Author Topic: The Secret Machines  (Read 1747 times)

Jaguär

The Secret Machines
« on: February 22, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »
Sorry if this has been posted before....

You can listen to the new album online here.

So far, my only problem is with the singer's almost Emo sounding, at other times, Alt-Country sounding voice, otherwise, I like it, so far. Before you go on the defensive, Rhett, I just don't think it works that well with the style of the music. The production is pretty good.

Upon further listening, it sort of reminds me of an American Super Furry Animals with an Alt-Country singer but not as complex as SFA.

Chip Chanko

Re: The Secret Machines
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 02:22:00 pm »
I really like the album! I clicked through one of their ads and was kind of surprised at how good it is. I was also surprised that it became my first ever iTunes purchase. Great stuff.

Also...that web site streamer works really well.

Jaguär

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
Glad that I could help make your day, Chip.   :D

grotty

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
Thx Jag -

I saw them open for Trail of Dead a few years ago & thought they were occasionally very good - showed lots of talent & promise.

They are coming to a VERY small joint here in a couple weeks & I think I'll have to check them out now.

This sounds like a pretty significant change for them - louder, more accessible &, I think, better.

Their first record did get some critical raves however:
  PF on Secret Machines

grotty

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
So...I just bought it too. Also my first virtual purchase. $8.91, a free sampler & they make it easy with paypal. What's not to like?

It'll be interesting to see if I mind having nothing tangible.

Are you getting a percentage of these sales Jag?    :D

Bags

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
I really like some songs (Nowhere Again, Now Here is Nowhere), am left cold by some others, and are neutral on the rest.  I'll keep listening, as it streams nicely and it's something to listen to in my office!