Author Topic: Jedi Mind Tricks?  (Read 2889 times)

Jesse

Re: Jedi Mind Tricks?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 11:11:00 pm »
Just an observation from myself. Most of the hip-hop shows i've been to have been a good mix. white, black, asian kids, everything.

the shows i went to were NERD and the BEP, I saw the roots on the 26th and at College Park too, and Mos Def at Sonar.

I think Hip-Hop really is universal.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 03:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Xmasie Markie:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  first of all, i believe 930 is just known as more of a "white" place to be.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

At the Craig David show it was not. [/b]
yeah, at meshell ndegeocello it wasn't a "white" venue either
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 03:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Member 656:
 R&B stations don't usually play UG artist, so the average hip-hop fan doesn't know about them.
sure, but using that same logic, the average rock fan wouldn't know about the arcade fire because they're not played on DC101 ... people still find out about them,  buy their albums, and sell out their shows ...

this is a pretty segregated city for nightlife, and i'm leaning towards the 930 club just not being known as a hip-hop place ... kinda sad though, i'd like to think i'd go anywhere to see someone i liked ...
(o|o)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 05:30:00 am »
a gross generalization, but another thing to consider:  

white folks tend to buy tickets pretty far in advance, so there aren't always tickets available the night of the show when your average black audience tries to get them.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 08:43:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

MTV2 doesn't play them either.
That was my point. [/b]
Yeah but MTV2 is no longer about breaking new artist. Their ratings went up when they began airing the reality show repeats and commercial hip-hop videos.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

R&B stations don't usually play UG artist, so the average hip-hop fan doesn't know about them.
sure, but using that same logic, the average rock fan wouldn't know about the arcade fire because they're not played on DC101 ... people still find out about them,  buy their albums, and sell out their shows ...

[/b]
Finding information about the Arcade Fire isn't too difficult these days. They're on the cover of CMJ pretty much every mainstream rock music magazine have done write-ups about them.