Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 145371 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »
if you think concrete foreign policy is horrible, then yes.  yes i did.

Sage 703

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
I think we were old enough to really appreciate what living under a Bill Clinton presidency was like   ;)

BookerT

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »
obama's like arcade fire. sure, itâ??s nice enough, although nowhere near as good as all these over-excited recent college grads think it is, and if i have to choose between either that or, yâ??know, nickelback (sorry for all the canadian band references), itâ??s obvious where iâ??m gonna end up and i will feel totally fine with it. at the same time itâ??s more phenomenon and feeling good about yourself and being around other people that feel good about themselves and being part of something really exciting man, when, in reality, itâ??s not all that exciting. if thatâ??s what works for you, hey, fine, at least you found something that works thatâ??s better than whatâ??s usually out there. but letâ??s not get carried away, yâ??know?

hillary's like, i dunno, yo la tengo. been around forever and hard to really get too excited about and kinda drab but you can always feel pretty confident the results are gonna be there in the end.

although iâ??m pretty sure ylt would back barack in real life. did this sound like something brian walalce would write?

manimtired

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »
i hope hillary's is similiar to bills policy "stick your head in the sand and hope nothing bad happens"...that worked out well.

vansmack

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »
  ...and I just cast my first official vote, ever!  
Congratulations!

I distinctly remember my first official vote - for new comer Bill Clinton in the 1992 CA June Primary.  It was nice to pick up one of the dozen or so Democratic ballots in my precinct in Orange County.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
you're old
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  you're old
And all this time you simply thought I was wise beyond my years....
27>34

ggw

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »
I have never voted.

True story.

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »
Amen to almost everything you are saying, but are there really more Americans in the 18-39 (born after 1968...thus 1969 and beyond) age range than in the 40-110 age range?

Originally posted by vansmack:
  I love the debate, even if most of it simply focusing on sound bites.

But, Dems, let's not out think ourselves here.

If you've followed things smackie thinks you should know, I've made it no secret since October of 2006 that I will be voting for Barack Obama, however that is not an endorsement.  I have also been saying from the beginning that no candidate is more important than the Party.  

All I want to see come out of this Primary is a united Democratic Party, because we've seen all too well what happens when the party is split and I don't think I could tolerate 8 more years like 2000-2008.  Whether it's Hillary or Barack, I just went a Democrat in the White House.  Let's not out-think ourselves here (even if that does mean I get to finally write "What's the Matter with San Francisco?").  So yes, be fervent for your candidate, but let's be careful in attacking the other primary candidate - it's certainly better than the alternative, isn't it?  

As Julian correctly points out, however, a nasty Superdelegate issue at the convention will put the Dems in spiral that could last nearly as long as the current Republican spiral (and by that I'm thinking 40 years).  This is the first year that the majority of eligible voters in America were born after 1968.  It would do a great disservice to these younger voters if the party couldn't solve this issue without invoking the Superdelegates, and worse yet if the Superdelegates didn't match up to the national vote.

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »
Convicted felon?

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I have never voted.

True story.

manimtired

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »
average 20-25 year old?

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Convicted felon?

I have never voted.

True story.
[/b]

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
No, he's mid to late 30's if memory serves me correct.
Originally posted by manimtired:
  average 20-25 year old?

Convicted felon?

I have never voted.

True story.
[/b]
[/b]

vansmack

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
  Amen to almost everything you are saying, but are there really more Americans in the 18-39 (born after 1968...thus 1969 and beyond) age range than in the 40-110 age range?
I have to run to a lunch, but I'll see if I can find you the stat when I return (I'm sure it was in the Economist in early January).  I was pretty shocked when I heard it, and I quite possibly could have misunderstood it, but it was about the difference in the Democrats this year as to how they handle what happened in 1968.

EDIT: I got it wrong.

The final reason is that, for all the endless comparisons between Vietnam and Iraq, America has changed greatly since 1968. Students are worried about getting good jobs rather than changing the system. The anti-war demonstrations have been insignificant compared with the draft-fuelled marches of the 1960s. The counter-culture has long ago made its peace with capitalism. Some 150m Americans, half the population, have been born since January 1st 1969.
That, to me, does not mean 18 and over, that would include those under the age of 18.  My bad and good catch on your part.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  No track record of accomplishing anything?  Come on now.
Feel free to refute my claims with, you know, a list of achievements Barack Obama has accumulated during his political career.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »
the longer record a senator has, the less electable they are in presidential elections
o/\o