Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 10335 times)

Relaxer

Re: Watchmen
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »
I'm not big on superhero movies, but a combination of factors (movie buddy has a serious chubby for Watchmen, it's rated R, have good weed, got permission from the wife) has conspired to have me there tomorrow night.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:59 pm »
got tickets to see it tomorrow night, in IMAX :D
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 05:34:26 pm »
Are you seeing it out at the Smithsonian out in like bumfuck Centreville? I saw Dark Night there, couldn't believe they don't sell anything to eat or drink. I had to spit into a wadded up newspaper for 2 1/2 hours.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 08:03:24 pm »
nope, i'm seeing it in the newly installed imax at the AMC-24 in scenic hamilton, NJ.

weeeeee.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 03:14:07 pm »
It was almost page for page for 2 hours then he goes on a tear for the last 45 minutes or so. Those last bits of the movie were so fucking bad. I hated the ending, I thought he could have cut down a few things through the movie, extend Ozymandias' speech at the end and his effing hideaway. Anyone else want to see the oasis? Ugh. So lame.
‼‼?‼‼

nkotb

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 12:00:54 am »
I thought it was fucking killer.  Not sure why the general public at large would enjoy it (way too downer and heavy for someone looking for a comic book movie), but they kept it super faithful to the source material.  In fact, the edits made it a little more palatable as a movie, and the reworked ending still kept the original intent, which I was sure would get Hollywood-ized.

BTW, Samantha, you were right...Ozymandias did look like a pussy.  Everyone else was cast right on, but that guy didn't quite fit the bill.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:11:19 am by nkotb »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 01:00:11 am »
what nkotb said. 

been a while since i read the watchmen graphic novel (i haven't touched it since it came out) so i don't remember it being quite so negative on human nature, but it was a damn fine adaptation of what i do remember.  definitely not made for mainstream acclaim.  gotta admire them for going with the original vision.  i really liked the movie - not an all-time best, but a damn solid way to spend 2+hours on a saturday night.  RAWKED in imax.

lots of blue glow-in-the-dark dong.
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 11:09:58 am »
I loved it, BUT, the ending irked me. No Tandoori Chicken? :)
Woof.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:01 pm »
loved it... it was like watching the book in motion
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:37 am »
Loved the Graphic Novel.  I thought the movie was awful.  It was filmed beautifully, and they did a great job with costumes, but the acting was horrific, and the movie was boring.  Unfortunetly, I think I fall into the "never should've been made into a film" category of fans.  Didn't feel that way before I saw the film, but I feel that way now.

Darth Ed

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 12:32:50 pm »
The graphic novel is the best ever. I was really loving the movie up until the altered ending. It made sense to have the event take place in multiple cities around the world. I had no problem with that, but the nature of the event and how that resolves the situation just didn't work for me. Still liked it a lot though. Jackie Earle Haley was fantastic.

MattWithABeard

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 11:34:29 am »
I had never heard of Watchmen until I saw the trailer at TDK, and immediately went out to buy the book.  It just looked so awesome, I jumped in with it as my first "graphic novel".  I'm glad I read it though, as the movie was supremely mediocre.  Interesting that the worst thing people have to say about it is usually that it stuck too closely to the story (excluding the ending obviously), which usually isn't a bad thing.

Rorschach, The Comedian, and Silk Spectre were so incredible looking and seeing them come to life was one of the most fun times I've had at the movies in a while, so much so, it almost made Dr. Manhattan and Veidt tolerable.  The most outrageous and egregious mistake though was the soundtrack.  If they just kept the movie to a score it would have kept me interested, but everytime I heard Hendrix or Leonard Cohen or any of the many modern classic rock songs, it completely took me out of the story (the one exception being "Times They Are A' Changin'" for the titles.  That at least seemed appropriate.) 

Oh.  And what a ridiculous Nixon.

Darth Ed

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:38 pm »
Have to agree about the soundtrack.

K8teebug

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 08:23:48 am »
agreed.  Why aren't more people offended by the ridiculous casting and the horrible acting?  I feel like I'm alone in that...

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 09:16:12 am »
the laurie casting was offensive - she is truly a terrible actress - but then again, what else should i expect for a woman best known for flashing her boobs in harold & kumar go to white castle.

but what she lacked, the comedian, rorschach and the doc made up for. billy crudup was totally on point, little blue assistant and all.

also i squealed like a little girl when bubastis got some screen time - because it was totally a plot point they could have left out and i'm sure people were like "wtf is this cat doing?" of they've never read the graphic novel.

the musical cues were atrocious and like one review asked (i think the one in the times) - can we please place a moratorium on the use of hallelujah in moves. the ONLY subtle musical cue in the entire film was the muzak version of "everybody wants to rule the world" during the ozymandius scene when he's touring the energy execs in the building and the "delivery guy" shows up.

in the end - i'm actually excited for the 3.5+ hour director cut on dvd and the black freighter story.
</fangirl rant>
nothx