Author Topic: What constitutes a real fan?  (Read 5408 times)

dave24

What constitutes a real fan?
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »
My girlfriend and I were having a discussion about seating preferences on the way home from REM.  I'm spoiled, and have always found my way into a seat near the front.  This of course, is becoming much more cost-prohibitive.

Anyway, she tells me she enjoys the cheap seats just as much, and always has a better time in them because that's where the "real fans are."

Why wouldn't the "real fans" be the ones who went out of their way to find a good ticket, instead of just take the "best available" that Ticketmaster decides to spit out of its system?  Are the people who settle for just being in the place just lazy, and not as committed?

A lot of the people in artists' fan clubs are rewarded with pre-sale opportunities which oftem times result in upfront seeating.  Why aren't they real fans?

I guess more concisely, are the real fans up front, or the ones who will take a seat regardless of where it is just to see their favorite band?

nkotb

Re: What constitutes a real fan?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
From what I've been able to tell on this forum, the "real fans" of any band that has the potential to sell out never even get tickets to the shows.  Seems to be the "real fans" are stuck outside of the gate...

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by dave24:
 I guess more concisely, are the real fans up front, or the ones who will take a seat regardless of where it is just to see their favorite band?
Can it be both?

How can someone compare the adoration that one person has for a band over another? What basis do you have to quantify that? The amount they paid for their seats? How much merch you buy? How many albums you have? If you know every single note to every song they're ever done?  "You're not a real fan because you're in the front.", "You're not a real fan because you got a cheap seat."

It's such a stupid argument. Why can't everyone just love the music and let that be that?
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:

Can it be both?

How can someone compare the adoration that one person has for a band over another? What basis do you have to quantify that? The amount they paid for their seats? How much merch you buy? How many albums you have? If you know every single note to every song they're ever done?  "You're not a real fan because you're in the front.", "You're not a real fan because you got a cheap seat."

It's such a stupid argument. Why can't everyone just love the music and let that be that? [/b]
Word.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
the real fans are the ones who show up and support their favorite artist - hopefully with buying merch and cds/vynl, etc.

im more used to that analogy at sporting events. At MSG im pretty sure the real (hockey) fans were up top. No one could afford the expensive seats and most seats were bought out by companies - so you'd tend to find the suits who didnt know a thing about the game and were just there on their company's dime (or entertaining guests).

I went to one game this year - on company tickets and they were awesome seats. But everyone around me was in suits, had no clue what was going on, got up every 5 mins. They didnt have a clue who was even playing (i fear they didnt even know it was the rangers either).

I also find the same thing with some of the concerts at MSG (or anywhere that there might be season tickets). Its not a general rule.
HeyLa

dave24

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

Can it be both?

It's such a stupid argument. Why can't everyone just love the music and let that be that? [/b]
It's all just asking for a matter of opinion.  It is OF COURSE 100% subjective.  It's not an argument.  It's a topic of conversation to see what others think.  Personally, I think it CAN be both, and probably is.  Some fans have more resources, but it doesn't necessarily make you less of a fan to sit at the back of the lawn.

It's really just a discussion to see what others have to say.  If you think it's stupid, you don't need to comment.  That's the beauty of freedom of choice, and expression.

dave24

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:

im more used to that analogy at sporting events. At MSG im pretty sure the real (hockey) fans were up top. No one could afford the expensive seats and most seats were bought out by companies - so you'd tend to find the suits who didnt know a thing about the game and were just there on their company's dime (or entertaining guests).

I went to one game this year - on company tickets and they were awesome seats. But everyone around me was in suits, had no clue what was going on, got up every 5 mins. They didnt have a clue who was even playing (i fear they didnt even know it was the rangers either).

I also find the same thing with some of the concerts at MSG (or anywhere that there might be season tickets). Its not a general rule.
I'm VERY used to that at sporting events as well...  I've been to games in probably two dozen cities.  As a general rule, the more knowledgeable fans are up top -- though that's a stereotype that has many exceptions.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
oh to be a fly on the dashboard of the davemobile!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
yawwwwn...
(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »
i just wish they would quit running out of xl mens shirts at shows.  who the hell is wearing small and medium, the heroin club?  america is a big country; give us our fucking xlarge shirts.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i just wish they would quit running out of xl mens shirts at shows.  who the hell is wearing small and medium, the heroin club?  america is a big country; give us our fucking xlarge shirts.
TOTES. I got the last XL shirt at the Swervedriver show, what gives.
Woof.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

TOTES. I got the last XL shirt at the Swervedriver show, what gives.

And, to answer your question more concisely Dave, I think a real fan would sit ANYWHERE they could afford to, not necessarily in the front.[/b]
Woof.

Tom Servo

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »
Real fans show their love by not attending shows with assigned seating.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:
  Real fans show their love by not attending shows with assigned seating.
LOL!

:)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:00 am »
try finding 3x or 4x shirts.  consider yourself lucky that your size is "standard."