Author Topic: Recommendation  (Read 3907 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »
i second the ponys

BookerT

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
Good suggestions. As for NMH, have you heard Graham Smiths new one? He's definitely got a NMH vibe going.  
my g/f is probably the biggest graham smith fan in the country. seriously. i like him a lot as well. as someone who didn't really dig his last couple kleenex girl wonder albums, i think "final battle" is a pretty damn great record. there is definitely a NMH feel to this one, whereas there was a definite GBV feel to his earlier stuff. although graham's a lot funnier than jeff mangum ever tried to be. actually, we have an interview with him on our blog, if you want to check it out.

SPARX

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  do the collapse is the worst gbv album. try alien lanes or bee thousand or under the bushes under the stars
it was a just a joke suggestion, he has a long dislike of GBV based on a concert experience [/b]
Then let me only half jokingly add,the one and only,  JANDEK

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »
I'll second Sea Ray.  Very nice.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
yeah spoon is a good one. girls can tell, kill the moonlight
 mountain goats maybe
 built to spill
o/\o

freddyadu

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 05:29:00 pm »
where are you in south america?  it's a pretty big continent.  buenos aires has had some good shows, i.e. stephen malkmus.  there are some good indie bands in buenos aires.  chile has a good "alternative" band called los bunkers....and brasil, forget about alternative music..go look for tropicalia or samba or bossa nova.

you can even buy some cheap bootleg cds for a buck.  i once bought bjork greatest hits for 1.25 CD.

SPARX

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 05:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  [
my g/f is probably the biggest graham smith fan in the country. seriously. i like him a lot as well. as someone who didn't really dig his last couple kleenex girl wonder albums, i think "final battle" is a pretty damn great record. there is definitely a NMH feel to this one, whereas there was a definite GBV feel to his earlier stuff. although graham's a lot funnier than jeff mangum ever tried to be. actually, we have an interview with him on our blog, if you want to check it out. [/b][/QUOTE]
                                                                                                                                                                                                         Cool,I will. FB is one fine album. "Anne Marie" is probably one of my fave KGW tunes. 12 bucks is 12 bucks

Barcelona

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 05:45:00 pm »
Nice suggestions, keep recommending stuff. I know a few of them such as Jesus and Mary Chain, Spoon or Dinosaur Jr, but will try all the rest.

as for where I am in South America, I am in La Paz, Bolivia, where it is impossible to find one decent music store. This country has so many people selling illegal music and movies in the street that it is even difficult to go to the movies, no incentive for companies to bring movies here since you can find a dvd in the street for less than two dollars before the movie gets released in major theaters. Still, amazing country, one of the best I have ever been to, would like to stay here longer.

SPARX

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 05:57:00 pm »
Here is what charted this week at our local college radio station WFWM if you are looking for newer things:                                                                                              >
 > # ARTIST Recording
 > 1 DECEMBERISTS Picaresque
 > 2 A HOUSE FULL OF FRIENDS Various Artists
 > 3 SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES Origin Vol. 1
 > 4 JOY ZIPPER American Whip
 > 5 LCD SOUNDSYSTEM LCD Soundsystem
 > 6 KAISER CHIEFS Employment
 > 7 STARS Set Yourself On
 > Fire
 > 8 KILLS No Wow
 > 9 OUTRAGEOUS CHERRY Our Love Will
 > Change The World
 > 10 BEVIS FROND Bevis Through The
 > Looking Glass
 > 11 BLACK LIPSTICK Sincerely, Black
 > Lipstick
 > 12 ENON Lost Marbles And
 > Exploded Evidence
 > 13 CROOKED FINGERS Dignity And Shame
 > 14 DEAD MEADOW Feathers
 > 15 LOVE'S A REAL THING, WORLD PYSCHEDELIC CLASSICS
 > 3: THE FUNKY FUZZY SOUNDS OF WEST AFRICA Various
 > Artists
 > 16 BRENDAN BENSON The Alternative
 > To Love
 > 17 METROPOLITAN The Lines They
 > Get Broken
 > 18 DOVES Some Cities
 > 19 UGLY BEATS Bring On The
 > Beats
 > 20 MIRRORS Green Dream
 > 21 MAHJONGG RaYDONcoNG 2005
 > 22 MOBIUS BAND City Vs. Country
 > 23 YO LA TENGO Prisoners Of
 > Love: A Smattering Of Scintillating Senescent Songs
 > 1984-2003
 > 24 MANDO DIAO Hurricane Bar
 > 25 A FRAMES Black Forest
 > 26 MONTAG Alone, Not Alone
 > 27 HEARTLESS BASTARDS Stairs And
 > Elevators
 > 28 BLUE VAN The Art Of
 > Rolling
 > 29 LOVE TRACTOR Black Hole
 > 30 JOHN DAVIS John Davis
 >
 >
  www.wfwm.org  on the net

tenfifteen

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
Go to Giganews, get a USENET account, and fire up alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.indie

Download Spoon, M. Ward, Arcade Fire... only ones I didn't see mentioned above.

Barcelona

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 01:36:00 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions, so far I haven't been able to download too much, but I like Dead Meadow and Neutral Milk Hotel. What about Decembersits and Beulah? Should I try? Also, any good band in merge records? Besides Arcade Fire, I like Portastatic and the Essex Green, any other band I should try?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  Thanks all for the suggestions, so far I haven't been able to download too much, but I like Dead Meadow and Neutral Milk Hotel. What about Decembersits and Beulah? Should I try? Also, any good band in merge records? Besides Arcade Fire, I like Portastatic and the Essex Green, any other band I should try?
beulah's "the coast is never clear" is one of my favorite albums ... think breezy california pop with killer hooks and top-notch songwriting ...

if you like neutral milk, you'll probably like the decemberists ... i actually like all three of their LPs equally, just stay away from the Tain EP until you're initiated
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
   Also, any good band in merge records?
Camera Obscura is good. its good Scotish rock, sorta like Belle and Sebastian. (not like Idlewild or FF)

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
Teenage Fanclub's new album is coming out on Merge. But he probably already knew that.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Also, any good band in merge records?
Camera Obscura is good. its good Scotish rock, sorta like Belle and Sebastian. (not like Idlewild or FF) [/b]

BookerT

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
if you're going to get a beulah record, i'd say go for "when your heartstrings break." one of my favorite albums of all time, with two of my favorite songs of all time -- "emma blowgun's last stand" and "if we can land a man on the moon surely i can win your heart." "the coast is never clear" is very good too, but a lot slicker.

being on merge is as close to a stamp of approval as it gets for me. almost everything they release is worth checking out. if you want some prototypical 90s indie stuff, definitely check out butterglory, guv'ner, polvo, and of course superchunk. merge's reissue of the clean from a few years ago is one of the best things i've bought the past few years. newer stuff like camera obscura, destroyer, the clientele and the rosebuds is all really, really good as well.