Author Topic: The Kaiser Chiefs  (Read 1514 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
The Kaiser Chiefs
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:03:00 am »
It's out today and worth the 7 or 8 bucks it will cost.

The Kaiser Chiefs could be lazily lumped into the current BritRock or 80's wave of band coming out of the UK these. However, I think the record could have easily come in the early days of BritPop.  Don't get me wrong there are 80's influence peeking through, but different from what others are mining.  

At first the album didn't really grabbed me, but a couple more listening and it's drawing me in.  I enjoy the bands sense of arrangement i.e. the "na na na na"'s and "la la la la"'s in the backing vocals, the subtle use of vintage synths, the fact that every song doesn't sound like the next.  To borrow from another forumite, the band has cheek and attitude.  It's not mad at the world just a little disappointed in it and themselves.

The record isn't perfect, it has the feel of being a collection of early singles and b-sides. But even the less consistent songs are better than most.  I recommend it for people who enjoy catchy singalong choruses, it will make the a good summer cd.  The albums overall attitude is snotty not overly serious.

On the Kos-mo-meter it gets an 8.0

I would definitely use it to DJ because it provides a variety of moods.

I will mostly likely want to check them out live regardless of who they are playing with.

For fans of Terry Hall, The Mood Elevator and Menswe@r.
T.Rex

Bags

Re: The Kaiser Chiefs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:05:00 pm »
I listened to each song on the album once, and I was reminded of Jet.  Now wait, hear me out.  The slower songs I heard seemed quite bad.  Not sure about the whole album...maybe I'll borrow it from someone and see if I like it after repeated listening.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:28:00 pm »
You heard Jet on that record? To my ears there is nothing that resembles Jet.  I hear Supergrass and early Blur.  And on a couple of the slower songs towards the end I hear Fun Boy Three.  But, even great minds can disagree...
T.Rex

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 07:13:00 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the pile of crap that sing.....

...."oh my god I can't believe it, I (don't know this bit) away from here"?

I was recently commenting how the quality of new music is really on the up...and this shite comes out.

They sound like a cross between Gary Numan and the Blow Monkeys or something like that.

If it's not them,...never mind!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
yes... but don't hold it against them   :p   it's a fun crank it up in the car go to the beach record nothing wrong with a little fluffing in one's life.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:12:00 am »
besides what would you rather the kidz being listening to.... the screamy sludge that eminates from the vatious Warped stages or some B- 80s retread with a few "na na na"'s
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 09:37:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  nothing wrong with a little fluffing in one's life.
are you sure that is the phrasing you were looking for?   :p

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 10:27:00 am »
as long as it's done by that hot blonde chick chaz is looking to marry  ;)
T.Rex

edbert

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
Let's see if Koz will still like this band now that... WRNR added their song "I Predict A Riot"

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
what is thing you call radio  :p   nah unless it's means battling loads of "I Predict A Riot" fans when they play an show in the area.
T.Rex