Author Topic: Metro Proposes Increase in Fares  (Read 6725 times)

Re: Metro Proposes Increase in Fares
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 03:07:00 pm »
According to the Metro website, the distance the train travels from Vienna to Gallery Place is 14.3 miles. Are you saying you can drive a more direct route (12 miles) than the train does?

If you're going to a Wiz game, that one $3.35 peak fare and one $2.20 fare (assuming you're going on a weeknight. Also, parking is $3 at metro. So isn't it worth $3.50 extra not to have to deal with driving in traffic?

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  Try paying for the gas, parking, and wear and tear on car for the Vienna to a Wiz game on $5.
Vienna is about 12 miles to the MCI center. Assuming 20 mpg, that's 1.2 gallons.
 Assuming $1.75/gallon = $2.10
 Wear and tear amortization is about $0.12/mile.  For 24 miles = $2.88
 Street parking is free after 6:30 (or so).

$2.10 + $2.88 = $4.98 [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »

Originally posted by pollard:
 [qb] I thought that driving actually reduced the likelihood of a coming ice-age by producing greenhouse gases and thus raising the earth's temperature? [/b]
which melts the polar ice caps, lowering the temperatures in normally warmer waters further south and disrupts the global climate, and makes Europe freeze over

Random Citizen

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »
You probably could. Since Vienna is on the Orange line, you would have to transfer in order to get to Gallery Place, which is on the Red, Yellow and Green lines.

According to the Metro website, the distance the train travels from Vienna to Gallery Place is 14.3 miles. Are you saying you can drive a more direct route (12 miles) than the train does?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 03:09:00 pm »
and i work in tyson's corner. so i am driving to the metro from there and from home (bailey's). honestly, i wouldn't mind the fees so much if it didn't take like 45 minutes to get back to vienna. going to pentagon city if i am begining from home is much more pleasant. and those prices are per person. usually i drag my girlfriend along
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
  and makes Europe freeze over
That's a good thing, yes?

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 03:13:00 pm »
Why go through so much trouble to see the Wizards? Are Steve Blake and Jarvis Hayes that enthralling to watch? Granted, we are going to our token one $10 per seat game this year, but it's to see the Kings, not the Wizards.

ratioci nation

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »

That's a good thing, yes? [/b]
well there are ramifications elsewhere, the US is probably best positioned to handle such a climate change, although there would probably be horrible droughts

i read recently the pentagon actually has a committee studying all of these possibilities, led by the controversial person who wanted to restructure the entire military under this administration

mankie

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2004, 03:16:00 pm »

Not for America....what fashion trends, or music would you all follow then?

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2004, 03:19:00 pm »
Not true. You'd transfer at Metro Center, which is just blocks away from the MCI Center anyway.

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  You probably could. Since Vienna is on the Orange line, you would have to transfer in order to get to Gallery Place, which is on the Red, Yellow and Green lines.

[/b]

godsshoeshine

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2004, 03:20:00 pm »
  Why go through so much trouble to see the Wizards? Are Steve Blake and Jarvis Hayes that enthralling to watch? Granted, we are going to our token one $10 per seat game this year, but it's to see the Kings, not the Wizards.
i'm a fan of basketball in general, and being from pittsburgh i never had an nba team to follow. i've adopted the wiz for better or (mostly) worse. they are the only dc team i support, other than the united, and i am not that well versed on runny-kicky. i've never payed more than $25 for 2 tickets. i was mostly using it as an example, the mci center is where i go the most on the metro. i could have said "caps game", i guess.
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Not for America....what fashion trends, or music would you all follow then? [/b]
Twenty years from now we're all going to be following China anyway.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2004, 03:36:00 pm »
That's cool, I can relate. I imagine if I lived in Baltimore, I's see the O's more often...no matter how bad they are. Glad that a non-cable DC station got the rights to some games this year.

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

i'm a fan of basketball in general, and being from pittsburgh i never had an nba team to follow. i've adopted the wiz for better or (mostly) worse. they are the only dc team i support, other than the united, and i am not that well versed on runny-kicky. i've never payed more than $25 for 2 tickets. i was mostly using it as an example, the mci center is where i go the most on the metro. i could have said "caps game", i guess. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
Street parking within a large perimeter around MCI isn't free until 10:30 p.m. (2-hour limits, which would entail going out between periods to move your car).

Try paying for the gas, parking, and wear and tear on car for the Vienna to a Wiz game on $5.
Vienna is about 12 miles to the MCI center. Assuming 20 mpg, that's 1.2 gallons.
 Assuming $1.75/gallon = $2.10
 Wear and tear amortization is about $0.12/mile.  For 24 miles = $2.88
 Street parking is free after 6:30 (or so).

$2.10 + $2.88 = $4.98 [/b]

ggw

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Street parking within a large perimeter around MCI isn't free until 10:30 p.m. (2-hour limits, which would entail going out between periods to move your car).

I park in front of the Shakespeare Theatre (7th & E) after 6:30 all the time for free.

Of course, you probably don't want to leave your Escalade on the street.  Understandably.

Bags

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »

Originally posted by Bags:

I park in front of the Shakespeare Theatre (7th & E) after 6:30 all the time for free.

Of course, you probably don't want to leave your Escalade on the street.  Understandably. [/b]
It's true, it's a highly coveted vehicle, so I am worried about street parking.  I've been looking at Hummers...they appear more 'theft proof,' but I think it's just an illusion.

Don't know how you get parking that close...way to go.  Place is always packed (though, you know, I "lot" my vehicle for safety's sake).