Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 142381 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by callat703:
  No, it means she didn't play by the rules as the DNC requested.  In fact, 40% of voters turned out and voted "Undeclared" or some variation of that in protest.
Try not to confuse Mankie with the facts.  It's not nice to pick on old people that way. [/b]
I think that should be 'try not to confuse politics with the facts'

...as for FL, wasn't it the republican state legislature who dictated the date of the primaries?

ggw

« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brain Walrus:
  ...as for FL, wasn't it the republican state legislature who dictated the date of the primaries?
I doubt that every member of the Florida legislature is Republican.  The vote on the bill that changed the primary date was 118-0.

Bags

« Reply #482 on: March 06, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  for what its worth, id be less against redoing those primaries than simply counting the votes. ironically, those primaries could have meant more in the traditional cycle than they would have early on
The votes already cast CANNOT be counted.  There should be a re-do, paid for BY THE STATE. (Although I agree even that is a bitter pill to swallow because, in the end, these late elections will end being incredibly important -- due to their own flauting of the rules and the process.)

The governor and legislature f*&^ed up.  But they were fully aware of what the consequences would be should they move their primary.  A conspiracy theorist might even think that the FL Republican Governor and Republican legislature did so with nefarious intent.

Candidates did not campaign there, many folks may have not voted based on the lack of standing.  You simply cannot rely on the 'unsanctioned primary' results.

As for the overall rules changing, you know it was after 1968 that the use of primaries became common.  Until 1968 there were only 13 - 20 primaries per election (it varied).

And this whole Super Delegate thing -- just created in 1982.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #483 on: March 06, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

The governor and legislature f*&^ed up.  But they were fully aware of what the consequences would be should they move their primary.  A conspiracy theorist might even think that the FL Republican Governor and Republican legislature did so with nefarious intent.
yeah, damn the florida legislature and governor for moving michigan's primary...
OU812

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #484 on: March 06, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

yeah, damn the florida legislature and governor for moving michigan's primary... [/b]
That would be the REPUBLICAN Governor...and who gives a toss about Michigan, it's FL the republicans look to for dodgy vote counting, as history has taught us.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #485 on: March 06, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

yeah, damn the florida legislature and governor for moving michigan's primary... [/b]
That would be the REPUBLICAN Governor...and who gives a toss about Michigan, it's FL the republicans look to for dodgy vote counting, as history has taught us. [/b]
as GGW pointed out, it was a real partisan split of 118-0 to move the primary.  at least in florida everyone was on the ballot. . michigan democrats only had hillary, kucinich and none of the above.

btw, i might add that the RNC took away half of florida and michigan's delegates for this egregious attack on tradition.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #486 on: March 06, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
  btw, i might add that the RNC took away half of florida and michigan's delegates for this egregious attack on tradition.
In a winner take all format, a possible solution.  In a split delegate format based on precinct by precinct voting, that was never a possible solution for the Dems.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #487 on: March 06, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

In a winner take all format, a possible solution.  In a split delegate format based on precinct by precinct voting, that was never a possible solution for the Dems. [/b]
Oh my god, imagine the wrangling over wich precincts get to be part of the 'half.'

I was focusing on FL -- that's were my dad lives so we've been talking about it a lot.  Isn't Michigan one of the states that connects the East coast to California??

Bags

« Reply #488 on: March 06, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I doubt that every member of the Florida legislature is Republican.  The vote on the bill that changed the primary date was 118-0. [/b]
You got me, I wasn't aware of that. I should have known that everyone in FL is screwy (and I can say that because I grew up there...).     :cool:

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #489 on: March 06, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I doubt that every member of the Florida legislature is Republican.  The vote on the bill that changed the primary date was 118-0. [/b]
You got me, I wasn't aware of that. I should have known that everyone in FL is screwy (and I can say that because I grew up there...).      :cool:  [/b]
..and they're only screwy because they're all transplanted northerners.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »
A few months ago, it would've been hard to imagine any possible way the Democrats could screw up enough to let the Republicans take the White House again -- after this Tuesday, it's no longer difficult to imagine at all.
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2008, 12:02:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  A few months ago, it would've been hard to imagine any possible way the Democrats could screw up enough to let the Republicans take the White House again -- after this Tuesday, it's no longer difficult to imagine at all.
You have a much better outlook than I do.  I've been convinced since day one that the Democrats will find a way to screw this up.  Despite my begging and pleading to the contrary, they are well on their way.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2008, 12:56:00 am »
Well, it also took the Republicans to not screw themselves up... completely in spite of thesmelves, they picked their only electable nominee, even though that looked impossible a few months ago.
_\|/_

Sage 703

« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2008, 01:20:00 am »
http://www.surveyusa.com/

Very interesting survey looking at potential electoral votes in the general election.

ratioci nation

« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »
Hillary demands Samantha Power be fired and she resigns? When is Wolfson going to resign for the Ken Starr comment.