Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 140340 times)

Sage 703

Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #780 on: April 16, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
It is the Brian Wallace dream ticket!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/16/the-boss-backs-obama/

The Boss backs Obama
 Posted: 09:40 AM ET

Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.

(CNN) ?? Rocker Bruce Springsteen has endorsed Barack Obama for president.

??At the moment, critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships,? said the New Jersey native, in a statement posted on his Web site Wednesday. ??While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision? Over here on E Street, we're proud to support Obama for President.?

In February, Springsteen had resisted making a choice between Obama and Hillary Clinton, telling USA Today that "there are two really good Democratic candidates for president. I admire and respect them both enough to wait and see what happens."

But he praised Obama, who cited Springsteen as the person he would most like to meet in an interview with People magazine.

"I always look at my work as trying to measure the distance between American promise and American reality," he told the paper. "And I think (Obama's) inspired a lot of people with that idea: How do you make that distance shorter? ??

Springsteen backed Sen. John Kerry's unsuccessful 2004 presidential bid.

Sage 703

« Reply #781 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:00 am »
Anybody else watch the debate last night?

I was very surprised at the questioning from ABC - and I join the chorus of people that are saying it was one of the worst debates yet.  I completely understand the point that's been made that you must go after these issues to an extent - but the first 45 minutes of the debate without a single policy question?

Sure, Clinton supporters are going to say that this is a reactionary defense of Obama being attacked.  Honestly, I was very surprised at how one sided it seemed to be last night - I don't think there are comparable debates in which Hillary Clinton was attacked as forcefully or as prominently by the moderators, but I could be wrong.  I also think it is valid that some of those questions are asked - I just didn't think it made sense to line them all up in a row in a single debate format.  Regardless - I'll be the first to say that Obama did not do a great job last night, and he looked exhausted and spent from the campaign trail.  That doesn't bode incredibly well for the general election.

That said - I think this is a defining moment of sorts for the campaign.  It was pretty clear that ABC News was going to focus on the "old politics" that Obama has been speaking out against.  So to me, this is an opportunity to validate (or defeat) the fundamental principle of Obama's message: that American citizens are ready for a new politics that focuses on issues and cooperation as opposed to political distractions and rhetoric.  If Obama's message is real, and people are actually ready for it, I think you see a reaction to this debate in the coming days that overwhelmingly favors Obama.

If it is not real, and these issues stick to him, then last night was truly a very bad evening, and probably is an indicator that he'll have a very, very difficult battle with John McCain in November.  But if he weathers this and continues to build support in the polls despite the punditry and media coverage saying it is impossible?  Then I think he proves that the public is ready for a higher level of political discourse that doesn't focus on these types of distractions.

Those are just some quick thoughts...I'd like to think about it a bit more, but I wanted to see what other folks thought.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #782 on: April 17, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
I think it was time for Kristy Lee Cook to go. The American voter got it right.

Sage 703

« Reply #783 on: April 23, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »
Baracky: The Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyhIBXNfqMA

This is great.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #784 on: April 23, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
You folks still liking HopeChange's chances over McCain in the general election?

America's starting to realize the emperor has no clothes.

Sage 703

« Reply #785 on: April 23, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  You folks still liking HopeChange's chances over McCain in the general election?

America's starting to realize the emperor has no clothes.
Yep, absolutely.  He'll trounce McCain.

I still don't understand how you think Hillary Clinton has any prayer of a) winning the nomination, and b) if in the exceedingly unlikely event she does win the nomination, coalescing support around her campaign after essentially having all of the rules upended in order to get the nomination.

vansmack

« Reply #786 on: April 23, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »
I'd rather be naked than have the chance Hillary has of getting the nomination.
27>34

« Reply #787 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
 I still don't understand how you think Hillary Clinton has any prayer of a) winning the primary, and b) if in the unlikely event she does win the primary, coalescing support around her campaign after essentially having all of the rules upended.
Because as disliked as the Clinton's have proven to be, their politics always find the center and appeal to lower and middle class voters, which HopeChange doesn't. The most liberal Senator in the country who has proven he can't win rural voters (unless there's a caucus, lol!!) and proven he can't fend off attacks has NO CHANCE in a general election. All the Clinton's politics do is win. I don't think you can see the forest from the trees.

