Author Topic: Phoenix upset!  (Read 33514 times)

Samantha

Phoenix upset!
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:16:52 pm »
Ummm, rather than clog up the Just Announced thread...

There's got to be others that are a bit upset over Phoenix playing the Rock & Roll Hotel?  I had to rush here and whine because I figured there must be others like me here.  I've been waiting for this show for years...R&R, seriously??

And THIS is a "full US tour?"

June 12 : Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN, USA
June 13 : Park West, Chicago, IL, USA
June 15 : Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto, ON, Canada
June 16 : Les Saints, Montreal, Canada
June 17 : Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA, USA
June 19 : Terminal 5, NYC, USA
June 21 : Rock & Roll Hotel, Washington DC, USA
June 23 : Varsity, Minneapolis, MN, USA
June 25 : Bluebird, Denver, CO, USA
June 27 : Regency Center - Grand Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, USA
June 28 : The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sage 703

Re: Phoenix upset!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »
Ummm, rather than clog up the Just Announced thread...

There's got to be others that are a bit upset over Phoenix playing the Rock & Roll Hotel?  I had to rush here and whine because I figured there must be others like me here.  I've been waiting for this show for years...R&R, seriously??

And THIS is a "full US tour?"

June 12 : Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN, USA
June 13 : Park West, Chicago, IL, USA
June 15 : Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto, ON, Canada
June 16 : Les Saints, Montreal, Canada
June 17 : Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA, USA
June 19 : Terminal 5, NYC, USA
June 21 : Rock & Roll Hotel, Washington DC, USA
June 23 : Varsity, Minneapolis, MN, USA
June 25 : Bluebird, Denver, CO, USA
June 27 : Regency Center - Grand Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, USA
June 28 : The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Not to be snarky, but let me get this straight - you're upset that you get to see a band that you've been waiting for years to see at a venue 1/3 as big as the club, and dramatically smaller than a lot of the others on the tour?

That's kind of a switch.  Assuming you're able to get a ticket, I would think the smaller venue was a perk for their big fans.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »
I suspect that they'll be back later in the year, and at a bigger venue.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »
Vote with your money and don't buy a ticket.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:22:49 pm »
Assuming you're able to get a ticket
pretty big assumption
o/\o

Sage 703

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:26:22 pm »
Assuming you're able to get a ticket
pretty big assumption

Why?  A lot of people won't go to Rock and Roll Hotel because of the location, and if you're on the ball buying tickets there, you should be fine.  I can't imagine its going to sell out instantly.  In 20 minutes?  Yeah, probably, but I'd be shocked if they were all gone in five.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:33:09 pm »
everything at the club sells out so fast, and the venue is 1/3 the size. the band hasnt toured the u.s. for awhile, i bet this will sell out fast
o/\o

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 05:33:33 pm »
Not to be snarky, but let me get this straight - you're upset that you get to see a band that you've been waiting for years to see at a venue 1/3 as big as the club, and dramatically smaller than a lot of the others on the tour?

That's kind of a switch.  Assuming you're able to get a ticket, I would think the smaller venue was a perk for their big fans.

Normally that would be awesome.  But first off, I hate R&R.  Second, I hate R&R even more when it's really crowded.  Third, this is a fun dancing show, it's the kind that I'd RATHER it be at a bigger place.  I just want to enjoy myself and I worry the R&R is going to limit that.  9:30 or even the Black Cat would guarantee a more enjoyable show for me overall.  And fourth, of course, I worry about getting a ticket, and now I don't have time to convince people to go with me, either...I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff at the best of times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for a show at all...I'm just disappointed that it's not going to be quite the blow out I was expecting.  And I'm just shocked that they would play R&R of all places.

This is what I'm assuming/hoping.  It's really a pathetic excuse for a tour...of course that makes me feel super lucky that they're actually coming HERE.

Sage 703

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »
I'm just shocked that they would play R&R of all places.

This is what I'm assuming/hoping.  It's really a pathetic excuse for a tour...of course that makes me feel super lucky that they're actually coming HERE.

This formula worked pretty well for Vampire Weekend.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »
Totally agree with you Samantha.  Not sure why it's at RnR unless it's a LiveNation show.  Sure, Camera Obscura are at 9:30 on the 21st, but what kept them from playing 9:30 on the 20th?  They don't have a show that day.  The LA and NYC shows are also at LiveNation venues...and if Phoenix has a deal with LN, then that makes me even sadder.

It's not about the size of the venue, but the quality of it.  RnR's stage is low and small, and sold out shows there suck.  Getting tickets will be tough.  Getting a decent spot to watch and hear the show will be tough, too.  It's as stupid as booking Vampire Weekend at RnR...AFTER VW played SNL.  stupid.
PANTS

Sage 703

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:49:59 pm »
Totally agree with you Samantha.  Not sure why it's at RnR unless it's a LiveNation show.  Sure, Camera Obscura are at 9:30 on the 21st, but what kept them from playing 9:30 on the 20th?  They don't have a show that day.  The LA and NYC shows are also at LiveNation venues...and if Phoenix has a deal with LN, then that makes me even sadder.

It's not about the size of the venue, but the quality of it.  RnR's stage is low and small, and sold out shows there suck.  Getting tickets will be tough.  Getting a decent spot to watch and hear the show will be tough, too.  It's as stupid as booking Vampire Weekend at RnR...AFTER VW played SNL.  stupid.

For one, R&R Hotel is not a Live Nation venue.

For two, playing the small room is likely deliberate.  It builds buzz about the band and the show being a hot ticket.  People talk about it more.  Maybe they could sell out 9:30 Club this time around - but if they sell out R&R Hotel now and its a hot show and a hugely demanded ticket, they've got a much better shot of coming back in six months and doing one, if not two, sold out nights at the club.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:51:57 pm by callat703 »

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:58:09 pm »
It's as stupid as booking Vampire Weekend at RnR...AFTER VW played SNL.  stupid.

Someone's not watching their SNL.....Phoenix were on SNL two weeks ago.

I agree with calllat on this one that it's a deliberate pattern.
27>34

bkrome

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 06:10:56 pm »
I saw Asobi Seksu a couple weeks ago at R&R and it was louder than any concert I have ever been to.  Is it always like that?

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:35 pm »
Asobi are pretty loud, and yeah so is that venue.  I always wear hearing protection and its fine.

And i cant believe people would be upset about one of their favorite bands playing a smaller venue... No matter which one.  At least for me, I would always rather see a band in the smallest possible setting.  Of course that isnt always possible, but it is great when it is. 

MonkeyPants

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 06:38:00 pm »
It's as stupid as booking Vampire Weekend at RnR...AFTER VW played SNL.  stupid.

Someone's not watching their SNL.....Phoenix were on SNL two weeks ago.

I agree with calllat on this one that it's a deliberate pattern.

Um, VW played RnR BEFORE they played SNL.  Booking them at RnR AFTER an SNL appearance (as is the case here) would have been stupid, just as this is stupid.  That's what I was saying.

I doubt playing the small room here is deliberate.  They were smaller when they played 9:30 before.  The other venues they're playing are bigger.  Why on earth would DC be the "lucky" town to get them at a small venue?  If it were deliberate, why wouldn't they play the comparably-sized Troubadour in LA instead of the Wiltern?  Maybe they're deliberately avoiding IMP...

I swore that the RnR had a deal with LN...is it only for some shows?
PANTS