Author Topic: Little Wayne snags eight Grammy nominations  (Read 2845 times)

Little Wayne snags eight Grammy nominations
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:44:51 am »
That's right EIGHT! I can't believe you guys disparaged this guy, the highlight of VFest. Thank you, Grammy people, for validating this major talent. Coldplay and John Mayer, too!

sonickteam2

Re: Little Wayne snags eight Grammy nominations
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:31 am »
  It really amazes me.  I mean, if anyone can find a link to who actually gets to vote on this stuff and what criteria they are "supposed" to use. 

It just seems with the amount of music out there that the awards wouldn't go to the same bands year in year out.  Its laughable.  more laughable than that new Secret Millionaire show.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
  It really amazes me.  I mean, if anyone can find a link to who actually gets to vote on this stuff and what criteria they are "supposed" to use. 

It just seems with the amount of music out there that the awards wouldn't go to the same bands year in year out.  Its laughable.  more laughable than that new Secret Millionaire show.

You need creative or technical credits (8-ish songs) on a cd. That's not an exact quote but it's close enough.  I'm not a voting member but my previous boss (40 years my senior) is.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:07:21 pm by 6949 »
xoxo

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:12:38 pm »

You need creative or technical credits (8-ish songs) on a cd. That's not an exact quote but it's close enough.  I'm not a voting member but my previous boss (40 years my senior) is.

You only need 6, but that's pretty much spot on.  You basically need writing or technical credit on six songs to be a member and that can be: vocalists, conductors, songwriters, composers, engineers, producers, instrumentalists, arrangers, art directors, album notes writers, narrators, and music video artists and technicians.

27>34

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:15:28 pm »
It's amazing to me how unrelevant the Grammys have become (in my mind at least)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:25:22 pm »
It's amazing to me how unrelevant the Grammys have become (in my mind at least)

that's funny, because just about every reaction i've heard is how suddenly relevant the Grammys are this year after decades of irrelevance
(o|o)

bull930

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 03:22:08 am »
I am just glad MIA got nominated!!!!! Gives me a little faith in the Grammys.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:23:39 pm »
Didn't her album come out before last year's grammy's? Doesn't that mean she can't be nominated for this year''s grammy's?

Ugh. The Grammy's.
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »
It's her single Paper Planes that got nominated, not the album...paper planes came out in 08.

It's not really surprising that she got nominated, considering the song peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100...Grammy's like the hits...

Didn't her album come out before last year's grammy's? Doesn't that mean she can't be nominated for this year''s grammy's?

Ugh. The Grammy's.
(_|_)

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 09:56:08 am »

You only need 6, but that's pretty much spot on.  You basically need writing or technical credit on six songs to be a member and that can be: vocalists, conductors, songwriters, composers, engineers, producers, instrumentalists, arrangers, art directors, album notes writers, narrators, and music video artists and technicians.

and thats the criteria for getting to vote for the grammy's?  so does this mean there are millions of votes cast? or is this 6 credits in that previous year? more specifics, man!

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:33:02 pm »
  and thats the criteria for getting to vote for the grammy's?  so does this mean there are millions of votes cast? or is this 6 credits in that previous year? more specifics, man!

Google "National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences" and you'll figure it all out for yourself, and be all the better for it.  Imagine your sense of accomplishment!
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:03:09 pm »
damnit i am too busy for that bizzness.

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »
damnit i am too busy for that bizzness.

And I sir, am not your monkey.  But there's only like 20,000 members of the group and not all are voting members.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »
    i'll read more on it someday.  It seems like 20,000 is a small number. for all of the people involved creatively and technically in writing albums. 

Of course there is probably no way to get a list of who Does vote and how many votes are actually tallied.   

Just thinking, I find it hard to believe that Lil Wayne is actually the entire musical community's concensus as pretty much the best out there. 

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 05:20:50 pm »
i like the fact that ben's chili bowl is expanding, and will be serving salads.

oh yeah, and he got the noms., because the grammy are desperate for anybody to watch.

like when the acadamy awards nominated three shit mafia.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:30:56 pm by walkonby »