Author Topic: Slint Roll Call  (Read 4231 times)

tenfifteen

Re: Slint Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
My two cents:

Missed everything but the last song from the first act. Sounded like it RAWWWWKED, Cookie Monster style.

Could not get into Long Live Death. Those lyrics were the absolute worst. I had a sneaking suspicion of suckiness when I saw a cello, a harmonium and a banjo, but I knew we were screwed when the dude brought out the three candles. No offense to anyone who dug it, but to me they were just laughably contrived.

Slint were great in terms of sound. Really enjoyed hearing some faves played so well.

On the down side, it was perhaps the most boring show I have ever been to. Spiderland and Tweez will remain in my all-time faves list, but I kept thinking... "we waited ten years for this?" I wasn't expecting Trail of Dead theatrics, but christ... I felt like the only time anyone was moving was when their leg fell asleep. Gaps between songs--unbearable. Someone in the balcony yelled "We have to work tomorrow" at one point.

I did too, and at 11:30, I bounced right as they got underway with Nosferatu Man. Frankly, I'd had enough. Brilliant band with a criminally underappreciated album, but live it simply was not happening for me. Flame on...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
I think the comments about them being great when they were actually playing are right on target.  The music itself was really good.  Very tight and powerful stuff.   But the songs would eventually quiet down....fade to black...polite applause...and 3-4 minutes  of darkness and silence before the next song.  That doesn't sound like a long time, but over the course of the show, that's about 30 minutes of downtime.  No stage banter.  They stood almost completely still during every song.  I take back what I said a few months ago about Interpol not being very exciting.   Slint sounded great, but were painfully dull to watch.

Decent crowd.  Not too crowded - maybe 80% full.  Quietest I've ever heard the club.

distance

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Decent crowd.  Not too crowded - maybe 80% full.  Quietest I've ever heard the club.
you obviously weren't near the guy that had his cellphone on speakerphone then.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
Actually, I was right beside him (in the back, to the left of the soundboard).  And the guys that the soundman told to shut up.  Overall though, a very quiet crowd.

I'm not sure what was up with the speakerphone guy.  It's not like the guy needed to be on the speaker to listen to the band.

distance

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 04:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Actually, I was right beside him (in the back, to the left of the soundboard).  And the guys that the soundman told to shut up.  Overall though, a very quiet crowd.

I'm not sure what was up with the speakerphone guy.  It's not like the guy needed to be on the speaker to listen to the band.
i was quite happy that he did that.  some people are just idiots i guess.  i don't know why people have to act like assholes at shows so often.

snailhook

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 04:37:00 pm »
Snailhook, I believe you said one member was the drummer from Oxes...is he not in the band anymore?
chris freeland is in the band still, but oxes are on tour, so he couldn't make it.

And Snailhook...great DJing. Do you have a list of songs you played?
thanks...though i have to share the praise with my co-DJ, who started the night before i could get there. he dropped some can, faust, talking heads, and versus. here's what i played before the long live death set:

flower travelin' band - satori part 1 (early '70s japanese heavy psych)
 roky erickson & the aliens - two-headed dog (red temple prayer)
 broadcast - come on let's go
 clive's original band - spirit of love (early '70s british folk-psych)
 nick drake - time has told me
 califone (which got cut)

we got pre-empted before slint because they play captain beefheart beofre every set on this tour, which is funny because we brought our own beefheart. after slint, we played:

yo la tengo - from a motel 6
 stereolab - *a cut from the recent one*
 rocket from the tombs - sonic reducer

as for the show, i thought pearls & brass kicked ass, the way sloppy power-trio stoner-rock should sound. the guitar tone was incredible, and i was rocking out in the front because hardly anybody was there yet. these guys will be at the warehouse by the end of the year.

i'm still not sold on long live death, though they were better than the last time i saw them. i understand where they're coming from (incredible string band, amon duul, animal collective), but they have yet to perfect it. the hippy-dippy vibe is a bit contrived, but they do have some darkness, so there's potential. it was cool to see a band like that on the 9:30 stage. i'm also talking to them about doing a warehouse show sometime in the summer because they match well with a lot of the folk-psych i book.

my thoughts on slint soon...

nkotb

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 04:45:00 pm »
Do they ever play DC?  I've missed their past several Baltimore shows; they always seem to play on bad nights for me.  Any chance they'd play at the Warehouse?

Originally posted by snailhook:
 chris freeland is in the band still, but oxes are on tour, so he couldn't make it

snailhook

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
Do they ever play DC? I've missed their past several Baltimore shows; they always seem to play on bad nights for me. Any chance they'd play at the Warehouse?
the last time oxes played DC was last april at the velvet lounge. there is a chance they'd play the warehouse, but i won't book them. it's a long story, but i have personal problems with oxes for something they did against arab on radar which i thought was completely lame and disrespectful. sadly, it has caused me to not take their side projects seriously,  including long live death at first, but now that i know some of those guys, i can say they're genuine.

I forgot to mention that I went through the entire show thinking "Wow, the bass player got FAT." Then I read the 9:30 newsletter and realized it wasn't the same guy. Which was good, because he would've really gone to waste.
the bassist is todd cook from louisville, who is the shipping news' bassist. he has played in papa m and retsin over the years.

sonicyouth42

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 06:26:00 pm »
Slint was great...when they were playing. The breaks between songs were PAINFULLY long. And I realize you're dark and serious, but no stage banter or anything? That made it a little unbearable, and definitely took away from the flow of the show. But man, when they were on, they were SCORCHING. Did anyone catch the setlist?
this is exactly right.  

Does anyone have a setlist of the show?  And also, did anyone tape it?  I REALLY hope that we'll eventually see a circulation of this one a la Louisville and that show in France.

snailhook

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 06:59:00 pm »
slint allows taping, and my friend taped it on DAT. i should be getting a copy by the end of the week. PM me if you want one.

distance

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 07:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonicyouth42:

Does anyone have a setlist of the show?  And also, did anyone tape it?  I REALLY hope that we'll eventually see a circulation of this one a la Louisville and that show in France.
there's at least 3 tapes of this show.
 i'm sure it'll be around.

redsock

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 11:02:00 pm »
Yeah, Slint was good, but the show atmosphere was difficult to handle. Their drummer is really good, IMHO. I impressed myself by staying for the whole thing. Expect a review on BY at some point i nthe future.

danknugz

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 01:33:00 am »
setlist:

01.good morning, captain
 02.charlotte
 03.darlene
 04.washer
 05.glenn
 06.breadcrumb trail
 07.nosferatu man
 08.for dinner
 09.ron
 10.pat
 11.don, aman
 12.rhoda

ggw

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

i'm sure it'll be around. [/b]
The show is up on easytree.  However, the recording is of a low quality.

distance

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2005, 05:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by distance:

i'm sure it'll be around. [/b]
The show is up on easytree.  However, the recording is of a low quality. [/b]
is this the sbd/aud matrix one?  i checked that out and wasn't too keen on it.
 if it's a different one, i know nothing of that.