Author Topic: Napster vanquished.  (Read 9538 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Napster vanquished.
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
i was wrong about the only downloading once

markie

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2004, 05:33:00 pm »
Are you sure about the one download? If your windows PC crashes mid-download, what happens? I would have thought it would let you download multiple times. It does keep a list for you of what you have downloaded via the store, right?

You can burn as many CDs as you like though, for backups and whatever.

ratioci nation

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
I checked apple support, if your pc loses power it continues downloading from where it was at the time, there is a whole support document saying you can only download once.

markie

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

regardless of whether or not emusic was viable ecomonic model, it will forever define what i view as what an electronic download should cost to me personally.
This is the essentially the same argument people use about napster and Kazzaa. It is a fallacy.

markie

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  I checked apple support, if your pc loses power it continues downloading from where it was at the time, there is a whole support document saying you can only download once.
I couldnt find it very quickly, thanks.

So that is quite cool to be able to do that.

ratioci nation

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2004, 05:43:00 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

regardless of whether or not emusic was viable ecomonic model, it will forever define what i view as what an electronic download should cost to me personally.
This is the essentially the same argument people use about napster and Kazzaa. It is a fallacy. [/b]
i'm currently paying .22 cents a track and therefore think .99 cents a track is a ripoff... no fallacy about it...
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2004, 05:59:00 pm »

i'm currently paying .22 cents a track and therefore think .99 cents a track is a ripoff... no fallacy about it...

You appear to be saying two different things. In the first I presumed you were talking about the old model. In the second you are clearly talking about the new model.

22cents, but you pay  less because you have to subscribe, for one. I bet there are plenty of people who subscribe who do not download their full quota.

For the casual music fan who wants the darkness and hey ya by outkast Emusic would be a lonely place. However cheap the downloads were, it wouldnt make a difference.

I bet there are more albums I want, especially in the top 10 download section, in Emuisc. But then I am probably more than a casual music fan.

Bags

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2004, 06:06:00 pm »

I am probably more than a casual music fan. [/b]
braggart

markie

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
If it was boastful, or empty I would not have said probably in front of it.....

I am probably the smartest person I know.

Oh and my point was, I hate the darkness, if find the whole thing derisible. And outkast has a catchy song, but I can find better fluff somewhere else, probably my navel. But both of those make the itunes top 10

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »
honestly, i have no idea what it was costing me a track under the old emusic plan... because some months i didn't download anything and some months i would get 10+ albums. i still felt as though i was getting my monies worth.  based on that i still feel $10 or higher is still to much to pay for a full album download.

the labels providing music to emusic weren't making boatload loads of money from the service, but at least they were getting paid.  matador once quipped that a few cents per track is better than nothing...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2004, 06:18:00 pm »
i would suspect that the typical emusic would have no problem downloading their 40 or 90 tracks a month... hell you can still get the entire CCR boxset for less than it costs retail.  they are also still adding titles from CD Baby, Koch, Kill Rock Stars, Instinct, as well as live recordings...
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2004, 06:23:00 pm »
  If it was boastful, or empty I would not have said probably in front of it.....

We all know that "probably" was in fact a feeble attempt at irony...     :p

vansmack

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2004, 06:57:00 pm »
Vanquished is a bit strong, there Markie.

This isn't much of a surprise to me.  But remember, start-ups don't have to make profits in their first years.

iTunes makes no money for Apple, they make money in the Ipods and other hardware.  According to Jobs, 77 cents of each song sold on iTunes goes to the RIAA and the other 29 cents can't nearly be enough to cover costs of running iTunes.  What Apple gets is brand marketing with the iPod, which is clearly a profit maker for Apple.  [SIDENOTE: The Mini iPod, however, will not be a profit maker for Apple.  Why would anybody buy that thing for $50 less then what it would cost to buy a device with 4 times the storage?]

Napster has licensed out it's hardware to Samsung, who I'm guessing is not making much money either as I'm the only one I know who owns the Napster/Samsung player.

All I know is my 20GB Napster Player (or any other WMA capable player) plays the entire Napster collection of songs (nearly 1 million) and holds 5,000 of those at a time for a measly $10 a month and for me it's worth it.  If I like the album, I go to Ameoba and buy it used after itā??s been out for a few months.  If I donā??t like it, I delete it and replace it with another album Napster offers.  So for $10 I have a great ā??rentalā? policy I guess, except my only limitation is hard drive space and availability.  

If you want to listen to new music, I donā??t see a better solution than the subscription to Napster.  Unfortunately, I must not be buying enough songs off of Napster, so that puts me in the middle of this scale weā??ve laid out.  I download from Napster to listen to new music on my MP3 player, but I rarely purchase music from them.   I still prefer the CD.  But I love my subscription to Napster!
27>34

poorlulu

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 08:42:00 pm »
Markie posting under someone elses account alert!

Originally posted by vansmack:
  Vanquished is a bit strong, there Markie.

This isn't much of a surprise to me.  
You were all gung-ho about it a few months ago....

[/QUOTE]
 iTunes makes no money for Apple, they make money in the Ipods and other hardware.  According to Jobs, 77 cents of each song sold on iTunes goes to the RIAA and the other 29 cents can't nearly be enough to cover costs of running iTunes.  
  [/QB][/QUOTE]

Math, not add. Does not compute.

RIAA or the record companies, surely the later. 20 something cents isnt so bad when you get millions of them. As long as it pays for marketing, as you say, then its free marketing for the whole apple brand.

[/QB]
 The Mini iPod, however, will not be a profit maker for Apple.  Why would anybody buy that thing for $50 less then what it would cost to buy a device with 4 times the storage?]

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Bullshit. that is a very blinkered view. Based on ultimate storage capacity being the be-all and end all. Only people who post on internet chatboards really need to carry more than 100 CDs worth around at a time. If I had to get a new player if the old one died tomorrow. I would get the mini. I dont mind just putting 4gb on shuffle. 40gb is more annoying...Oh it goes on sale tomorrow and they have 100,000 pre-orders. So if that is all they sell, well it wont be a failure. Plus It is close to the $200 gift price point.......

[/QB]All I know is my 20GB Napster Player (or any other WMA capable player) plays the entire Napster collection of songs (nearly 1 million) and holds 5,000 of those at a time for a measly $10 a month and for me it's worth it.  If I like the album, I go to Ameoba and buy it used after itā??s been out for a few months.  If I donā??t like it, I delete it and replace it with another album Napster offers.  So for $10 I have a great ā??rentalā? policy I guess, except my only limitation is hard drive space and availability.   [/QB][/QUOTE]

I didnt know you could put the tunes on your portable, without buying. That is super cool. But if I didn't know about it, well napster needs to spend money on marketing.

Markie posting under someone elses account alert!