Author Topic: Republican teabaggers  (Read 32988 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Republican teabaggers
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 06:36:18 pm »
related (IMO) story:

Why Republicans are devouring one book

"I think it?s conclusive when you read the book, although I don?t believe she said so, that the New Deal was actually a bad deal, and today we have a president who believes that the New Deal was a good deal, and would have been a far better deal if FDR would have spent a lot more money,? Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said.

So the Republicans are fixated on one new book that validates their views, and ignoring all the many books and studies conducted over decades that don't?  Why is that not surprising? :D
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
related (IMO) story:

"I think it?s conclusive when you read the book, although I don?t believe she said so, that the New Deal was actually a bad deal, and today we have a president who believes that the New Deal was a good deal, and would have been a far better deal if FDR would have spent a lot more money,? Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said.

it's a good book, you should read it. . .i read it last year; it sort ends abruptly after raising willkie as a worthy opponent, then dumping on him as the election grows near.  isn't it the least bit puzzling that the great depression lasted so long?  if fdr's policies were so good for the economy, why did the depression end only after the u.s. entered world war 2?  that certainly is what this paper from ucla asks....

i certainly don't see the value that keynes did in hiring one group of people to dig a hole, then hiring another group of people to fill it. . .does it decrease unemployment and increase government spending?  sure, but it is neither efficient nor productive.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
I already debunked both the paper and the book citing a Nobel Laureate along the way.  Ridiculous how quickly we forget and rehash old arguments.
27>34

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2009, 04:47:43 pm »
I thought I knew what teabagging meant: to dip a man's testicles in and out of your mouth. But during a recent conversation about the Republican teabagging craze, my boyfriend told me that teabagging meant to put your balls into someone else's mouth. A person without balls, he insists, can't do the teabagging. But many people I know think they are the teabagger and their partner is the one being teabagged. An internet search turns up both definitions. So, Dan, I'm asking you?as an expert on all things both political and sexual?do any of us hetero females have a chance of teabagging President Obama? Don't get me wrong: I want to teabag the president for all the right reasons. I'm a supporter. I just want in on any political activity that involves Obama's balls in my mouth.

?The Earnest Aspirant

Let's say you were in the West Wing with Barack Obama's sack resting comfortably in your mouth. Perhaps you had done something meritorious?defeated the Somalian pirates, sworn in Senator Al Franken?and you were being awarded the Presidential Wattle of Freedom. The New York Times might report, "The president of the United States and a Savage Love reader were spotted 'teabagging' in the Oval Office today."

But while you can teabag with the president, TEA, you don't have what it takes to administer a teabagging to the president. To teabag someone, you need a scrotum with which to teabag them: The teabagger dips sack; a teabaggee receives dipped sack. It's a little confusing, I realize, in that it's the opposite of a blowjob: The person with a dick in his or her mouth is giving the blowjob; the person being sucked is receiving the blowjob. But language is funny that way.

• my blog
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2009, 07:52:21 pm »
related (IMO) story:

i certainly don't see the value that keynes did in hiring one group of people to dig a hole, then hiring another group of people to fill it. . .does it decrease unemployment and increase government spending?  sure, but it is neither efficient nor productive.

I haven't read Keynes for many years, but I'm pretty certain that he would not advocate hiring people to dig useless holes as the best solution.   I think he'd argue that much better would be to support activities with a multiplier effect -- such as government infrastructure projects, which not only put people to work, but accrue lasting benefits to the economy as well.   That's what FDR's Works Project Administration was all about -- nearly 80 years later, we still reap economic benefits from the  structures built under that program.

This is what mom's-basement-dwelling Ayn Rand fans completely ignore...  the huge value that government-built infrastructure such as highways, railways, the internet, and urban transit provide our economy.  There is no way that competing private firms could accomplish something like the interstate highway system.