« Reply #788 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I'd rather be naked than have the chance Hillary has of getting the nomination.
Since you're not running, don't you, by definition, have equal or less chance then Hillary of getting the nomination already? So basically you just want to be naked?

Sage 703

« Reply #789 on: April 23, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

I still don't understand how you think Hillary Clinton has any prayer of a) winning the primary, and b) if in the unlikely event she does win the primary, coalescing support around her campaign after essentially having all of the rules upended.
Because as disliked as the Clinton's have proven to be, their politics always find the center and appeal to lower and middle class voters, which HopeChange doesn't. The most liberal Senator in the country who has proven he can't win rural voters (unless there's a caucus, lol!!) and proven he can't fend off attacks has NO CHANCE in a general election. All the Clinton's politics do is win. I don't think you can see the forest from the trees. [/b]
You are absolutely delusional if you think Hillary Clinton would be able to keep the party together if the superdelegates upend the pledged delegates, the total state count, and likely, the popular vote in order to give her the nomination.

« Reply #790 on: April 23, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »
  You are absolutely delusional if you think Hillary Clinton would be able to keep the party together if the superdelegates upend the pledged delegates, the total state count, and likely, the popular vote in order to give her the nomination.
The only things they'd be upending is the unconstitutional and undemocratic punishment given to the 2.2million democrats in Michigan and Florida who were denied the right to vote through no fault of their own.

How many Obama voters do you think would vote McCain over a Clinton/Obama ticket? How many Clinton voters do you think a Obama/someone else ticket would lose to McCain?

Sage 703

« Reply #791 on: April 23, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

The only things they'd be upending is the unconstitutional and undemocratic punishment given to the 2.2million democrats in Michigan and Florida who were denied the right to vote through fault of their own.

How many Obama voters do you think would vote McCain over a Clinton/Obama ticket? How many Clinton voters do you think a Obama/someone else ticket would lose to McCain? [/b]
First of all, you show me the proof that anything done in Michigan or Florida is "unconstitutional."  I could save you the time - it is not unconstitutional.  That would require this whole primary process to be regulated by the Constitution.  Which it isn't.  It is regulated by the Democratic National Committee.  The Constitution has guidelines on the general election, but it doesn't tell parties how to pick their nominee.  That's why the rules have changed so many times.

Secondly, there is no prayer of a Clinton/Obama ticket at this point, even if Clinton were to somehow steal the nomination.  The only way that she would be able to do that is to throw so much mud that she would immediately marginalize her presidential campaign by choosing him as a running mate.  The bad press and spin would be deafening.

Finally, I think far more Clinton supporters will ultimately support an Obama ticket than people are allowing for.  I simply don't believe the polls right now that indicate high attrition rates from either Democratic candidate to McCain.  Those numbers reflect a cursory understanding of McCain's positions as he hasn't been challenged by a Democrat directly at this point.  When Democrats actually take a look at his positions carefully, I'm confident that Obama will keep the vast majority of Clinton supports from defecting to McCain.  After all - what kind of Clinton supporter are you if you abandon all of her issues when the general election rolls around?  What were you supporting, if not the issues she represents?

Like it or not - the fact is that Obama's coalition represents new voters, and new Democrats.  I'm not saying it is right, but these are the voters most apt to leave the party and forget the platform if he isn't the nominee.  The core constituency Democrats that Clinton has in her pocket will come around to Obama because of the issues - if they don't, then they aren't the Democrats they're representing themselves to be.  You're right - maybe Obama can't win without them - but Clinton will never win if Obama's new voters (plus scores of African-Americans who would feel as though the election was stolen from their candidate) abandon the party and the process.

« Reply #792 on: April 23, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »
LOL

manimtired

« Reply #793 on: April 23, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »
operation chaos is in full swing...and working.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #794 on: April 23, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
  LOL
gosh, i was going to disagree with you but 'lol' IN CAPS has swayed me. should have busted that out before the va primary
o/\o