Author Topic: Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)  (Read 45392 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 12:56:43 pm »
It's official - announced this morning.
http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/02/10/647940.aspx
I still don't see how it gets past the FTC and antitrust laws...hopefully it won't

Easy. The Fascist bosses watch out for their Fascist buddies. Rules and laws are only for the rest of us.   >:(

walkonby

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »

"Barack, dude, are you going to fuck us artists over by letting this merge happen??"

"Ludacris . . . dude, has anybody ever told you your t shirt is stupid?  and guys who wear earrings in both ears are gay."

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 05:02:48 pm »
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 05:07:18 pm »
welcome to the new world of who "controls" the artist.

Mobius

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 05:59:01 pm »
Michael Rapino, CEO of Live Nation, said, "This combination will drive measurable benefits to consumers and accelerate the execution of our strategy to build a better artist-to-fan direct distribution platform."

What are the benefits to consumers.  I'm curious.  How do soulless companies that rely on monopoly power benefit consumers?

walkonby

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:28 am »
Michael Rapino, CEO of Live Nation, said, "This combination will drive measurable benefits to consumers and accelerate the execution of our strategy to build a better artist-to-fan direct distribution platform."

What are the benefits to consumers.  I'm curious.  How do soulless companies that rely on monopoly power benefit consumers?

they give us something to bitch about here, keeping this site alive.  see how it works?

hutch

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »
Both stocks are down 17% or so today!

I'm not sure this is what they had in mind....

walkonby

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »
Both stocks are down 17% or so today!

I'm not sure this is what they had in mind....

someone should send in jay z and his crew.  that will settle this mess.  ticketmaster and livenation would be walking dead ticket companies.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 03:45:33 pm »
someone should send in jay z and his crew.  that will settle this mess.  ticketmaster and livenation would be walking dead ticket companies.

why?  i don't get it... please explain. 
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 03:53:37 pm »
"One possibility, short of derailing the merger: The government could require that the combined company spin off Live Nation's fledgling ticketing division, which it developed in anticipation of its contract with Ticketmaster expiring at the end of 2008. With another big ticketing company out there signing up venues, attracting fans and working with promoters, Washington could be satisfied that the live-music market is competitive enough." (from Live Nation, Ticketmaster Merger Risks Antitrust Scrutiny)

ya want conspiracy theories?  how about this: about a year ago, TM and LN start talking about merging.  in order to make it seem "necessary", LN says it will set up it's own rinky-dink ticketing system and pretend to go it alone.  as the phish fiasco proved, it's crap; and as a link story on the previous page of this thread pointed out, is an ostensible reason for them to get back together.  condition for the merger?  they need to sell off the useless LN ticketing system to create "competition" - a competition that wouldn't be able to sell tickets with any speed.  BRILLIANT.

it's now official: Justice Department to Probe Live Nation/Ticketmaster Merger.  "Neither company is likely to be pleased that the Justice Department, and not the Federal Trade Commission, has chosen to look into this."  good.

and the new company already has a website: http://www.premierliveentertainment.com/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:55:11 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 04:11:02 pm »

why?  i don't get it... please explain. 

see last post in grammy thread.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 04:29:44 pm »
Don't forget that Livenation was created as some kind of spin off of Clear Crap because they were forced to break up in some way because of monopolizing the media and concert industry. All part of the Mays mobster crime family.

And Seth gets shit for speaking up about that Live shit in Silver Spring.  ::)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 11:15:58 am »
webcast of the hearing today at 2:30 PM EST

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=3674
(_|_)

Bartelby

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »
The Live Nation/Ticketmaster merger is just ONE more step in a long-term LN/Clear Channel strategy:  You might remember about three years ago, when LN/CC ?acquired? the Charlottesville, VA based companies, Red Light Management and MusicToday.  The latter provided merch/music distribution for small bands, Red Light, artist development and talent management. Thru similar acquisions, LN also presently provides tour management (booking, logistics, buses, drivers, roadies, road managers), owns and/or manages venues (already noted elsewhere on this thread); talent development and representation services, and now possibly ticketing for ALL TicketMaster venues ? even those not owned/operated or managed by Live Nation. So, in essence here?s the dealeo:  They will own EVERY freekin aspect of the music industry we love.  Only bands ?managed? by them will get gigs, tour support, merch distribution, ticketing services; only venues owned/operated or managed by them will get their bands.  It?s really sickening.  I know some of the lesser ?management? from their C?ville days.  They all have personalities similar to the LN chairman:  They are king-makers; it?s all about them, their vision/egos and their ?extraordinary? business acumen. This is NOT good for small club owners, music lovers or musicians

walkonby

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 04:01:41 pm »
maybe all of this is just a big f.u. to america for letting people steal music off the internet.  steal it one day, pay for it another way.