Author Topic: Anyone live in Baltimore and tried the new WiMax (Xohm)?  (Read 6837 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Anyone live in Baltimore and tried the new WiMax (Xohm)?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Sorry to hear that, but for us, won't you just take it outside and tell us the performance outside, any maybe just drive around a little?
well, the modem cant really do that, but i may hook up the Express Card to my laptop and venture around town a bit this weekend to see what kind of signal i can get.....just for you, smackie!

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
Sweet and thanks.  Between this and the ebay idea, you're quickly becoming my favorite boardie.

If it weren't for the fact that Bearman just sent me an autographed picture of Phil Mickelson, you'd have it wrapped up.

And to the rest of you - you've really got to start working a lot harder for my love.  The bar is really being raised.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 01:42:19 pm »
  Update on the Sonick/Xohm relationship.  I'll be brief.

Back in November when i purchased Xohm, I was excited.  the possibilities of having internet anywhere in my house or city was cool.  But this crumbled fast.

When i got the wireless modem and laptop card, neither worked anywhere in my home. I called tech support and despite their promises that they were putting up new towers "daily" i tried to cancel service.  The guy said to keep it for a week and try out the laptop card and the modem around town and maybe over the upcoming "sunny weekend" , so i did.  It was ok on my laptop when i was near the inner harbor or in fells point, but by the convention center and in mt. vernon, it sucked it up.  (oh and the tech guy also told me that my brick house was to blame.....well, its a smart idea to have your trial service run in Baltimore where EVERYONE lives in a brick house!)

Anyway, I decided to cancel and i returned the modem/card. As i waited for my refund, patiently, it never came.  About 3 weeks later (around Christmas) i called and asked what was up.  They told me it would take 2 billing cycles to put the funds back on my credit card.  Fine.

So 3 months later, I am calling them and they are telling me that they never got the modem and charged me one week of service that i was almost forced to "try out". 

After about 20 calls, they finally found my old modem and agreed that they owed me $204. Said they would expedite it right away.  That was last week. Today, they tell me "2 billing cycles" for my money.

They may be Sprint, but this branch is run by a bunch of slacker college techie geeks who have no business organization whatsoever, and even if they added a million more towers and made the service free, I will NOT be wasting my money on Sprints XOHM network. 

just a warning when they pretend to be having service in DC too. 

paul3mac

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 02:21:04 pm »
well this sucks, I was planning on signing up on 4/1, when I need new internet service... and the selling point was even if it doesn't work I'll be able to return it and get my money back.

FIOS needs to come to baltimore city asap.

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »
well this sucks, I was planning on signing up on 4/1, when I need new internet service... and the selling point was even if it doesn't work I'll be able to return it and get my money back.

FIOS needs to come to baltimore city asap.

Well heres some advice. Cause the service may work ok for you.  Buy from a Xohm store.  There is one in the Gallery At Harborplace. And make sure that if it doesnt work, you can return it for an instant refund (like any other purchase on earth).  See, i bought my modem/express card online and they told me i couldnt return it to the store, i had to mail it back. 

Perhaps the store is different, and in that case, the risk would be minimal.  what area of Baltimore do you live? I did quite an extensive test of the city with my laptop.

paul3mac

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 03:45:47 pm »
Ok, good idea.  I live in the Lauraville/Hamilton area... according to the coverage map my house is well within the coverage area.

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 04:06:35 pm »
Ok, good idea.  I live in the Lauraville/Hamilton area... according to the coverage map my house is well within the coverage area.

oh snap, i didnt go to Hamilton.  Man, I live in damn Federal Hill and i couldnt get squat.