Author Topic: Going to Ben Folds on Sunday  (Read 3357 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: Going to Ben Folds on Sunday
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 03:36:00 pm »
ben is AMAZING live.  
 one of the best live performers out there.  
 and yes, the shows are very audience-oriented.
 he usually splits up the audience to sing the horn parts in Army, and the harmonies in Not The Same...because...it's just him and a piano.  
 fun as fuck.

i will be there on sunday.  
 about 234098234 hours early, waiting in line outside, too  :)

shtee223

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 07:13:00 pm »
actually on this tour he has a bassist and a drummer who i know sing verses live on his cover of dr dre's "bitches aint shit." i hope that the audience interaction stuff still happens though, but the band will probably do some background vocals as well.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
i'm djing this show for which i'm a tad excited about.  was once a huge Ben Folds Five fan but  lost interest when he went solo.  expect loads of power pop, etc... now where did i put my Betallica CD...
T.Rex

jeremyfromva

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 08:30:00 pm »
Ben folds is gonna play somewhere around 20-22 songs tomorrow night.  I am so excited for this show.  I also heard he sticks around afterwards and hangs out at the smaller venues, so maybe he will chit chat with us tomorrow  :)
 Set list from another show on this tour from BF boardie!
 1. In Between Days
 2. Gone
 3. Theres Always Someone Cooler Than You
 4. Jesusland
 5. Bastard
 6. Still Fighting It
 7. All You Can Eat
 8. You To Thank
 9. Landed
 10. Bitches Aint Shit
 11. Zak and Sara
 12. Kalamazoo
 13. Emaline
 14. Brick
 15. Army
 16. Gracie
 17. Trusted
 18. Rockin The Suburbs
 19. Philosophy
 Encore 1
 20. Late
 21. Not The Same
 Encore 2
 22. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

That's right 2 Encores!!!

you be betty

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 09:06:00 pm »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!
 oh my god.  
 hokay.  i am SO excited.  i just popped in his new album.
 and i am most definately sticking around after the show.  
 in fact; we are baking him cookies.  and possibly corn muffins for corn mo  :)

i'm glad he got to some old stuff, too!
 all i know is that he needs to play underground.

let's start an underground rally.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 04:53:00 pm »
May 8, 2005

Arty, Twangy and Carey
 By BEN FOLDS
 The New York Times

Since dissolving his ironically named trio Ben Folds Five in 2000, Ben Folds has continued to ply his brand of piano-driven pop on his own. In April, Mr. Folds released his second solo album, "Songs for Silverman" (Epic), and he performs tonight at the 9:30 Club in Washington and on Tuesday at Town Hall in New York. Speaking recently with Joel Topcik, Mr. Folds discussed what he's been listening to and why.

Mariah Carey

She's got the most amazing voice. Although the production on her new album, "The Emancipation of Mimi" (Island), may turn some off, I find the sheer talent involved reason enough to listen. I love classic soul ballads like "Mine Again" and "Fly Like a Bird." I also like that she's using her voice on this album more like a male singer might, like Prince. She could show off and belt, but she's evolving and doesn't seem to need to prove herself every bar, so you get the interpretation of an amazing singer.

Ben Lee

Ben Lee's "Awake Is the New Sleep" (New West) is a great record - even if I didn't know him or hadn't played with him, I'd still pick this one. It's a very enlightened record with an almost spiritual message. It's not "All You Need Is Love," but if there was a message, that would be it. It's about letting your guard down and being yourself. The song "Gamble Everything for Love" says it all. It's got a country, 70's, Neil Diamond sound - think "Solitary Man" - but with a reggae thing going on beneath it. His voice and his style are one of a kind; you know immediately when you hear Ben Lee that it's Ben Lee. I guess that's why he annoys people, especially back in Australia, where he's a household name. But he's an individual; that's enough to annoy some people.

M. Ward

Matt Ward, the Portland, Ore., singer and guitarist who records as M. Ward, isn't as transparent as most songwriters I'm drawn to; I'm not sure who he is when I listen to his music. But I like the world he's creating. His new album, "Transistor Radio" (Merge), pulls you into this romantic, impressionistic world of someone who likes old AM radio. "One Life Away" sounds like it was recorded on a broadcast recording console that was state of the art in 1945. The album opens up into a very wide sound with his voice coming from all around you rather than straight up the middle. It tells you he wants you to be inside his head.

