Author Topic: Luna show review?  (Read 1527 times)

thegazelle

Luna show review?
« on: December 20, 2004, 11:53:00 am »
Does anyone have any word on the Luna show? I had to miss it and would love to hear how it was.

snailhook

Re: Luna show review?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:49:00 pm »
i thought the show was pretty damn good, though not my favorite set by a long shot. i used to be a luna fanatic from 1993-1999 and saw them roughly 12 times in that period, so i'm a bit critical. "pup tent" and "days of our nights" were erratic, IMO, and i was really disappointed by the two following albums. the last two times i saw them, i was bored by the new songs and felt like they were going through the motions. still, i couldn't miss luna's last DC show.

here's the setlist, to the best of my memory, though i am not familiar with the titles of anything past "days of our nights":

intro > california (all the way)
 something recent
 something recent
 something recent
 sideshow by the seashore
 something recent
 something recent
 moon palace
 bonnie & clyde
 something recent
 tugboat captain (galaxie 500)
 friendly advice
 tiger lily
 something recent
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 chinatown
 23 minutes in brussels
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 time to quit
 indian summer (beat happening)

the galaxie 500 cover was a huge surprise and sounded great. i was also psyched to finally hear "bonne & clyde" live. the second encore was a propos as they played "time to quit" and finished off with "indian summer."

my only gripe was that they didn't dig deep enough into their catalog. all of the 1992-1995 material was the most memorable, and the new songs sounded just alright. they seemed to play a set geared toward touring on a new album, instead of a farewell tour.

overall, best luna show for me since 1998, but not even close to their peak shows in 1995.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

the galaxie 500 cover was a huge surprise and sounded great. i was also psyched to finally hear "bonne & clyde" live. the second encore was a propos as they played "time to quit" and finished off with "indian summer."

my only gripe was that they didn't dig deep enough into their catalog. all of the 1992-1995 material was the most memorable, and the new songs sounded just alright. they seemed to play a set geared toward touring on a new album, instead of a farewell tour.

overall, best luna show for me since 1998, but not even close to their peak shows in 1995.
i think there was maybe 3 or 4 songs from the new album.  and maybe 2 from romantica, and nothing off of pup tent or days of our nights.  as for tugboat. . .i'd say about 3/4 of the times i've seen them they've played a galaxie 500 song, normally tugboat, sometimes 4th of july. so, over half of the set list was from that 92-95 period. . .i've only been to one show where the band played nothing from the most recent album (built to spill a few years ago. . what a random show that was too, closing with "freebird")
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 12:09:00 am »
bts played freebird in pittsburgh on the amotf tour as well. i think in the 3 times i've seen them since that record came out they've played no more than two songs of of it. weather and fly around my pretty little miss
o/\o

Chip Chanko

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 12:38:00 am »
On the tour right after Perfect from Now On came out he wouldn't play anything from it...I think the recording process really annoyed him for that one. Then all of a sudden tons of PFNO songs came out on the Keep It Like A Secret tour. So maybe AMOTF songs will be all the rage next year when the new album is out.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 02:38:00 am »
except there are only 2 really good songs on it, as opposed to the greatness that is every other bts album
o/\o

Chip Chanko

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 03:09:00 pm »
You're referring to Ancient Melodies, I hope.

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  except there are only 2 really good songs on it, as opposed to the greatness that is every other bts album

eltee

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 05:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  i was bored by the new songs and felt like they were going through the motions.
I thought the same.