Author Topic: "repairing" cds  (Read 1726 times)

bellenseb

"repairing" cds
« on: March 09, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
I have a bunch of CDs with minor surface marks that don't affect playback but can't be sold for full value, either. Do any of the machines available (store-bought ones or large industrial "cd repair" machines found in stereo stores like Graffitti) actually cosmetically fix such CDs to the point that they look like new?

Re: "repairing" cds
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
no

calecp01

Re: "repairing" cds
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
Um, yes.  If the marks are on the shiny/data side, then yes, many of those CD repair kits will buff away a large majority of those scratches.  I don't remember the name of the one I have but you clip the CD into it and it has this handle and a crank that spins and buffs, then you have to do a little polishing by rubbing a little cloth Mr. Miyagi style on it.  If the scratches aren't that deep it will totally wipe them away.  Label side scratches though it can't do anything about.  Also, on careful inspection it would be pretty obvious that the CD was run through one of these repair kits as there will be some kinda streak like markings on it, but not nearly as noticeable as a scratch.

-cale