Author Topic: For the hitty-runny fans.  (Read 5296 times)

mankie

Re: For the hitty-runny fans.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2004, 04:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:

Originally posted by mankie:
  I agree that Madrid got Beckham for his celeb and marketing status as much as for his football talents, but he's every bit the player he's hyped to be and I would take him any day over the goofy-toothed Brazillian in Barcelona.

Man Utd sure as hell aren't the same team without him, but that's the price you pay when you have an arrogant bastard for a manager.
Just out of curiosity, have you seen the last two goals of Ronaldinho? In then days he has scored two amazing goals against Osasuna and At. Madrid. As for Manchester United, I don't know, I think that with Henry, Arsenal has the best player in the world and they look really tough in the premier league. I was also surprised by Reyes, the Spaniard they just got and the incredible goals he scored against Chelsea this weekend. [/b]
I do think Arsenal are slightly better than United this season, but what makes United the greatest team in the world is their ability to win when the odds are against them, thanks to the captain Roy Keane....he can bring out the best in his players, either by inspiration or out and out fear. Remember last season when Arsenal were ahead by 15 points with about 12 games to go? No other team could've come back to win the premiership other than United.

Having said all that, if they don't put a plug in that leaky bucket they call the defence the trophy room at Old Trafford will be empty this summer.

I didn't see the two goals you are talking about, but from what I've seen of him he's very inconsistent.

mankie

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2004, 04:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  in a related development, which is good news for sports fans:

Amen.

Football and baseball should NOT be played indoors. [/b]
Not even arena runny-catchy?

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 02:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  Top teams of the last three years in MLB:

1. Mariners, 302 wins
 2. A's 301 wins
 3. Yankees, 299 wins

And not a World Series Title in any of those three years for the lot:

2001: Arizona Diamondbacks
 2002: Anaheim Angels
 2003: Florida Marlins

And the same could be said for the top 3 salaries over those years as well - you could probably extend it to the top 5 (I'm guessing Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Braves, and Dodgers).

At first I was pissed at the Evil Empire for making the move, but then I thought to myself, after Kevin Brown gets hurt, does anyone really think that Mussina, Lieber, Vasquez and Contreras are going to get the job done.  I sure as hell don't.

If you want to get mad, blame baseball for letting it happen, but then think to yourself, all this is is another distraction for a team that has lost it's focus and it's edge in October.  Only Boston is really afraid of this team and I'm not even sure that's true anymore.  The best team in the AL will come from the West this year but you won't know it until it happens because the media only focus's on Boston and NY but has missed the improvements made by Oakland, Seattle and Anaheim.  

Take Anaheim alone:  Seriously - Bartolo Colon, Jarod Washburn, Kelvim Escobar, Ramon Ortiz, Aaron Sele/John Lackey with Brendan Donolley, K-rod and Troy Percival in the pen - and that's just the pitching staff!  The only other thing Anaheim did was add 30 HR hitter Jose Guillen and some guy named Vlad Guerrero to join Garret Anderson, Troy Glaus, Adam Kennedy and Darin Erstad.  

The pitching in NY is only marginally better than what A-Rod had in Texas.  They can score more runs in NY, but they sure as hell are going to have to.

A big YAWN to the move.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 07:58:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Take Anaheim alone:  Seriously
with that stupid monkey dancing on the jumbotron.  no, you cant take them seriously.

Guiny

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
   although i am still bitter that they called sid bream safe at the plate when he was out by a fucking mile.
If i remember right Sid Bream was the slowest guy on that team, you could roll the ball to homeplate and still get him out. I also remember a snail passing him as he rounded third, maybe thats what the catcher tagged instead of Bream.

Oh yeah, THE YANKEES RULE!!!!!!!!!! Its not their fault the owners that the they pay with the taxes pocket the money instead of going out and getting better players.

