Author Topic: Radio 4 / Small Sins roll call  (Read 3003 times)

sonickteam2

Radio 4 / Small Sins roll call
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:04:00 am »
Tonight, Sonar, $12.

i cant wait. Small Sins are one of the best new bands out there and Radio 4 is great too.

anyone else?

xcanuck

Re: Radio 4 / Small Sins roll call
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
Argh! I *so* wanted to see Small Sins. Thomas D'arcy is a really good songwriter and the band will be fun to watch now that they've added Kevin Hilliard (from the dearly departed National Anthem).

But...I've got a hockey game tonite and there's no way I can get up to Sonar in time. Why won't Canadian bands bands cross the Mason-Dixon line and play in DC? Grrr...

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Argh! I *so* wanted to see Small Sins. Thomas D'arcy is a really good songwriter and the band will be fun to watch now that they've added Kevin Hilliard (from the dearly departed National Anthem).

But...I've got a hockey game tonite and there's no way I can get up to Sonar in time. Why won't Canadian bands bands cross the Mason-Dixon line and play in DC? Grrr...
the mason-dixon line is actually between Maryland and Pennsylvania.  so tonight, they are crossing it.  technically.  :)

xcanuck

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 11:39:00 am »
So Sonick - just how were Small Sins last night?

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 11:58:00 am »
ha, i was just going to post.  they were fucking awesome!

so much better than i thought.  small stage for 5 sorta large dudes. but they were all playing all sorts of instruments and their sounds were totally original. the midi player, the bassist playing a drum, to the backing vocals, to the dude clapping into the mic, it was just a different sound from what most other bands have.

very refreshing and the guys were nice. I bought a tambourine there, it broke, they offered to give me another, but what do you expect from a $5 tambourine!!!!

overall, i urge anyone to pick up their disc and catch their next show.

Radio 4 were totally awesome as well.  only maybe 50 people were at the show so it was like a crazy dance party for 75 minutes while they played. plenty of room to move around and the bongo/cowbell/crazy dancing guy was even throwing out shakers, tambs and sticks out for us to play along!!!

the Selmenaires were very good too.

overall, it was really the best $12 i have spent in a while (well, plus the $20 for stellas, $5 for tambourine and $15 for a shirt!).

and probably the most fun i have had at a show all year!  :)

xcanuck

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »
That's not making me feel any better. You're *supposed* to tell me how the show sucked and they were no good   ;)  

Glad you had a good time, Sonick. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
great review! i guess it means now ill def. be seeing them at the bowery  :)  ive been holding off on this show for awhile, as theres too much other stuff i wanna see. but sounds like it was a good time  :)
HeyLa

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 10:44:00 am »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  great review! i guess it means now ill def. be seeing them at the bowery   :)   ive been holding off on this show for awhile, as theres too much other stuff i wanna see. but sounds like it was a good time   :)  
and should be an even better time as Radio 4 is from NYC and you should have many more people there!

(though the small amount of people made for more room to dance and a more intimate show)

its funny, no one was really even watching the band, everyone was just dancing.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
i saw radio 4 last time in nyc with ian brown. and everyone in the front was dancing, but not many others were. never quite understood. its still not selling out at the bowery, which is surprising, but theres plenty of other NYC bands to see i guess. ill try and make my way down there.  :)  if only to dance my ass off.   :D
HeyLa