Greenskeepers

I don't know anything about this band. I just heard this song "Lotion" on Triple J, the free-form radio station in Australia. It ties into the movie "Silence of the Lambs" with the line: "It puts the lotion in the basket or else it gets the hose again." I've never seen the movie; I described the song to a friend of mine who'd seen it, and he immediately knew the line. But the song is great abstract storytelling - they're painting a really interesting, creepy story in the song. It sounds like art students all picked up instruments one day and decided to start a band. ("Lotion" appears on the band's new album, "Pleetch," on OM Records.)

Lemon Jelly

Ambient or electronica - or whatever the current terminology is for electronic music - isn't the kind of music I normally listen to. But the guys in the U.K. duo Lemon Jelly are really good. On "64-95" (Impotent Fury), their latest album, out in January, it's not clear where the musicianship comes in and where computers come in. It's not purely sample and loop stuff, either. I'm a fan of developed melodies and motifs and good composition, and I don't hear a lot of electronic music that's developed in a compositionally sound way; a lot of it just gets tedious. But these songs are very well crafted.

LCD Soundsystem

I love that song "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" by LCD Soundsystem, the producer James Murphy's dance music project. It's loads of fun. It's the first song on the current self-titled album, on Capitol. It has a little Talking Heads thing to it, also a little funk. I'm hearing a guy with his thumb on the bass in a really irresponsible way; it's not like Parliament-Funkadelic - he's just playing too hard. The lead vocal is just cocky and fun. It's the best kind of party.

Clem Snide

Eef Barzelay, the singer and guitarist for Clem Snide, is a friend of mine: I've been listing to his music for a while. His last record, "Soft Spot," was fairly mellow; "End of Love" (Spin Art), which came out in February, has a bit more of a twang to it, which I think is natural for him. He's always had that little bit of a country thing. Really, his old music and his new music sound the same to me - it's all about the words for me. There's a sadness inside his humor. A lot of people will just play a minor chord and tell you they're sad; the sadness in Eef's songs is emotionally complicated and not obvious, which makes it more real to me.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 06:32:00 pm »
what's the word on corn mo? worth getting there early?
(o|o)

shtee223

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
i really enjoyed the concert. corn mo was actually really entertaining. his rants inbetween songs had me cracking up. he put on a surprisingly good show. ben folds was amazing. he really involved the audience and was an overall incredible performer. the setlist was really good as well.

you be betty

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 09:41:00 pm »
wooo hooooo i have the setttt liiiiiiiiiist.
 uh huh.
 uh huh.
 corn mo = my life.  i love, love that man.

yes, i was one of the girls that threw the flowers on stage ;-)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 09:26:00 am »
we got there a little late and i just heard corn mo's last song, a metal version of hava nagila, which was pretty funny, i guess ... sounded a lot like tenacious d

ben folds put on a really good show ... i haven't been following his solo career so closely, so i didnt know a lot of the songs, which felt kinda weird to me ... but they all sounded familiar enough ... he's just a great songwriter ... i would have loved to have heard 'eddie walker' and some of the older stuff, but i know he's moved on from that for the most part ... fun show overall ...
(o|o)

shtee223

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 08:17:00 pm »
according to someone on the benfolds.com message board, ben was supposed to come back for a second encore and play one angry dwarf but 930 put up the lights and started to play music. how could this happen, a second encore would have been amazing.

melanor_rigby: Incidentally, I've word from another message board that Ben was s'posed to come out for a second encore (that was to be OAD) but that the venue put the lights on and the music up so people left.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »
well i wasn't there because i had to leave due to early start on monday, but this seems a bit far fetched as it's not hard to turn back off the lights and music quickly. and i'm guessin ben has his own soundman
T.Rex

cellmafish

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 08:44:00 pm »
ok guys, watching them live has been my dream for years, now there is the chance, but i don t know how i can get the tickets, i mean i don t mind calling sick tomorrow and get in line 7am, but i am already sick i can t wait all nite, do u think i would have no chance if i go in the morning? or is there anyone who would give me a big favor and get me one?
 just one...
 please email me
 cellmafish@yahoo.com
 or u know what call me:)
 202 4132310
 selma

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2005, 08:55:00 pm »
do you seriously want to post your phone number here?
T.Rex

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 09:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by cellmafish:
  ok guys, watching them live has been my dream for years, now there is the chance, but i don t know how i can get the tickets, i mean i don t mind calling sick tomorrow and get in line 7am, but i am already sick i can t wait all nite, do u think i would have no chance if i go in the morning? or is there anyone who would give me a big favor and get me one?
 just one...
 please email me
 cellmafish@yahoo.com
 or u know what call me:)
 202 4132310
 selma
what goes on sale tomorrow that has any relevance to the Ben Folds thread?