Author Topic: your top 10 concerts of the year  (Read 29435 times)

eip

Re: your top 10 concerts of the year
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »
Only saw three this year (having a second baby will do that to you), but they were all great:  The Who - Verizon
 Wolfmother - 9:30
 White Stripes - Patriot Center

SPARX

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by conorh98:

Originally posted by SPARX:

Originally posted by conorh98:
  Sly & Family Stone - BB King's (weird show)

Care to elaborate? The genius/insanity of Sly has always intrigued me. [/b]
Well, it was uncoordinated from start to finish (venue/band/audience). I really appreciate the 930 club and BC when I watch shows in other cities. It was a 10:30 start time, but they kept us waiting in the cold on the sidewalk until just before 12. No reasons were given. Sly came out and did a spontaneous "rap" before members of the family came out seemingly confused. sly's voice is still great (it might be even better than when he was young) but he would only sing about 1 or 2 lines out of any given song when he actually was out there. he was preoccupied with a vocoder (i think that's what it's called) where he would talk into a mic and the keyboard would control its pitch. the band didn't really know what the hell was going on and was as confused as the audience when sly would up and leave the stage. they turned the house lights on a bunch of times before sly stumbled back to noodle through another song.

the unfortunate thing is that this could have been an incredible show. but sly's music really benefits with tight playing. this was anything but. they need a real leader out there, even if it isn't sly, to help them get their shit together.

about 1/3 of the audience was pissed and some chanted stuff at sly, but the rest ate it up. i guess i was somewhere in the middle. i didn't feel like he was intentionally slighting the audience like bob dylan or anything, but he might just have mental problems or stage fright. i do think he was trying to put on a good show. and it was pretty good. i'm really glad i saw it; he's written some incredible tunes. [/b]
Thanks for the review. Wish I could've caught him in his prime. Sheer genius! His Dick Cavett interview was priceless back in his heyday. He basically took over the show with his charisma and sheer presence. By the end of the show, he was pretty much interviewing the other guests while Cavett sat there dumbfounded.
 Sorry to hear he seemed subpar but at least you got to see a legend.Sounds like there might not be many tours left in Sly.Good to hear he's still trying to give his best shot though.

Sage 703

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »
Thanks for the review. Wish I could've caught him in his prime. Sheer genius! His Dick Cavett interview was priceless back in his heyday. He basically took over the show with his charisma and sheer presence. By the end of the show, he was pretty much interviewing the other guests while Cavett sat there dumbfounded.
 Sorry to hear he seemed subpar but at least you got to see a legend.Sounds like there might not be many tours left in Sly.Good to hear he's still trying to give his best shot though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hqNvg4r3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_Pf7JhKWo

Awesome.

SPARX

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hqNvg4r3k  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_Pf7JhKWo  

Awesome. [/b]
The 1st youtube vid is the one I was talking about. Once Sly's segment was over he moved to allow the Senator and his wife to be interviewed. Cavett seemed somewhat ill at ease when the subject turned to the Senator's wife's ethnicity. Sly ended up carrying the interview from that point on discussing discrimination and was spot on, completly connecting with the Senator and his wife,while Cavett sat speechless.

I enjoyed this interview.I'd never seen it before today. Gotta love youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2BXgpIqiDw&feature=related

Sage 703

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  The 1st youtube vid is the one I was talking about. Once Sly's segment was over he moved to allow the Senator and his wife to be interviewed. Cavett seemed somewhat ill at ease when the subject turned to the Senator's wife's ethnicity. Sly ended up carrying the interview from that point on discussing discrimination and was spot on, completly connecting with the Senator and his wife,while Cavett sat speechless.
That sounds great - can't find it.  Apparently there is a DVD box set of Cavett episodes that has the whole show on it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009MAPX6/theverythingt-20/002-0598674-3180006?%5Fencoding=UTF8&camp=1789&link%5Fcode=xm2

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »
1. Spiritualized-Bimbo's 365
 2. Daft Punk-Red Rocks
 3. The Aliens-Larimer Lounge
 4. Wilco-Fillmore
 5. Tinariwen-Boulder Theater
 6. The Stooges-Fillmore
 7. Neil Young-Wells Fargo Theater
 8. Black Angels-Larimer Lounge
 9. The Warlocks/Kinski-Larimer Lounge
 10. The Omens-3 Kings Tavern
 11. Brightblack Morning Light-Larimer

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Cali:
  let's see--in no order

incubus - hammerstein ballroom & 930 (didnt care for albert hammond though)

Incubus played the 930 club this year? Where the hell was I?
xoxo

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  To be honest, I think you deserve more ridicule for liking Kathy Griffin than any of the shows you saw    :D  

Originally posted by mdh9857:
  1. Kathy Griffin- Kennedy Center
[/b]
i was thinking the same thing, it's like the icing on a cake of shit ... very funny stuff, almost looked like well-constructed flame
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »
I'd love to see Brightblack Morning Light. Hopefully they'll tour more extensively next year.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »
it's like crap on toast.

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

i was thinking the same thing, it's like the icing on a cake of shit ... very funny stuff, almost looked like well-constructed flame
(_|_)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by 6949:
You cannot be serious.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »
I have seen Brightblack a few times.  Apparently, they like Colorado.

azaghal1981

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »
They've only played here once as far as I know. I think it was at dc9 in june '06.
احمد

SPARX

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Originally posted by 6949:
You cannot be serious. [/b]
I can see how they missed it.
 There were only between 6 to a dozen threads on here about the show that week  :eek:    :eek:    :eek:

Cash is King

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »
Iggy and the Stooges 9:30 club
 White Stripes Patriot Center
 Yeah Yeah Yeah's Virgin Fest
 Queens of the Stone Age Ram's Head
 Flaming Lips Norva
 Elvis Costello 9:30 Club
 Slayer 9:30 Club
 Bad Religion/Gallows 9:30 Club
 Beastie Boys Virgin Fest