I think Obama did a bad job of managing the stimulus bill-writing process, but overall, the stimulus bill is more about accomplishing needed projects, rather than digging holes then filling them.  It's pretty telling that when Bobby "Page from 30 Rock" Jindal, John McCain and the other Republicans tried to single out flaws in the stimulus, they could only find a few tens of millions of dollars worth of projects to mock in a bill of close to $1 billion.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:58:11 pm by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 03:00:52 am »
related (IMO) story:

I haven't read Keynes for many years, but I'm pretty certain that he would not advocate hiring people to dig useless holes as the best solution.   I think he'd argue that much better would be to support activities with a multiplier effect -- such as government infrastructure projects, which not only put people to work, but accrue lasting benefits to the economy as well.   That's what FDR's Works Project Administration was all about -- nearly 80 years later, we still reap economic benefits from the  structures built under that program.

This is what mom's-basement-dwelling Ayn Rand fans completely ignore...  the huge value that government-built infrastructure such as highways, railways, the internet, and urban transit provide our economy.  There is no way that competing private firms could accomplish something like the interstate highway system.

I think Obama did a bad job of managing the stimulus bill-writing process, but overall, the stimulus bill is more about accomplishing needed projects, rather than digging holes then filling them.  It's pretty telling that when Bobby "Page from 30 Rock" Jindal, John McCain and the other Republicans tried to single out flaws in the stimulus, they could only find a few tens of millions of dollars worth of projects to mock in a bill of close to $1 billion.   

"Keynes backed up his theory by adding government expenditures to the overall national output. This was controversial from the start because the government doesn't actually save or invest as business and private business do, but raises money through mandatory taxes or debt issues (that are paid back by tax revenues). Still, by adding government to the equation, Keynes showed that government spending - even digging holes and filling them in - would stimulate the economy when businesses and individual were tightening budgets. His ideas heavily influenced the New Deal and the welfare state that grew up in the postwar era."  cite

similarly, "If the Treasury were to fill old bottles with banknotes, bury them at suitable depths in disused coalmines which are then filled up to the surface with town rubbish, and leave it to private enterprise on well-tried principles of laissez-faire to dig the notes up again (the right to do so being obtained, of course, by tendering for leases of the note-bearing territory), there need be no more unemployment and, with the help of the repercussions, the real income of the community, and its capital wealth also, would probably become a good deal greater than it actually is. It would, indeed, be more sensible to build houses and the like; but if there are political and practical difficulties in the way of this, the above would be better than nothing."

the problem is that government spending is almost, by definition, inefficient and wasteful (i.e., by subsidizing programs takes money that would have otherwise been spent, or saved, the government overspends and encourages wasteful spending). . .that's almost what keynes hopes for.....and what keynes ignores is the far more valuable effects of non-governmental spending, which is far more efficient and results in far greater productivity.  the money collected by the government to pay off this increased spending, via higher taxes, results in less productivity and less collective private wealth....and less private investment.  government becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy. . .
OU812

• my blog
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 06:56:53 pm »
This is brilliant.   By throwing a sandwich at a DC deli worker for trying to charge a 5 cent bag tax, this teabagger summed up the Tea Party better than a thousand words could:

http://dcist.com/2010/08/dont_tread_on_my_change_purse.php

_\|/_

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010, 10:51:12 am »
Palin said she spoke "not as a politician...but as the mother of a soldier."

This woman absolutely has no shame.

walkonby

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:50 pm »

• my blog
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »

I wonder if her kids secretly hate her?  She's publicly used Bristol, her soldier son, and even her downs syndrome baby for personal/political gain.

_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »

I wonder if her kids secretly hate her?  She's publicly used Bristol, her soldier son, and even her downs syndrome baby for personal/political gain.

with the amount of fame, money, talk time, free stuff, travels, the hero welcome her son will receive . . . you actually think the palins are hatin' life, g?  they up off the shizzle.

lagas

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:53 pm »
I don't know where to post this, so I guess I'll post it here, pretty interesting stuff...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100831/sc_yblog_upshot/noted-anti-global-warming-scientist-reverses-course
zorra

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2010, 11:54:20 am »

Not really. They're loaded and kind of like people being trained to instantly play the race card in any situation, when you've been used as a political pawn your entire lives, you're used to it.

Joke Insurance

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2010, 08:00:12 pm »