Author Topic: Return of the Show Conflict Thread!  (Read 15273 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Return of the Show Conflict Thread!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 11:22:00 am »
I'd only see Of Montreal again if they promised to play nothing but pre-Aldhils Arboretum material but that's just me.  :)
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 11:26:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  I'd only see Of Montreal again if they promised to play nothing but pre-Aldhils Arboretum material but that's just me.   :)  
LOL. good to know.

has anyone seen the dodos? im curious to know what ill be missing if i dont see them. ive seen of Montreal a number of times, but never seen the dodos. They sound great but theyre also playing with The Walkmen who I have no intention of staying around to see. Perhaps I can figure out how to do both, but thats prob very unlikely.
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
I've missed the Dodos every time they've been through here this year which is plenty.
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 11:38:00 am »
i would definitely pick the Dodos, but i dont really like Of Montreal all that much, so.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »
  I've missed the Dodos every time they've been through here this year which is plenty.
yes - it seems theyre here quite a bit which was my thought. i figure my chances are more likely that theyll come around again before of Montreal. Decision is made - assuming I can even buy the tix. hopefully its not like the franz ferdinand fiasco. if thats the case guess im going to the dodos  :)
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  so turns out i just ran into a conflict.

Dodos @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple
 of Montreal @ Music Hall of Williamsburg

although i already bought a dodos ticket, im leaning towards of montreal, as they never play small venues in nyc anymore. i figure dodos should be back again soon sometime and i dont think theyre as popular as of montreal, but i honestly have no clue.

anyone??
just to add to the conflict of the 16th - this sounds pretty cool.

Things will come full circle on this Tuesday night in December, when Sam and James reunite in a context that will be part conversation, part consternation, and part Ultimate Fighting.

Sam Lipsyte, author of "Home Land" and "The Subject Steve," and a recently Guggenheimed novelist and Columbia professor, began his descent as the much feared Sam Shit, front-man of the internationally ignored Dung Beetle Rock Band.  And Dung Beetle's engineer was one young James Murphy.

James Murphy, the man who resurrected disco via punk, is best known for his band LCD Soundsystem and his record label DFA.  James Murphy, upon being crowned artist of the year in the Village Voice 2007 Pazz & Jop poll, stated:  "I'm 37 years old. I'm 220 pounds. I'm a producer. I've got about as much likelihood of being a fucking frontman as Christopher Cross..."

New York Magazine profile of  James Murphy:  http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/profiles/29425/
 New York Magazine on Lipsyte:  http://nymag.com/nymetro/arts/books/reviews/10992/

Featured Artists
 James Murphy
 Sam Lipsyte
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 10:29:00 am »
Next thursday:

Boris/Growing/Clouds in Baltimore V. Skeletons/Kushti Rye Ergot/Max Ochs at the Velvet

Boris always put on a great show but the Velvet one is obviously more convenient and I've never seen Max Ochs and this new Skeletons album is pretty good so far. It reminds me a little bit of Dirty Projectors.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 12:20:00 am »
Neither   :)  

Just kidding - Skeletons if I were to pick.....

Next thursday:

Boris/Growing/Clouds in Baltimore V. Skeletons/Kushti Rye Ergot/Max Ochs at the Velvet

(_|_)

nowashburn

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 10:34:13 pm »
these guys rock!

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »
Antony at a small venue vs. Andrew Bird at the 930 (vs. Flying to Nola for the Britney World Tour debut. Chick might not make it all the way through the tour.)
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:09 pm »
Antony.
احمد

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 09:43:59 pm »
Honestly, it's really between Antony and Britney. I mean, I feel like the trainwreck potential for this is HUGE, and I want to be there.
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 01:28:54 am »
Autolux V. Motorhead V. Melvins/Weedeater/Down

Mono V. Polvo V. Jandek/Tim Hecker
احمد

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 11:35:25 am »
Jandek wasn't great live when I saw him. He wasn't even good, tbh, very sloppy. I'd go to Polvo.

snailhook

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 01:39:51 pm »
azaghal, where is polvo on the 26th?  baltimore?

regarding jandek, no two performances are even remotely alike.  it's all improvisation, whether it's solo jandek or with a band.  and if it's with a band, each band member must have never played with the other band members previously.

i'm actually playing with jandek at this performance; he chose me amongst a list of local percussionists, so i am greatly honored.  the other musicians are anton nikkila (from finland), alexei borisov (from russia), and pekka airaksinen (from finland, who founded the obscure but seminal '60s experimental/dadaist band the sperm).  nikkila and borisov play electronics, and airaksinen plays keyboards, electronics, and various percussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekka_Airaksinen

this will definitely be a strange jandek show, heavy on the electronics and strange percussion.  there won't be much linear rock n roll, that's for sure.