Author Topic: First Week of May Rollcall  (Read 6020 times)

lily1

Re: First Week of May Rollcall
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 06:02:00 am »
rjd2 thursday
 crowded house friday

so who is going to be at the club later in the evening on saturday? there is no one booked. maybe crowded house is doing a second night?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 06:47:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Black Cat

With (The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope (who I bet you're a fan of    ;)   ) opening.

Ah, crap. Now I really wish I could go. Another band on the Air Atlantic playlist.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:

Neverwhere, I got a ticket to see "Let the Right One In" tomorrow afternoon. Know if it's amazing or not?  I've heard wonderful things about it already.
Ive heard really good things about Let the Right One In. Let me know how it is.

Ive heard theres something *huge* going on at the Village 7. Some sort of big screening (with lots of celebrity) for Pray the Devil Back to Hell. Ill be helping out. Im pretty sure youre at a show at that time, but if youre around - you should say hi  :)  

Verve last night was really awesome. Richard Ashcroft still sounds amazing! It was mostly songs off of Urban Hymns with some of the earlier songs mixed in. Great night! Played for nearly 2 hours!
HeyLa

tigersscareme

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »
saturday is free comic book day.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  Sooooooo...Goldfrapp tonight in NYC. It was pretty good, her voice is such an instrument. Contrary to Mr. Sweetcell's claims that she was lip-synching during a song, I definitely know for a fact that all the main vocals we heard during the show were coming directly from Alison's mouth. I loved the mix of old and new, and the general crowd response to the last 5 or 6 songs. Not the best show I've seen them do, and in all honesty, it doesn't touch Calvin Harris' live set from last night.
calvin was indeed the superior of the two shows, but goldfrapp was still damn solid.  took a while for the crowd to get into it and was a lot more fun once they did.  i still maintain that for one song, there was a disconnect between the movement of alison's lips and the sound coming out of the PA - best explained by tape.  i think i was in a pretty good position to judge this - i was front row, dead center, closest person to alison    :D      ixkpd-bk, your costume was...  indescribable.  wow.  well done.  i think.

i got some pix of both nights, will try to put them online tonight.

Originally posted by lily1:
 maybe crowded house is doing a second night?
nope
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »
That's so gay. A straight guy front row center at a Goldfrapp concert   :D      
  [/b][/quote]
(_|_)

jd930

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »
Pitchfork has  Goldfrapp photos.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »
i'm at the BYT relaunch party Saturday.
 (and an art show at the Yellow Barn in the afternoon   :)  )

jm1

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »
Friday: Crowded House
 Saturday: Getting my free comic - then BYT...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »
hey joe, did you catch calvin in SF last week?  i know you were considering it.  if yes, what did you think?  i'm jealous that you caught SMD.  

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  That's so gay. A straight guy front row center at a Goldfrapp concert         :p      not that you really dance anyways.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »
No, unfortunately I flew on Friday (the Calvin show was Thursday) but saw the Coup play with a live band (that's Boots Riley with DJ Pam the Funkstress - such a rare show with her on the bill), Goldfrapp, SMD/Cut Copy and The Mae Shi. Yeah, the SMD show will be one of the best this year   :)  

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  hey joe, did you catch calvin in SF last week?  i know you were considering it.  if yes, what did you think?  i'm jealous that you caught SMD.  

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  That's so gay. A straight guy front row center at a Goldfrapp concert           :p        not that you really dance anyways.
(_|_)

Mobius

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »
The Verve at WaMU were great!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
which night were you at? i heard the 2nd night was better from a few friends that saw both nights. I was only at the 2nd night and i'd say it was awesome! (save for me being dead tired).
HeyLa

Mobius

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:

Originally posted by Mobius:
which night were you at? i heard the 2nd night was better from a few friends that saw both nights. I was only at the 2nd night and i'd say it was awesome! (save for me being dead tired). [/b]
I was at the Tuesday night show, about five rows back on the floor, between Ashcroft and Simon Jones.  Gave me a chance to appreciate Jones' unwavering enthusiasm and fine bass playing.  Reminded me of Mani.  

Some thoughts:  I thought pretty much every song was excellent, although some maybe didn't live up to their potential (the guitar seemed low in the mix at least early on).  But the show built momentum and the 'peak' at the end of Come On was mind blowing - I think literally.

Urban Hymns may be my favorite album of the era (kind of a yang to OK Computer's yin) so the emphasis on those songs was fine with me.  I saw Ashcroft at 9:30 in 2001 and he also played a lot from the album - but it was nice to see them played counterbalanced and fleshed out as they are supposed to be.   Ashcroft got all the credit when they broke here in '97-98, but everyone in the band brings something essential to the table.

Ashcroft was in fine form - he doesn't seem to have aged (none of them do) but the trademark thousand mile scowl from the last incarnation of the Verve has been replaced by a positive/spiritual presence (though thankfully he's got an edge back that seemed to have been lost in his solo days).

lily1

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »
ok, so no rjd2 for me tonight.

when are the tickets for saturday's crowded house show going on sale?

Originally posted by lily1:
  rjd2 thursday
 crowded house friday

so who is going to be at the club later in the evening on saturday? there is no one booked. maybe crowded house is doing a second night?