Author Topic: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico  (Read 66582 times)

nkotb

Re: Virgin Music Festival @ Pimlico
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2006, 09:17:00 am »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what would the point of making a US festival more like the UK festival, especially when there already is said UK version?

Originally posted by Jaguar:
 with a much better and more Virgin UK line up

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2006, 09:19:00 am »
So true, Sprklqueen. Also, the permit office is probably only checking for its local jurisdiction. The Walls Of Sound Fest and Roger Waters are in Virginia but, though I could be very wrong, I don't think the Virgin Festival was planned until after January.

On the good side, there's plenty to do for all of us, if we can only make up our minds. No good reason to cry too many tears either if one gets shut out of tickets for anyone's first choice because there are plenty of good options. And the BMC is FREE!!!...and won't shut anyone out...and I know the WoSF won't sell out with it attracting such a niche audience. Roger Waters is just too damned expensive so there may be plenty of tickets left for that one.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2006, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Maybe I'm missing something here, but what would the point of making a US festival more like the UK festival, especially when there already is said UK version?

with a much better and more Virgin UK line up
[/b]
It doesn't on an A/R marketing angle but you've read all the complaints so you know what it means. Or maybe make it less HFS Alternative-like and more Coachella Indie-like.

sprklqueen

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2006, 10:00:00 am »
quote: And the BMC is FREE!!!...and won't shut anyone out.

alas, it's not free, but it is only $10 ($5 for students & seniors). And with over 700 acres of park to play with, we def won't be shutting anyone out.
 Plans now are to have 5 stages hosted by the BMC with several other staging areas hosted by local promotional crews, venues, etc... probably will be 12 - 15 staging areas in all. Being all about all music of all genres, we'll have something for everyone there including a dance performance stage, seminars for those in the industry, artists, & other vendors.

sonickteam2

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2006, 10:11:00 am »
i think we should look at the lineup before making these rash decisions.

i mean, sure, RHCP is alterna-crap but Gnarls B, Flaming Lips, Raconteurs and CYHSY arent really HFStival bands. and the Who, well i dont know why any festival wouldnt get the who if they could!!

so lets wait til the rest of the show comes out.

besides, if the Virgin Festival had nothing but forum approved bands, it would sell about 10,000 tickets, tank and never happen again.

and furthermore, most people on here wont be going anyway cause its a big festival.  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2006, 10:14:00 am »
  Hoping so much that it's a big success so that we may have even more of them in years to come; albeit, with a much better and more Virgin UK line up.

Jag is hoping for a lineup better than the one she doesnt know yet.  i dont get it.

nkotb

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2006, 10:15:00 am »
This is so true.  Everyone is already griping about it.  Why not feel lucky that we're even getting a music festival with several decent bands.  Sure, I'd be more psyched for something like Chicago is getting, or even the Siren Festival, but beggers can't be choosers.

Originally posted by corporal clegg:
  i think we should look at the lineup before making these rash decisions.

i mean, sure, RHCP is alterna-crap but Gnarls B, Flaming Lips, Raconteurs and CYHSY arent really HFStival bands. and the Who, well i dont know why any festival wouldnt get the who if they could!!

so lets wait til the rest of the show comes out.

besides, if the Virgin Festival had nothing but forum approved bands, it would sell about 10,000 tickets, tank and never happen again.

and furthermore, most people on here wont be going anyway cause its a big festival.   :)  

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2006, 10:20:00 am »
  and furthermore, most people on here wont be going anyway cause its a big festival.   :)  
yep, i'll probably be down in fredericksburg for wall of sound that weekend ... jag, did i tell you i met someone who knew you down there?  he was DJing at some dc9-sized club, said he was helping to put together the wall of sound fest and in one of the bands playing there, can't remember his name for the life of me
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2006, 10:30:00 am »
  This is so true.  Everyone is already griping about it.  Why not feel lucky that we're even getting a music festival with several decent bands.  
yup. everyone i know in Toronto is totally stoked about the show.

ggw

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2006, 10:31:00 am »
Shouldn't you be staying home and blowing the shofar?

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

and furthermore, most people on here wont be going anyway cause its a big festival.    :)  
yep, i'll probably be down in fredericksburg for wall of sound that weekend ... jag, did i tell you i met someone who knew you down there?  he was DJing at some dc9-sized club, said he was helping to put together the wall of sound fest and in one of the bands playing there, can't remember his name for the life of me [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Shouldn't you be staying home and blowing the shofar?
only the cool kids get to blow the shofar ... and i identify with judaism on a national/cultural level, not as much on a religious basis ... you guys have so many questions!
(o|o)

eip

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
From the Post's weekend chat:

Wheaton, Md.: Heard the Who are touring? True? Are they coming here?

Richard Harrington: The answer is yes. Keep your ears peeled for a major announcement on Monday.

Mobius

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »
Let's be realistic.  Its not The Who.  Its Townshend&Daltrey.  And I'm pretty sure those two have just a small fraction of their power remaining.   Saw them at Nissan last go round (in 2000? W/ Entwhistle?) and it was rather forgettable (in fact, I almost don't believe it happened).  Wildcard potential for a resurgence . . . a la the Stones post-Bill Wyman. . . particularly w/ what appears to be additional hype this time around.

redsock

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2006, 04:03:00 pm »
  This is so true.  Everyone is already griping about it.  Why not feel lucky that we're even getting a music festival with several decent bands.  Sure, I'd be more psyched for something like Chicago is getting, or even the Siren Festival, but beggers can't be choosers.
I hope you feel the same way when the DAM! Fest line-up gets announced.

sonickteam2

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2006, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

I hope you feel the same way when the DAM! Fest line-up gets announced. [/b]
is the Who playing the DAM festival too?  ;)