Author Topic: I never thought this day would come.  (Read 6975 times)

manimtired

Re: I never thought this day would come.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 11:46:00 am »
i wonder what type of venues they will play when they tour..are they verizon big? patriot center big? or DAR big?...or will album sales help determine this?

Mobius

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Just curious...how was Use Your Illusion (or parts of it) not a GNR album?
easy: because it's not appetite for destruction.  only appetite is "really" a GnR album.  everything else is wannabe-GnR, even the subsequent albums made by GnR      :roll:   [/b]
The emoticon suggests skepticism (or worse), but i think it's true that Use Your Illusions are GNR albums in as much as the White Album is a Beatles album - which is to say 'fractured'.  Its Axl-heavy in parts, Izzy-heavy in parts, and occasionally a full-on GNR effort (eg You Could Be Mine and Civil War).  And a lot of bad songs which I'll pretend don't exist (unlike the White Album).

Sage 703

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  i wonder what type of venues they will play when they tour..are they verizon big? patriot center big? or DAR big?...or will album sales help determine this?
I think album sales and Axl's ego will help determine it.  My guess is they shoot for Verizon, but definitely nowhere smaller than the Patriot Center.

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »
Didn't they play Verizon a couple years ago? And that was with no album out. I know they were scheduled to, but a bunch of shows were cancelled.
oword

Mobius

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
Show at Verizon in 2002, along with many other arena shows, were cancelled, presumably as a result of poor ticket sales (disguised as 'illness').  In 2006 they played 1st Mariner - no idea how that tour sold generally.

Certainly before the album came out, most folks couldn't wrap there head around the surreal concept of GNR being Axl, Buckethead, Tommy Stinson etc.  Now its easier - since the GNR brand has been shapeshifted and people may be more comfortable that this GNR isn't the old GNR but may still have some value.

Personally I think Axl should continue to lay low, play a handfull of selected big shows that can be hyped individually (MSG, The Forum or Staples), lay low some more, and then maybe reform the old band for massive tour . . . although it seems like that ship has sailed

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »
"Appetite for Destruction" was a flash of brilliance -- and not just Axl brilliance but Izzy and Slash.  Like the best inspirations, it was more than the sum of the parts.   Unfortunately, Axl's been trading on that one moment of brilliance for more than 20 years now.

Even if "Chinese Democracy" were as good as "Use Your Illusions," which was good but no "Appetite," the overwhelming question would be "why?"   Who really needs an over-produced trip back to the early 1990s?   Unless you're the type of fan for whom a band you love can never do wrong, it's hard to imagine what this adds to anyone's life.
_\|/_

Mobius

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 08:45:00 am »
its not really a trip back to the early 1990s, or connected to any time, really.  its more like the soundtrack to  a musical.  axl might be the next andrew lloyd webber. and this might actually work as a musical - vampire rock opera or otherwise.

chillfill489

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 11:19:00 am »
glowsticks are awesome but not at 930 boooooooo

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 11:34:00 am »
i like glowsticks in a frozen, hypnotic, margarita, made with silver patron.  no boo.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
dunno if you've noticed, but your protest for glowstick justice is getting no traction.  currently, you're alone on this one.  but keep up the good fight!

personally, i think glowsticks are annoying visual clutter.  what is this, a 1993 rave?
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »
next thing you know, he/she will be advocating whistle blowing at shows.

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
This is intriguing... what is Glowstick's protest based on?  Are they banned?   Did someone get glow-chemical in their eye at a show?
_\|/_

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »
Looks like they're giving away a ton of Dr. Pepper.  Their website doesn't seem to be able to handle the traffic.

• my blog
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »
That would be an odd twist if Guns n Roses manages to put Dr. Pepper out of business...
_\|/_

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 06:18:00 am »
Loved the album leak then, love it just as much now. The only major difference I can tell is actual song titles this time. I'm hoping they do a completely ridiculous stop at SXSW, and play a random tiny show at Stubbs or something, then do like a 10-city arena tour. That'd be so sweet...yeah.

Shit, I'd settle for Coachella then arena tour. But I'd love to see some of this stuff in a smaller setting.
Woof.