Author Topic: Calexico/Jason Collett Roll Call  (Read 2593 times)

xcanuck

Calexico/Jason Collett Roll Call
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:11:00 pm »
Anyone else checking this show out? I saw Calexico for the first time when they recently played with Iron and Wine. Really good stuff.

Having Jason Collett open really seals the deal. If you haven't seen Collett, he's a participant in the Broken Social Scene collective. I saw him when he opened Feist's show at the Black Cat and he's a solid performer. It's a cut above the usual alt-country influenced indie rock - a little more melodic and stronger sonwriting but still plenty of that whiskey twang.

Re: Calexico/Jason Collett Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »
My wife and I will be there. First time seeing both for both of us. Looking forward to both acts.

J'Mal

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:29:00 am »
calexico always puts on a great show.  i was very disappointed in the iron and wine show, that guy just bored me.

this will be better.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »
I'll be there tonite!!!

I was disappointed that Calexico only played for 30 minutes last time I saw them with Iron and Wine.

Can't wait to hear "Roka" live!
(_|_)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 06:54:00 am »
Calexico, while excellent musicians, were a bit boring live. Very little stage presence or personality. Mildly entertaining, but I wouldn't bother seeing them again.

Jason Collett (and his band), on the other hand, was much better. He brings much more charisma and presence to the stage, and the music is equally as good as Calexico's, albeit different. I'd definitely see him again, just not with Broken Social Scene.   ;)  

And speaking of charisma, I had a hunch that I was standing next to Brennser and his lovely wife. Brennser was diligently chomping the gum and daringly displaying copious amounts of chest hair. I was so excited I went home and ate a bowl of Lucky Charms.

J'Mal

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 10:13:00 am »
totally disagree.

collette was entertaining but a little too intentionally hip.

calexico was the real deal.

jude376

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:00 am »
Yeah, I thought Jason Collett was good, although a little theatrical at times.

Calexico blew me away with the very first song. I agree it dragged a little in places, but overall it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a while.

xcanuck

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 02:03:00 pm »
I'm in Collett's corner on this one. I really enjoyed his set and thought he was quite charming without being schmarmy. Then again, I've been listening to Idols of Exile for quite awhile so I'm predisposed to liking his live show.

Plus he brought his kid out to play guitar for the last two songs. I thought that was pretty cool. The kid looked kinda overwhelmed by the whole thing.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »
I actually like Collett's debut album a little bit more than Idols, but they're both good.

Meatskin_Sal

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »
I got to see the last half of collett's set. Is he trying to hard, or is that just him? I can't say.

Either way, I enjoyed what I heard.

I thought Calexico were great, although almost drab in some parts... but Joey's pure emotion more than made up for it.

Great night.

brennser

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:22:00 am »
And speaking of charisma, I had a hunch that I was standing next to Brennser and his lovely wife. Brennser was diligently chomping the gum and daringly displaying copious amounts of chest hair. I was so excited I went home and ate a bowl of Lucky Charms.
Sorry to disappoint Rhett but I was in Seattle!! I would have gone to the show if I was in town even though I am less than thrilled with their new CD