Author Topic: Beck, playing DC tonight!  (Read 6561 times)

chokeychicken

Re: Beck, playing DC tonight!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 11:16:00 pm »
i really wish more musicians would do things like this.  I love it when bands play secret or non-publicized shows in much smaller venues than they're used to.

you can argue that this means everybody doesn't get to see them, but the important thing is that the people that are on their toes, do.  

more bands should do this.

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 02:41:00 am »
I got there at around 8:30 for the apples show and think I could've gotten in if I stuck around. Someone in line close by did a headcount and got something like 130. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay because I was relying on metro to get me home. The apples were fun if anyone cares.
احمد

yinzer

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 02:57:00 am »
the show was phenomenol.  funky as all get out.  worth the loooooong wait any day.

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 03:00:00 am »
setlist?
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 03:36:00 am »
setlist will have to come tomorrow -need to grab a few zzz's before tomorrow.  ugh.  played a lot of request from the crowd.  very intimate.

what an incredible show.  absolute clusterf*ck figuring out how the lines worked (or didn't), but if you stuck around you could get in.  i got there at 7:30, eventually got in.

i spent 80% of the show stuck against the stage - incredible.  funky as all hell.  i held the backup/keyboard dude's cowbell twice.  they played fro about 1:10, no encore.  the show wasn't so much mind-blowing as dissarming: these guys got off a plane, played on someone else's instruments (for the most part) and kicked major ass.  a girl close to the band took position as a bouncer in front of the stage- beck's GF?!?  kick-ass       :)      

spoke with justin (bassist) after the show, he totally enjoyed himself and looked forward to coming back to DC.

killer evening.  once again, these late shows are going to kill me... but totally worth it.  top 5, possibly top 3 show of the year in term of how much i enjoyed it.
<sig>

anarchist

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 06:33:00 am »
did they use the bc stage, pa and lights?  or did the supplement it?  that place is so small it would be hard bring more stuff in.   the stage must have been crowded.

K8teebug

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 09:04:00 am »
I'm sorry I missed it!  Hope you all had fun.

Yada

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 10:11:00 am »
damn...

WOuld've loved to have seen that show.

IF anyone has anymore details about the show, please post them!

thanks

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  did they use the bc stage, pa and lights?  or did the supplement it?  that place is so small it would be hard bring more stuff in.   the stage must have been crowded.
yes, no, and yes.  only PA i saw were two suspended bins which i assume are the house PA, nothing else.  from where i was most of the night (up against stage), there was no PA to be heard - it was all amps.  i don't remember seeing any mics on the drums, so the PA (and for the front rows, stage monitors) were mostly vocals. not the best sound, mix was understandably off a little, but definitely acceptable.

6 people on that small stage: beck (guitar/vocals), second guitarist/vocals, keys/cowbell/backup singer, way funky drummer, bassist, and maracas/cowbell/cheerleader dude.  no puppets.

the place was a flash-fest so i'm sure pix will pop up online, eventually.

Originally posted by Yada:
 IF anyone has anymore details about the show, please post them!
uh, lemme know what else i can tell ya     :)    

still buzzing from last night.
<sig>

i got id

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 11:10:00 am »
Here's what I remember being played. There aren't in order and I think I'm missing 1 or 2.

Devil's Haircut
 Freaks
 Nicotine and Gravy
 Do You Realize
 Paper Tiger
 Guess I'm Doing Fine (speed version)
 Girl
 Black Tambourine
 Hell Yes
 Go It Alone
 Think I'm in Love
 Nausea
 Motorcade

JohnnyBaconbitz

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 11:26:00 am »
Wow...it sounds amazing.

He did something similar in San Francisco in 2002 at the Exploratorium...one of the best shows I have ever seen.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 11:27:00 am »
man thats cool

beck....i am just destined to never see him!

nbers

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
also played "Wraith Pinned to The Mist and Other Games" by Of Montreal

nbers

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »
also, from the middle of the room on one of the riser things, the mix was pretty good actually.  I could hear all parts pretty well.  It was an excellent really dancy set.  Best show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
I hate you all, but then again i saw Beck at the Download Festival last month...but he couldn't live up to the set by MUSE  :)
(_|_)