Author Topic: No one has posted this/discussed this yet today?  (Read 4054 times)

Re: No one has posted this/discussed this yet today?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:00:21 pm »
Amen to that.

When the Black Cat sells out, there's still plenty of elbow room if you stay in the back of the room. When 9:30 sells out, it's hard to find a decent sightline and almost impossible to avoid pushing and shoving. Really, they need to cut capacity

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:57 pm »
I agree 100%. I pretty much rule out any 9:30 show that is a lock to sell out. It's just too much work to deal with the club because it's so stuffed with people that it cuts the fun factor too far down. But Black Cat shows are never that hard to navigate. I remember during the recent Hives show, which was sold out, I was able to leave my spot up front, get a drink, hit the head and make it back in about 5 minutes. No chance of that at a 9:30 sold-out show.
oword

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:22:00 pm »
One reason I don't buy beer at  sold out 9:30 Club shows is that if I do I know i'll eventually have to pee, and I'll never make it back up front.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:04:35 pm »
My only real complaint about 9:30 is how crowded it gets.  I stand in the back anyway - so I'm not talking about getting crushed up front or worrying about getting back to my prime spot near the stage.  But for sold-out shows it can be ridiculously crowded all the way to the back wall.  I can see just fine (I'm tall) but I don't like being jammed-in there and getting pushed around all night.    I've stopped going to sellout shows, unless the band is high on my must-see list. 

Not true for The Black Cat though.  I know I'll have plenty of room there no matter how sold-out the show is.

Of course, if the show is selling out anyway, Seth doesn't really care what I do, since someone else will gladly take the ticket.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »
If you can't stand the sellout show, buy the DVD....
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »
Of course, if the show is selling out anyway, Seth doesn't really care what I do, since someone else will gladly take the ticket.

but the chance of that person being as big a lush as you is very, very low - so there is lost income on his part.  
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:17:57 pm »
  I think its all about the people at the show.  I spent too many years at overcrowded clubs and never had a problem , of course, at clubs there is never one focal point such as a stage.

Some shows I find people dont mind if you are cutting through them to get to/from the bar/restroom, others its like i get the evil stare from everyone....even if its in between acts! Like i'm some kid cutting through their backyard on my bike. you bought a ticket into the club, not an assigned designated spot in it.

that said, i dont really care much for sold out shows, esp at 930 cause being from Bmore i usually show up late and always end up wicked far back where my short-ish wife cannot see a thing.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »

but the chance of that person being as big a lush as you is very, very low - so there is lost income on his part.  

True that.  :)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:10 pm »
Sneaking up to the front is definetly easier at the Cat but it's not soo tough at 930. I usually go to the left side and go down that side of the bar and make it to the left of the stage. The right side is damn near impossible. Sometimes people are nice and let you by and other times they scoff. Whatever, if you wanna get up front you will either by getting there early or pushing your way through.

Now as for the question at hand I'll probably vote for 930, I looooove the black cat but if you get stuck in the back there's no way of getting up front. I've been stuck in the back at 2 shows there and it sucked. It is tough though, being up front at the Black Cat is 1000% better than being up front at 930.

Plus it depends on the band. Being up front for Wolfmother and Eagles of Death Metal @ the Cat > being up front for Wolfmother and Eagles at 930. I feel like shows rock more at the Cat.

Damn I might have to switch my vote.
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »
No spot to vote for the Rock and Roll Hotel? Both venuse definitely have their merits - 930 club has a great soundsystem and attracts good (and bad) mid to big bands.  Black Cat is more intimate, less crowded, and attracts upcoming about to break bands, but their sound is off more than half the time.  Hard to pick.  I would personally vote the Black Cat.  Cheaper tickets and usually better bands.  I would much rather listen to Cloud Cult or Blitzen Trapper than Katy Perry, Lilly Allen, or Tom Jones, though i do dig the Animal Collective/Fujiya & Miyagi/Mates of State shows the 930 club gets every couple of weeks or so.  The staff at both places are good, so that isnt a factor. 

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »
So you're the asshole we should be punching in the head.

Sneaking up to the front is definetly easier at the Cat but it's not soo tough at 930. I usually go to the left side and go down that side of the bar and make it to the left of the stage. The right side is damn near impossible. Sometimes people are nice and let you by and other times they scoff. Whatever, if you wanna get up front you will either by getting there early or pushing your way through.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:29:47 pm by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 04:08:06 pm »
You can't see the stage there if it's a sold out show and you're in the back....

No spot to vote for the Rock and Roll Hotel?   
(_|_)

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:48:36 pm »
True, but I usually can get up towards the front enough to see.  I just love the small size of the place.  It, Ottobar, and BC backstage are my favorite venues based on size.  I would guess DC9 would also fall into this section, but I have yet to go there.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 05:08:08 pm »
You all sound like a bunch of old hens talking. 5 years ago you wouldn't have cared how sold out the show at the 930 Club were. You went, you still enjoyed it and you didn't complain. :P
3MTA3