Author Topic: Phoenix upset!  (Read 33502 times)

serpent boy

Re: Phoenix upset!
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
Leaving now for the show. Can't wait! :)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2009, 12:30:29 am »
Fab show by the Phoenix lads tonight, was grinning ear to ear for the one to two punch of Napoleon Says with fuzzed out bass and Funky Squaredance and the scorching guitar solo.

To bad the venue and opening band were so lousy....
T.Rex

serpent boy

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2009, 12:42:07 am »
Awesome show! It was hot as hell in there, so my fiancee wanted to leave during "If I Ever Feel Better," but I still had a great time.

I loved hearing "Rally," "Sometimes in the Fall," and "Funky Squaredance."

bearman🐻

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:04 am »
Redsock, thanks SO much for the extra ticket! I managed to get my other friend in too...amazing. I felt really lucky to see this show. The energy at the end was insane, it truly reminded me of being at the old 9:30 Club to be that close. The PA isn't horrible, but I was WAY up front so I truly didn't notice if it sounded bad. I heard it was insanely hot towards the back and it got that way up front for a while too. That being said, we got some water handed out to us and someone must have opened up a back door because the heat managed to simmer down during the last 4th of the show or so.

Setlist:

Lisztomania
Long Distance Call
Consolation Prizes
Lasso
Napoleon Says
Funky Square Dance
Rally
Girlfriend
Armistice
Love Like a Sunset
Run Run Run
Too Young
Sometimes in the Fall
Rome
----------------------------
If I Ever Feel Better

Chulahoma

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2009, 01:46:51 am »
amazing show! it looked like the band was enjoying the crowd throughout the entire set.  i hope they don't wait a few years before coming back to the area.

bearman🐻

« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2009, 07:26:07 am »
Supposedly they'll be back in September...listening to them now. Sigh. Luv them.

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2009, 07:36:25 am »
Given the reports on the venue and my hunch that they'll be back at the more comfortable 9:30 Club in September, I'm glad I unloaded my tickets. Looks like they play a fairly short setlist?

bearman🐻

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:23 am »
It was about 70 or 75 minutes. For a face value $18 ticket (plus service charges of course), I think it's quite respectable. They played a really solid setlist too...not too many songs you'd be left to want hearing. Although I'm sure it was miserable in back, for those of us lucky enough to be against the stage it was one of those nights you'll never, ever forget. After having had a few hours of sleep and waking up feeling like I slept 12 hours, it never ceases to amaze me how much energy I get from a fantastic concert. Well worth the time and suffering through those 15 minutes or so where it was probably 90 degrees...I had a total blast.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2009, 09:11:54 am »
Phoenix's drummer is quite the busy boy these days.  Besides being the driving force behind why Phoenix is able to rough off the edges of their polished studio sound live, he's in two other Swedish bands...

Indie Rockers The Perishers who are on Nettwork Records
http://www.perishersmusic.com/

and

the Sludge Doom outfit Cult of Luna
http://www.cultofluna.com/
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2009, 09:16:13 am »
Update:  Make that a very busy drummer according to his myspace page he plays in

The Perishers, Deportees, Phoenix, Cult of Luna, KHOMA, Band of Gold and Adam Tensta.

http://www.myspace.com/thomashedlund80
T.Rex

godsshoeshine

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:23 am »
band sounded great and the crowd had a lot of energy. the sub 5' girl beside me had a bit too much energy in fact and pummeled the hell out of me while "dancing"

terrible venue though. and not just because of the neighborhood (some 10 year old threw a rock at my car) but the heat, the packed house and horrid sight lines made what should have been an awesome time unbearable. we left before the encore, which i dont know that i've ever done before. i'm never going back there again
o/\o

edbert

« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2009, 09:38:03 am »
>>>Phoenix's drummer ...

Killer drummer, but I guess he's not officially in the band.  I noticed when they were on SNL the tinted band photos in the bumpers excluded him. 
I wish someone would make a concert DVD of this band while they're hot.  Maybe Michel Gondry?  He's also from Versailles.

Chulahoma

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:40 am »
hopefully someone can do a poster for their next show.

heather

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2009, 10:55:46 am »
this was such a FUN show... made even better by the crowd.  after trying to hang up front (about 10 feet in front of the bar on the left side), we couldn't take the heat.  moving back by the sound board was the best decision i've made in awhile :)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:37 am »
extended '1901' was the perfect set closer...and the pogoing in the end was soooooo fun :)

(_|_)