Author Topic: VIRGIN FESTIVAL 2007...Pimlico or Stadium?  (Read 8380 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: VIRGIN FESTIVAL 2007...Pimlico or Stadium?
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2006, 11:21:00 pm »
Pimlico or MPP.

I refuse to go to anything (short of sports events) in a stadium. Any stadium.

Again, it all depends on the line-up. If it's an HFS kind of line-up, no way on earth!!! Go with the Coachella fare like Massive Attack, Portishead, The Stooges, etc.. Or a line-up akin to what was at Curiosa, with or without The Cure. It doesn't have to be those bands per se but please get some with more Indie appeal and sophistication as oppossed to 14 year old radio boys' wanksters.

If it's Pimlico, I would suggest more organization with On Tap and anyone else with busses for the out of towners. Maybe even something with Amtrack and the MTA. It's an easy light rail ride down for me, unlike my usual trek to and from DC, but I fully realize you have some obstacles to work around regarding Pimilico.

Btw, I noticed that the North Ave. Motel (or whatever they are calling themselves now) was on your hotel list for 2006. Might I suggest that you not include them again since they are scarier than your standard New York Ave., NE motel. It's full of hookers and drug dealers and the neighborhood is very sketchy. Instead, you may want to include some of the Towson & Timonium area hotels along with your downtown suggestions. In fact, for those hoteling it, maybe even work out some kind of hotel/festival transporation package. Being a former travel agent, I know that some are more than willing to accomadate if they can fill up some rooms and the price is right.

Also agree that the promotions should be on a broader scale. I can see why this year you might have wanted to keep it closer to home with feeling out a whole new venture. Place some ads in several of the music rags including some of the online sites.

On a personal note, I'm hoping that it is not going to be held on the same weekend in 2007 since there is another music festival already that a lot of us are already committed to on that weekend. Do you have a date in mind yet just so we can pencil it in awhile?

Thanks for asking for our input. Wish our politicians would do the same.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2006, 11:33:00 pm »
RFK please!

When you are ready for band suggestions please let us know...   :)
FUKIT

lily1

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 12:52:00 am »
1. rfk
 2. pimlico
 3. merriweather

HELL NO to Fedex Field. That place would skyrocket ticket prices. Ditto for the stadium in Baltimore.

it really sucks we don't have an open area like grant park in chicago, for things like this.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2006, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  1. rfk
 2. pimlico
 3. merriweather

HELL NO to Fedex Field. That place would skyrocket ticket prices. Ditto for the stadium in Baltimore.

it really sucks we don't have an open area like grant park in chicago, for things like this.
I really hope FedEx is not an option. I don't think Daniel Snyder needs anymore money after robbing ticket goers for the Redskins games with crazy parking prices and ticket prices. I'd rather go to M&T in Baltimore than FedEx if I'd have to drive to a stadium  :)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2006, 11:18:00 am »
With the right lineup, I'd go just about anywhere.  BUT - there needs to be at least one act that's either HUGE, or never ever tours to get me to a big festival like this.  20+ bands that I can already see once a year in a tiny club isn't going to do it. It may be a good lineup and a reasonable price for so many bands, but I'm not willing to put up with the other hassles for that.

You almost had me with The Who.  Had I not seen them before, I probably would have gone.  A Van Halen reunion would have had me there for sure.   :)  

Back to the original question, I'd vote for RFK just because of the Metro.  It makes things a billion times easier.  I wouldn't go to FedEx if it was free.

I was half-kidding when I suggested Merriweather.  Curiosa was perfectly setup though.

TheDirector217

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2006, 06:28:00 pm »
I would vote for RFK.  The element of the Metro makes it SUPER conveinent.  And as a sidenote (forgive me if I sound bitter), how about making sure the whole VIP ticket setup is in order????  I got fucked, with no vaseline, out of close to $550 for a pair of VIPs, not to mention an extra $200 for the 3rd VIP ticket I had to get off eBay because they were only sold in pairs.  The only thing I had VIP access to were crabcakes.  

With that being said, in spite of my raping, the lineup was solid & I really dug the Raconteurs, and The Who was  . . . WOW! Please make sure the VIP section is up to snuff next year (If there is one) & I'm back for sure . . .

SPARX

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2006, 07:34:00 pm »
Why did they cease doing shows at Lake Fairfax? As an out of stater, it was nice having a campground within walking distance from the 1st Lollapallooza. Anybody know why they don't use that place for shows anymore? I don't remember the sound being any worse there than other outdoor fests.

aglanixp

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2006, 08:33:00 am »
Camping area and the whole weekend (friday and saturday) are my idea of a festival.  
 The Gorge (in washington state) is in the middle of nowhere, 3 hours from both big cities in Washington, and they have the sasquach festival every year, and the camping is half of the fun.

ggw

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  Why did they cease doing shows at Lake Fairfax? As an out of stater, it was nice having a campground within walking distance from the 1st Lollapallooza. Anybody know why they don't use that place for shows anymore? I don't remember the sound being any worse there than other outdoor fests.
Fairfax County has a "no fun" clause in their charter.

That, and it is a little on the small side.

SPARX

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by SPARX:
Fairfax County has a "no fun" clause in their charter.

That, and it is a little on the small side. [/b]
Nobody mentioned it to us. We had a blast and nobody hassled us and there were a shitload of people there for the show. If I remember correctly, they also had HFStival there back in the day.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »
They had the first Lallapalooza there and it was a traffic nightmare. Probably the worst ever to hit Funfax.  :)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

saco

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »
Think big...The mall

SPARX

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
  They had the first Lallapalooza there and it was a traffic nightmare. Probably the worst ever to hit Funfax.   :)  

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
(sigh) Figures. It sure was a breeze just walking back to camp though.

Mobius

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2006, 11:45:00 pm »
I agree that a true festival atmosphere can't be done in a stadium.  A nice space to make it a Coachella East or Glastonbury West would be ideal, but there isn't anywhere in the area that doesn't have glaring access and/or karma (bull run) problems.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2006, 11:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  I agree that a true festival atmosphere can't be done in a stadium.  A nice space to make it a Coachella East or Glastonbury West would be ideal, but there isn't anywhere in the area that doesn't have glaring access and/or karma (bull run) problems.
So true. And, apparently, the British and those on the West Coast aren't such a bunch of whining wankers who expect it all right outside their own front doors. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Coachella or Glastonbury; nor most other well known festivals; have easy Metro access either. CMJ and other club hopping festivals don't count since they are of a different nature.

*Notice that I said most so don't bother noting those oddball exceptions.   :roll:  

As someone else above mentioned (Bombay Chutney, maybe), if you put in a good enough line-up and make it reasonably priced, most of us would bite the bullet and go wherever you find it best to book.