Author Topic: nine thirty question for the bosses  (Read 4997 times)

Bags

Re: nine thirty question for the bosses
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 07:26:00 pm »
By the way, snailhook -- nice focus in Volume.   ;)

snailhook

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 07:35:00 pm »
bags, kurosawa told me yesterday that i was in it. i had no idea. i'm afraid to see which show was "my favorite." i'll find out tonight...

Bags

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 07:43:00 pm »
All good shows...well, two good shows (that's not fair, though, I didn't see Bright Eyes).  I'm interested to see if more people say hi to you at the club now?  I see you a lot (for instance, at QOTSA), but don't always say hi because I know you're workin'.

In your profile, I was disappointed in the lack of scuzz metal bands listed, though.   ;)

snailhook

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 08:01:00 pm »
bright eyes?!? they got me good with that one. there are very few bands that i detest more, and that show in january was awful.

they didn't list any scuzz metal bands (sourvein, warhorse, earthride) because they might as well be in greek to most people, hahaha.

i am an enigma!

i doubt more people will say hi to me because i usually have a scowl on my face. i was born with it.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 08:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  battle of the bands events are totally lame. usually, the worst bands participate, because the better bands know they are above it.
oh come on, most of those "bad" bands try their darndest, can't we give them an A for effort?

why are you trying to ruin the fun of those of us who like to watch a bunch of high schoolers flail around on stage just because you have decent taste in music?

damn you snailhook, mark my words, your illegitimate reign as promoter/music expert will end.

ps: thanks for the warehouse emails, more venues should put in the effort and do something like that.
(o|o)

snailhook

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »
ha, is this where i turn off the sarcasmaradar and start a flame war?

i have no problem with being an elitist prick. someone has to do it. just as long as i'm not labeled "closed-minded."

and thanks for the acknowledgment regarding the warehouse emails. i think detailed descriptions are important, even if only 10% of the people read them. how else can you turn people on to something they have likely not heard?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 12:37:00 am »
  ha, is this where i turn off the sarcasmaradar

no no, please turn it back on ... emergency power needed
(o|o)

sparky

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  i know someone who got dragged to velvet lounge for that emergenza crap ... i heard bad, bad, bad, bad things...
i believe the third round of emergenza is being held at 930, actually.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by sparky:
 i believe the third round of emergenza is being held at 930, actually.
yep, June 5th

just looked at the info for the first time ... jeez, i wonder why all the good bands in DC aren't in this?
(o|o)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
What about instead of a "battle" like a DC bands showcase where a bunch of the more popular area working bands (Carlsonics, WSC, etc) just all played on the same night. I'd go to something like that.

Bags

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 03:12:00 pm »
  thanks for the acknowledgment regarding the warehouse emails. i think detailed descriptions are important, even if only 10% of the people read them. how else can you turn people on to something they have likely not heard?
I agree with the appreciation of the great emails -- I've only been to Warehouse a few times, but all three times I went due to the write-up (I always read it, hence my earlier reference to 'scuzz metal,' which is a genre name I like so much, makes me wish I liked the music as well!  I've also forwarded the emails to friends who would be more likely to go to certain shows based on the descriptions...)    ;)

walkonby

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by jaron:
  What about instead of a "battle" like a DC bands showcase where a bunch of the more popular area working bands (Carlsonics, WSC, etc) just all played on the same night. I'd go to something like that.
how about battle of the "you've already made it" bands.  moby vs. fatboy, bright eyes vs. wilco, le tigre vs. the dave matthews band.  that last one would be great.  have those high dollar egos come down to nine thirty and see if they can compete.  now that would be a ticket that i don't think one person would bitch about service charges.  well, wait a minute . . . .

Sir HC

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »
I have been on the tech side of battles of the bands.  Nothing makes you less happy than trying to mix (both monitors and FOH) for 10-20 different groups who then will blame you for any fault.  The money is not that good unless I were allowed to smash bottles over the heads of those most deserving.

Twangirl probably remembers the Fletchers benefit for Hank III's fiddle guy, wasn't that like 15-20 bands?  I got to work that one...

walkonby

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
that's why you have big name acts fight it out, to a gwar like death.  can you imagine ani d. vs. tori a.?  they can use their own sound people, their own everything people to blame, and the club can space it out over a week or two, and charge what you want depending on who is battling that night, or have lotteries, or like in monty p.'s holy grail.  "what . . . is your favorite colour?"

Sir HC

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
The cool one would be like Jamacian Sound Systems where they would set up opposite each other and whoever could get the biggest crowd would win.