poorly.  As myuman said, I am SO out of it.  Probably for the good, means I generally get to see 'my bands' at smaller venues.  Oy.

[FYI, I'm not insinuating that the past few HFStivals have sucked entirely.  There have been many good bands, but I found the lineups to be more shitty than good...]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 10:42:00 am »
well it is in Baltimore and in the past lots of attendees have relied on the metro in DC to get to the shows at RFK... maybe the kids didn't think the lineup was "strong" enough to drive up to baltimore for.  plus part of the fstival appeal was the hype the station could create for it, with contests, etc. i knew tickets were selling poorly when they had to sell them without the service charges.
T.Rex

LRHippo

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
They are also calling for Thunderstorms on Saturday.

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by LRHippo:
  They are also calling for Thunderstorms on Saturday.
it is springtime.

weather.com says "scattered t-storms" 40% chance and a high of 81. rains cool with me, so long as its not 60 degrees and raining.  yuck.

i feel like i shouldnt go to any concerts for a while after Weezer.  might make everything else sound a little weak.