Author Topic: Wedding DJs?  (Read 6431 times)

i got id

Wedding DJs?
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:44:07 am »
Can anyone suggest some decent DJs for a wedding in DC? I want to avoid the cheesy Davis DJs and avoid the typical emcee thing....

It seems like everything I've searched for comes up with the large groups and it seems like you're never sure what you'll get with them....

K8teebug

Re: Wedding DJs?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:11:41 am »
We used a guy who works for DJ Donna and he was awesome.  Didn't play any cheesy crap and was really nice (not emcee like at all).  Of course, this was 5 years ago, but I would recommend them.  They were pretty reasonable priced too. 

http://www.entertainment-exchange.com/disc_jockeys/dj_donna.htm

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:52:20 am »
The Director only works for Bride's Maids.  Send pictures.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:05:24 pm »
rent audio equipment and speakers (unless venue already provides them), then hook up your ipod to the equipment. . .find a friend that you can trust and doesn't mind being a dj for the night. . .
OU812

bellenseb

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:09 pm »
I think the dude who owns Som Records on 14th St. does weddings.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 03:06:13 pm »
rent audio equipment and speakers (unless venue already provides them), then hook up your ipod to the equipment. . .find a friend that you can trust and doesn't mind being a dj for the night. . .

Close.  Don't use an iPod because of the silent delay between songs.  We used a laptop so we could cross fade.  And I got to sleep with a bride's maid as payment.

In addition, if you set up a play list in advance, there's really not a lot of work to be done.  Just move a few songs around as you're gauging the mood.

Lastly, set up a 5-6 song chick friendly set so the guys can go outside and smoke a stogey and do shots.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 03:51:46 pm »

Close.  Don't use an iPod because of the silent delay between songs.  We used a laptop so we could cross fade.  And I got to sleep with a bride's maid as payment.

In addition, if you set up a play list in advance, there's really not a lot of work to be done.  Just move a few songs around as you're gauging the mood.

Lastly, set up a 5-6 song chick friendly set so the guys can go outside and smoke a stogey and do shots.

just watch out for the fools who wear their dates' sunglasses and stagger around trying to rap songs into a hairbrush.
OU812

Christine Moritz

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:57 pm »
I don't know whether this is in fact the case, but his name is Neal Becton and he DJs as DJ Neville Chamberlain or DJ Neville C.

i got id

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:27:21 pm »
I don't know whether this is in fact the case, but his name is Neal Becton and he DJs as DJ Neville Chamberlain or DJ Neville C.

He is and although he's booked, he's suggested a few other DJs for me...The Post did a story on 3 non-traditional wedding DJs (including him) and so I think their amount have business has gone up a lot.

He also suggested DJ Fatback and D-Mac, so we'll see if either of those work...

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Christine Moritz

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:48 pm »
Did he mean the Fatback crew of DJs?  http://fatbackdc.com/?page_id=51

I wasn't aware of a DJ Fatback, but maybe there is one and I just didn't know...

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »
We hired Evan with MyDeejay.  He was easy to work with, very professional, and played nothing cheesy. 

www.mydeejay.com

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »

He is and although he's booked

that's because he's doing my wedding  :P
(o|o)

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 08:25:25 am »
Yikes...two boardie weekends on the same weekend???  Guys, don't' make me choose between you...

He is and although he's booked

that's because he's doing my wedding  :P

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:56 am »
Yikes...two boardie weekends on the same weekend???  Guys, don't' make me choose between you...

actually, depending on the weekend there could be 3 boardee weddings... june 20th, anyone?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:53:41 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:36 pm »
Don't get married.
27>34