Author Topic: How was Coachella?  (Read 11967 times)

K8teebug

How was Coachella?
« on: May 02, 2005, 07:51:00 am »
I was really sorry I didn't go, but it was a little too late on friday to decide that!  Hope all who went had a great time and didn't get beaten down by the heat.

sonickteam2

Re: How was Coachella?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 08:34:00 am »
i think it was only like 90 degrees there this weekend.  and didnt it just end like 5 1/2 hours ago?

SalParadise

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
this site was posting updates throughout the weekend:

http://www.mxdwn.com/

distance

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:11:00 pm »
a quote i found re: saturday
 "It was a LONG, tiring day, but worth it when Coldplay finally hit the stage. There was this horrible, weird band that came on before them called Bauhaus. Sorry to anyone who are fans of theirs, but they were just scary and way over the top. I can't even describe their music. It was very hard rock, kind of gothic and satanic. Not a good thing to have them on the same stage right before Coldplay. UGH. It was torture."

joz

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  a quote i found re: saturday
 "It was a LONG, tiring day, but worth it when Coldplay finally hit the stage. There was this horrible, weird band that came on before them called Bauhaus. Sorry to anyone who are fans of theirs, but they were just scary and way over the top. I can't even describe their music. It was very hard rock, kind of gothic and satanic. Not a good thing to have them on the same stage right before Coldplay. UGH. It was torture."
that comment almost makes me glad i didn't go this year...to see bauhaus, one of my favorite bands, live for the first time would have surely been ruined by the surrounding douchebag coldplay fans. how a band with only a halfway decent debut album and not much else under their belt could headline coachella is beyond me. coldplay blows.

Bags

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
Ugh, breaks a heart to read a reaction like that....

distance

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
  that comment almost makes me glad i didn't go this year...to see bauhaus, one of my favorite bands, live for the first time would have surely been ruined by the surrounding douchebag coldplay fans. how a band with only a halfway decent debut album and not much else under their belt could headline coachella is beyond me. coldplay blows.
i had to reply.  basically stated that bauhaus was more influential than coldplay will ever be and that bauhaus isn't nearly hard rock.

to that:
 "Well, everyone has their opinions. I have been a music lover my whole life and consider myself to be fairly up on the scene. I had never even heard of Bauhaus prior to Coachella, so not sure how influential they would be.

In my opinion, they were hard rock - or whatever you want to call it. Not my type of music whatever it is. And I use the term music lightly in this case. The music I listen to doesn't have to be ground breaking or influential. I just want it to sound good and Coldplay's music sounds good to my ears. That's all that matters."

Fico

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
Coldplay is an OUTSTANDING band...I'm a musician and I've yet to come across anyone who has mentioned BAuhuas as an influence...Coldplay keeps influencing current musicians and will prolly do the same for kids growing up...god you hipsters..

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »

to that:
 "Well, everyone has their opinions. I have been a music lover my whole life and consider myself to be fairly up on the scene. I had never even heard of Bauhaus prior to Coachella, so not sure how influential they would be.
So much for being "up on the scene".  Good Lord.

joz

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »

Originally posted by joz:
i had to reply.  basically stated that bauhaus was more influential than coldplay will ever be and that bauhaus isn't nearly hard rock.

to that:

In my opinion, they were hard rock - or whatever you want to call it. Not my type of music whatever it is. And I use the term music lightly in this case. The music I listen to doesn't have to be ground breaking or influential. I just want it to sound good and Coldplay's music sounds good to my ears. That's all that matters." [/b]
so this was a post on a forum somewhere? unless this person is like 14, i bet they would at least remember "so alive" by love and rockets. wonder if they're ears bled for nine inch nails too.

has anyone seen bauhaus' setlist?? if so, a link would be appreciated...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 01:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
  Coldplay is an OUTSTANDING band...I'm a musician and I've yet to come across anyone who has mentioned BAuhuas as an influence...
Does launching Goth an entire genre count as influential?
T.Rex

joz

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
  Coldplay is an OUTSTANDING band...I'm a musician and I've yet to come across anyone who has mentioned BAuhuas as an influence...Coldplay keeps influencing current musicians and will prolly do the same for kids growing up...god you hipsters..
try jane's addiction and interpol for starters. correct me if i'm wrong...coldplay has released only three studio albums so far, the first of which came out less than 5 years ago. i own that album. i'd like to know who has come out within the past couple of years that coldplay has "influenced"? seriously.

...and your e-mail implies that a "hipster" is a music snob. i don't think i'm either. i do have pretty eclectic taste in music,  but i have no respect for a band that puts out the same album over and over (e.g., coldplay, the strokes, etc).

ggw

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
  Coldplay is an OUTSTANDING band...I'm a musician and I've yet to come across anyone who has mentioned BAuhuas as an influence...Coldplay keeps influencing current musicians and will prolly do the same for kids growing up
You forgot to put the [/sarcasm] tags on your post.  

For a second, I almost believed you were serious.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 01:31:00 pm »
and i also think Bauhaus are give given credit in creating post-punk as well...
T.Rex

myuman

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
Over the years my tastes have evolved.  I've gotten to the point where Coldplay sucks and Frank Black screaming wave of mutilation is somehow melodic.  Buy I have a theory that we will are revert back to our pop roots one day, and do the cycle all over again.  I can't tell you the number of times I slip in a "cool" album when my parents (I'm 32) are present and think, "this sounds terrible" as they converse about the one Cher concert they saw or the latest American Idol.  Makes me think.  Isn't it all about entertainment?  Who makes the call on what does it for whom?  Maybe we think about it too much.  Let's face it... all musicians are thiefs.  No one is original really.  Live and let live I suppose.