Author Topic: Editors/stellastarr*  (Read 6157 times)

eltee

Re: Editors/stellastarr*
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
Glad it got bumped up. I'm old and need the benefit of an early show.

sparklygirl

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »
I'm not that old but it's good for people like me who can take the metro home and not worry about missing the last train.

Darth Ed

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »
I have to say I'm disappointed by the lack of love for Stellastarr* in this thread. I rank last year's Stellarstarr* show at the 9:30 Club as one of three best shows I saw at the 9:30 Club in 2005. But that's just my opinion....

Tom Servo

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I have to say I'm disappointed by the lack of love for Stellastarr* in this thread. I rank last year's Stellarstarr* show at the 9:30 Club as one of three best shows I saw at the 9:30 Club in 2005. But that's just my opinion....
Dammit, I thought I had this thing figured out.  Mobius Band and Editors, then over to BC for Destroyer and Magnolia Elec Co.  Staying for Stellastarr throws all that off...

Sage 703

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »
Yeah...I have to say that I love stellastarr* live as well.  I've seen them two or three times now, and each performance has been outstanding...

does anybody know anything by the Mobius Band?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 08:52:00 am »
I decided to ditch the Destroyer/Magnolia show and go see Editors/Stellastarr*. I just wasn't ready for mellow tunes. The well-matched Editors/Stellastarr* combo was exactly what I needed. A tight set from Editors. Tom Smith's voice is strong and his presence heats up the band. Munich and All Sparks were highlights. I was also surprised by Stellastarr*'s set. I thought it was very good and better than last Fall. That might be because the crowd was more familiar with the new album, and the band was feeding off the energy. Anyway, I'd planned to leave before Stellastarr* took the stage, and I ended up staying for the whole set. A good night of music. Now on to Hard-Fi tonight!

Relaxer

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 10:08:00 am »
I was a huge Stellastarr cheerleader after their first album and initial Black Cat show (with the Killers as the 3rd band), which was incredible, but was disappointed with the 2nd album and only marginally entertained by the 9:30 show last fall. I'm really glad to hear last night's show was good. Seeing them matched with Editors would've been a treat, and I'm bummed that I missed it.
oword

Sage 703

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I decided to ditch the Destroyer/Magnolia show and go see Editors/Stellastarr*. I just wasn't ready for mellow tunes. The well-matched Editors/Stellastarr* combo was exactly what I needed. A tight set from Editors. Tom Smith's voice is strong and his presence heats up the band. Munich and All Sparks were highlights. I was also surprised by Stellastarr*'s set. I thought it was very good and better than last Fall. That might be because the crowd was more familiar with the new album, and the band was feeding off the energy. Anyway, I'd planned to leave before Stellastarr* took the stage, and I ended up staying for the whole set. A good night of music. Now on to Hard-Fi tonight!
I personally thought Editors blew stellastarr* out of the water.  Their sound guy did a much better job of balancing out the mix, and Editors just seemed much, much tighter.  And they get such a huge sound.

This is the third time now that I've seen both bands, and I'm fully of the opinion that Editors are the real deal, and are going to shake off the "derivative" critics before long.

ggw

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 10:58:00 am »
I thought Editors were excellent -- although I could have done without the piano ballads.  Good energy and a big full sound.  I'm also sure my ticket said "the" Editors.  Is there a "the" or not?

I got to the Black Cat in time for Destroyer's set.  They sounded great while they were playing, but they had absolutely no flow.  Play one song - stop - talk amongst yourselves - play another song - stop - talk amongst yourselves - play another song - stop - etc....   But, like I said, the songs sounded excellent.

I skipped out before Magnolia Electric because I am old and decrepit.

Sage 703

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I thought Editors were excellent -- although I could have done without the piano ballads.  Good energy and a big full sound.  I'm also sure my ticket said "the" Editors.  Is there a "the" or not?

No "the," just "Editors."

lily1

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 11:14:00 am »
was i the only one that thought the sound was off and they need to pull up the vocals for editors' set? maybe it was where we were standing. i still thought their set was excellent.

i would like stellastarr* a lot more if they dropped the female vocalist and just let her play her instrument only. her voice is too whiny and detracts from the band's overall sound.

wxdude

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 11:39:00 am »
I thought both were very good, but did like Editors slighty more maybe because I have listened to the CD quite a bit lately.  I wasn't as familiar with Stellastarr*, but enjoyed very much.  I did think they would play a bit longer, but overall very good show.

brennser

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
I skipped out before Magnolia Electric because I am old and decrepit.
Hey, at least you made it out last night!

Darth Ed

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 01:13:00 pm »
Lily1, I thought the sound mix was a little off all night as well...

Editors were awesome! Definitely made me a fan. They were really tight! I agree with ggw's comment about the piano ballads though. They didn't add anything; if anything, they detracted.

Stellastarr*'s vocals were not particularly tight during the first half of their set especially, but they definitely picked it up a notch in the latter half of the show. Overall, I'd say they weren't as tight as their last show, but maybe the sound mix is coloring my judgment in that regard. After dragging early on, the audience went crazy once they played "Jenny". From then through the encore, the floor was just hopping, which was a lot of fun!

An excellent show, overall, and it was great fun to hang out with everyone in between sets again.

Bags

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »
I thought the Editors set was great -- and because it was unexpectedly so good, I definitely preferred their set to stellastarr*.  Of course, I've been mistaking stellastarr* for some other band -- don't know which one, but a mellow band, so I was also pleasantly surprised by their set as well.  A really good night out.

As for Editors, when I saw that no other bandmembers had mics, I was a tad worried that the vocals would sound thin -- nope, that guy can really fill up a song and a room.  Band was tight, sound was great, crowd was enthusiastic and fun.

And, got to say hi to a bunch of boardmembers, including the recently elusive Skeeter/Bombay Chutney (I think we've just been going to different shows).  Hi all -- glad to share a good Wednesday night with you!  Darth, you appeared to be enjoying yourself particularly!