Guiny

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 09:49:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

At first I was pissed at the Evil Empire for making the move, but then I thought to myself, after Kevin Brown gets hurt.
 Take Anaheim alone:  Seriously - Bartolo Colon, Jarod Washburn, Kelvim Escobar, Ramon Ortiz, Aaron Sele/John Lackey with Brendan Donolley, K-rod and Troy Percival in the pen - and that's just the pitching staff!  The only other thing Anaheim did was add 30 HR hitter Jose Guillen and some guy named Vlad Guerrero to join Garret Anderson, Troy Glaus, Adam Kennedy and Darin Erstad.  
 The pitching in NY is only marginally better than what A-Rod had in Texas.  They can score more runs in NY, but they sure as hell are going to have to.
 A big YAWN to the move.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. [/QB]
Ok first if your gonna talk about whats gonna happen if Kevin Brown gets hurt then you have to wonder whats gonna happen to Anaheim when Vladimir get hurt, chances are he'll go down before Brown does then they have nothing. Well they have last years team. As for the Yankees pitching staff being marginally better than Texas? I cant see Chan Ho Park comparing to any of the Yankees starters......even in Columbus.

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
i have four words for you Guiny

Schilling, Wakefield, Martinez, Lowe

ok?

Guiny

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  i have four words for you Guiny

Schilling, Wakefield, Martinez, Lowe

ok?
I have two words for Wakefield.....Aaron Boone...ok so he's hurt but it was still fun to say. Also the Yanks have great success against Pedro, can you say Enrique Wilson....LOL.....As of right now Schilling has the Yanks number but he's not getting any younger. If Lowe becomes the Lowe of two years ago then that staff could be very, very dangerous. I'm still not convinced Wakefield will have another good year.

Also i'm surprised you havent rubbed the Bruins win over the Maple Leafs last night in yet   :D

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 11:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:

Also i'm surprised you havent rubbed the Bruins win over the Maple Leafs last night in yet    :D  
Ahh, yes.  5-2 was very nice.  Don't worry, you're still in first and until the Bruins take the division lead, i will keep quiet.

(does anyone else find it wierd that I am from Toronto, Guiny is from New England and we are routing for the wrong teams?)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
   Well they have last years team. As for the Yankees pitching staff being marginally better than Texas? I cant see Chan Ho Park comparing to any of the Yankees starters......even in Columbus.
well, i think chan ho park has thrown more pitches the last two years than lieber and contreras.  lieber was a good pitcher, but the first season back after tommy john surgery. . .he's not gonna be the workhorse he once was.  contreras is another cuban pitcher who suckered a team to pay alot for him.  brown is gonna blow out something, and mussina will be the only one left standing at the end of the year, as he moves 20 wins closer to 300.

i'm with smackie on this. . the yanks do not have the pitching to get them through the playoffs this year.  i'm really looking forward to watching the entire al east beat themselves up, while the west sees seattle fold in september and a's rise up glorious, once again.   :)

but i think the nl is gonna win the series again. . .be it philly, houston or chicago.  a yanks/cubs series would be fun because you have the ultimate fantasy teams facing each other. . .one built on pitching and one built on hitting. . .
OU812

sonickteam2

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
Red Sox over Philadelphia this year.

or i am really going to start hurting people.

i just hope we either win the WS or go 79-85!!

i can't handle another playoff series like last years.

Guiny

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
 (does anyone else find it wierd that I am from Toronto, Guiny is from New England and we are routing for the wrong teams?) [/QB]
I was thinking the exact same thing....Well not why i liked Toronto but how you became a hated Boston fan.   ;)

Guiny

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 i'm with smackie on this. . the yanks do not have the pitching to get them through the playoffs this year.  [/QB]
You seem to forget the power of George Steinbrenner's wallet, Mike Mussina will NOT be the last starter standing. We'll have at least two more starters by the time the trade deadline is over......LOL.......

mankie

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »

(does anyone else find it wierd that I am from Toronto, Guiny is from New England and we are routing for the wrong teams?) [/b]
I was thinking the exact same thing....Well not why i liked Toronto but how you became a hated Boston fan.    ;)  [/QB]
I can't imagine why anyone would support Boston, period....Boston or Philly. HATE EM BOTH!
   :mad:    :mad:

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »

(does anyone else find it wierd that I am from Toronto, Guiny is from New England and we are routing for the wrong teams?) [/b]
I was thinking the exact same thing....Well not why i liked Toronto but how you became a hated Boston fan.    ;)  [/QB]
Actually, it is easy, one half of my family lives in Massachusetts and if you dont remember, Toronto SUCKED bad for a long long time (80s and 90s) and Boston was damn good. So, to spite my buddies and have a winning team, i routed for Boston. Cam Neely, Terry O' Reilly, and Ray Borque were MUCH more fun to watch than Rob Ramage and Doug Gilmour!