Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 139582 times)

manimtired

Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #810 on: May 07, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I don't want to be crass, but the very real reality is if an African-American is elected President, the odds are over-whelming of an assassination attempt.
That's not crass, that's just asinine. [/b]
The acknowledgment that a small, fringe group of racists would be so upset with a racial minority president that they'd attempt an assassination is asinine? Statistically, Presidents are murdered at an unprecedented rate; you throw the racist factor in there, it has to be an even greater possibility.

I am not, just to be clear, condoning or encouraging an assassination plot against Obama. [/b]
calling secret service now..

Sage 703

« Reply #811 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »
I still haven't heard how you justify voting for McCain over Obama.  I'd be very curious to hear the reasons, as this would imply that you didn't support Clinton's platform, but rather, her personality. [/b]
Cough, cough.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #812 on: May 07, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:

I still haven't heard how you justify voting for McCain over Obama.  I'd be very curious to hear the reasons, as this would imply that you didn't support Clinton's platform, but rather, her personality. [/b]
Cough, cough. [/b]
First, you admitted less then a week ago that Obama supporters supported Obama instead of his platform and that was why a sizable percentage of them wouldn't vote if Hillary was the nominee. So back your black pot up there, kettle.

My reason for voting McCain is sort of like gangrene. When gangrene used to get in a leg, you had two choices: lose the leg, or die. When a candidate as terrible, unequipped, and elitistly divisive as Obama comes along you have two choices: lose an election or start the death of the Democratic Party. The damage that would be done if Democrats follow up the 8 years of George Bush with a guy who has zero experience, has proven unable to build consensus among voters who aren't under 30 or black, and has no realistic plan to bring about his "chicken in every pot" ridiculousness would cripple the Democratic Party. I can't see middle America ever giving the Democrats another chance again. Why would we deserve it?

McCain is not terrible, either. Sure, he wants us to go to war for 100 years, but who does that really effect other then dumbasses who join the military. I can assure you, the Iraq War, as terrible and unjust as it is, hasn't affected my day-to-day life. Let McCain slash taxes, keep idiots out of the US and in the Middle East for 4 years, and be his usual self on social issues. It's better then Obama shitting on the carpet and dragging his ass along the floor.

« Reply #813 on: May 07, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Aren't you yourself an elitist in calling people who join the military "dumbasses"?

vansmack

« Reply #814 on: May 07, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
  has proven unable to build consensus among voters who aren't under 30  
I think you meant to say 60.  He's been dominating many factors of the middle aged, especially among educated middle agers.
27>34

« Reply #815 on: May 07, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Aren't you yourself an elitist in calling people who join the military "dumbasses"?
How do you figure?

« Reply #816 on: May 07, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »
People who sign up for the military are often the same people who Obama disparaged. If he's an elitist, you are as well.

How do you figure? [/b]

nkotb

« Reply #817 on: May 07, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »
I think we've found the fundamental problem here.  If Julian can't figure out how painting an entire subset of our population as "dumbasses" is elitist, then most of these arguments seems pretty moot to me.

How do you figure? [/b]

« Reply #818 on: May 07, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  I think we've found the fundamental problem here.  If Julian can't figure out how painting an entire subset of our population as "dumbasses" is elitist, then most of these arguments seems pretty moot to me.

Do you consider people with IQs below 80 to be mentally retarded? If so, you're an "elitist," then. I mean, some people are what you say they are. There's a difference between claiming you are better then someone else and ignoring middle-America because they're bitter.    :roll:

Sage 703

« Reply #819 on: May 07, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

Cough, cough. [/b]
First, you admitted less then a week ago that Obama supporters supported Obama instead of his platform and that was why a sizable percentage of them wouldn't vote if Hillary was the nominee. So back your black pot up there, kettle.

My reason for voting McCain is sort of like gangrene. When gangrene used to get in a leg, you had two choices: lose the leg, or die. When a candidate as terrible, unequipped, and elitistly divisive as Obama comes along you have two choices: lose an election or start the death of the Democratic Party. The damage that would be done if Democrats follow up the 8 years of George Bush with a guy who has zero experience, has proven unable to build consensus among voters who aren't under 30 or black, and has no realistic plan to bring about his "chicken in every pot" ridiculousness would cripple the Democratic Party. I can't see middle America ever giving the Democrats another chance again. Why would we deserve it?

McCain is not terrible, either. Sure, he wants us to go to war for 100 years, but who does that really effect other then dumbasses who join the military. I can assure you, the Iraq War, as terrible and unjust as it is, hasn't affected my day-to-day life. Let McCain slash taxes, keep idiots out of the US and in the Middle East for 4 years, and be his usual self on social issues. It's better then Obama shitting on the carpet and dragging his ass along the floor. [/b]
I'm not saying that Obama supporters wouldn't leave the party.  In fact, I said very definitely that they would.  I didn't defend that.  I personally would vote for Clinton before McCain.  So back up yourself.  I'm calling you out for abandoning the platform your candidate believes in, as I would any person who abandoned the platform if Obama had lost.

And your response clearly illustrated to me that you really are clueless when it comes to this election.  That was just appalling - not only because your critique of Obama isn't grounded in any kind of factual statement, but the absolutely ridiculous belief that the Iraq war has no effect on your life (not to mention your complete and utter disregard for any member of the military).  Amazing.

nkotb

« Reply #820 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
You called anyone in the military "dumbasses." So Julian, who's not in the military = Not a dumbass, no? That seems pretty fucking elitist to me.

I'm not quite sure if you're implying that anyone in the armed forces has an IQ below 80 or what with your comment below, but it's just plain idiotic.

Do you consider people with IQs below 80 to be mentally retarded? If so, you're an "elitist," then. I mean, some people are what you say they are. There's a difference between claiming you are better then someone else and ignoring middle-America because they're bitter.     :roll:  

« Reply #821 on: May 07, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
  your critique of Obama isn't grounded in any kind of factual statement,
His entire campaign is devoid of factual statements. We call him HopeChange for a reason.

Sage 703

« Reply #822 on: May 07, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

your critique of Obama isn't grounded in any kind of factual statement,
His entire campaign is devoid of factual statements. We call him HopeChange for a reason. [/b]
And....you've made my point.

« Reply #823 on: May 07, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »
  You called anyone in the military "dumbasses." So Julian, who's not in the military = Not a dumbass, no?
No, that's a logical fallacy. I didn't say "all dumbasses are in the army," just that people who are in the army are dumbasses. There are all sorts of dumbasses who've stepped nowhere near military 'service.' I could very well be a dumbass myself.

[QB]I'm not quite sure if you're implying that anyone in the armed forces has an IQ below 80 or what with your comment below
I'm not. I'm saying people with an IQ under 80, are legally mentally handicapped. Does calling someone with an IQ under 80 "mentally handicapped" make you an elitist? No, the same way calling someone with full-blown AIDS "sick" isn't elitist. Sometimes some people are, in fact, what we say they are.

nkotb

« Reply #824 on: May 07, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »
Exactly...you're calling "people who are in the army are dumbasses."  Again, how are you missing that as an elitist statement?

You called anyone in the military "dumbasses." So Julian, who's not in the military = Not a dumbass, no?
No, that's a logical fallacy. I didn't say "all dumbasses are in the army," just that people who are in the army are dumbasses. There are all sorts of dumbasses who've stepped nowhere near military 'service.' [/b]

I could very well be a dumbass myself.
No argument there
   :roll: