Author Topic: holy shit kraftwerk!  (Read 37860 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: holy shit kraftwerk!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 04:18:00 pm »
Back in the seventies, Kraftwerk were good. But in 2005!!!!  :eek:  Come one, they had a very limited shelf life!! Especially after Mike Myers on Saturday night live and his "sprocket" (or whatever it was) skit. How could you ever take them serious again after that?

lionforce5

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  Back in the seventies, Kraftwerk were good. But in 2005!!!!   :eek:   Come one, they had a very limited shelf life!! Especially after Mike Myers on Saturday night live and his "sprocket" (or whatever it was) skit. How could you ever take them serious again after that?
The same could easily be said about:

David Bowie
 The Rolling Stones
 Elton John
 The Sex Pistols
 Bauhaus
 The Sisters of Mercy

and yet all of these bands still seem/seemed to bring in major crowds.

bearman🐻

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
I cannot believe it...I understand the desire to see a band at its prime, but Kraftwerk are true pioneers. How could anyone lump them in with Sisters of Mercy and Elton John as a big draw? The fact of the matter is that when you go to an event like Coachella and see all these performers who are supposedly in their prime (if you go earlier in the day and see all the up-and-coming bands) but then you see Kraftwerk, then you KNOW who the real deal is. It's like seeing Iggy Pop in the sense that some people imitate, and some are TRUE originals. Iggy, the Ramones, Kraftwerk, Bowie, etc. to me are all examples. I think that anyone who thinks that age means that someone is incapable of getting on a stage and putting on a great show has a very narrow scope of music. Passion is passion, no matter what age. If you have the fire to back it up, I'll go see it. I think it just embarasses a lot of people to see rock'n'rollers getting old because this kind of music is for the young, who are supposed to be immortal. But that's bullshit. Age happens to everyone, whether you like it or not.

And for anyone who would overlook Kraftwerk because of age or some dumb SNL skit, then you're missing out. As the elder statesmen of electronic music, you just have to see it to believe how good they are. It's about music...I for one am ecstatic about the show. If anyone doesn't want to go, then good...a better chance that I'll get tickets. I guess I'm just always amazed to see ageism in rock'n'roll. I know that it's supposed to be about the young'uns, but I think that a lot of the new and "cool" bands could learn a lot by doing their homework. Kraftwerk for me would be in the first chapter for sure.

SPARX

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 05:29:00 pm »
If the show even comes close to the show they did last year in Toronto it will be incredible.They even brought out their own personal remote control robots,just for some added visual pleasure.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 06:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
   How could anyone lump them in with Sisters of Mercy and Elton John as a big draw?  
especially Sisters of Mercy....ew.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
OH NO! I just realized I'm going to be away for the 9:30 shows!   :(  Anybody know if they plan to play somewhere else close, like Electric Factory?

distance

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 12:08:00 am »
Originally posted by palahniukkubrick:
  OH NO! I just realized I'm going to be away for the 9:30 shows!    :(   Anybody know if they plan to play somewhere else close, like Electric Factory?
i think what's listed is it.
 their north american tour last year was:
 montreal, toronto, seattle, SF 2x, coachella.
 (last april)

lionforce5

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 12:19:00 am »
  I cannot believe it...I understand the desire to see a band at its prime, but Kraftwerk are true pioneers. How could anyone lump them in with Sisters of Mercy and Elton John as a big draw?
I was looking for comparison acts who were also somewhat "pioneer-ish" of their respective sounds/movements.  Elton was a bit of a stretch.

The fact of the matter is that when you go to an event like Coachella and see all these performers who are supposedly in their prime (if you go earlier in the day and see all the up-and-coming bands) but then you see Kraftwerk, then you KNOW who the real deal is. It's like seeing Iggy Pop in the sense that some people imitate, and some are TRUE originals. Iggy, the Ramones, Kraftwerk, Bowie, etc. to me are all examples. I think that anyone who thinks that age means that someone is incapable of getting on a stage and putting on a great show has a very narrow scope of music. Passion is passion, no matter what age. If you have the fire to back it up, I'll go see it. I think it just embarasses a lot of people to see rock'n'rollers getting old because this kind of music is for the young, who are supposed to be immortal. But that's bullshit. Age happens to everyone, whether you like it or not.
We're in agreement here.  I don't think there is any other music comparison, save perhaps travelling back in time to late 80's detroit, or to a 1977 Frankie Knuckles warehouse party.  Even that takes influence from Kraftwerk at some level though.

Kalsgo

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 12:42:00 am »
I went to Toronto to see them last year. No, they won't be going the jitterbug on the stage, but you wouldn't want it any other way.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 04:14:00 am »
Originally posted by j_lee:

Back in the seventies, Kraftwerk were good. But in 2005!!!!    :eek:    Come one, they had a very limited shelf life!! Especially after Mike Myers on Saturday night live and his "sprocket" (or whatever it was) skit. How could you ever take them serious again after that?
The same could easily be said about:

David Bowie
 The Rolling Stones
 Elton John
 The Sex Pistols
 Bauhaus
 The Sisters of Mercy

and yet all of these bands still seem/seemed to bring in major crowds. [/b]
David Bowie......aged gracefully and evolved as time went on. So I disagree on that one.

Rolling Stones.....couldn't agree more

Elton John......plays Las Vegas! Need I say more?

Sex Pistols.....should never have reunited.

Bauhaus....didn't even know they had reunited.

Sisters of Mercy....not exactly pioneers of anything really so don't get your point.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 07:08:00 am »
Think of it more as an auditory experience than your typical rock show .. like going to an orchestral concert. I'm not the biggest Kraftwerk fan in the world, but if it's reasonably priced (and yes, 50$ is too goddamn much) I'll consider going. I'd shell out about a good 500 for a Neu! reunion show, however.

lionforce5

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
 ]David Bowie......aged gracefully and evolved as time went on. So I disagree on that one.

Bauhaus....didn't even know they had reunited.

Sisters of Mercy....not exactly pioneers of anything really so don't get your point.
And kraftwerk haven't evolved at all?  Listening to something like "Computer World" and then the more recent "Tour de France," you'd think they were different bands.

Bauhaus is one of the Coachella headliners this year.  And even though they're not the founders of goth, I think Sisters of Mercy have done more to perpetuate the image among the young, decked in black, pasty mallwalker crowd.  But like I said...a bit of a stretch.

joz

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
has anyone heard senor coconut's "el baile aleman"? it's an album of kraftwerk covers done in a latino style. i'm a kraftwerk fan and i think it's actually pretty brilliant...you can't help but rumba to the "tour de france" cover. probably helps that senor coconut is really german dj atom heart.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
  has anyone heard senor coconut's "el baile aleman"? it's an album of kraftwerk covers done in a latino style. i'm a kraftwerk fan and i think it's actually pretty brilliant...you can't help but rumba to the "tour de france" cover. probably helps that senor coconut is really german dj atom heart.
I've got that; it's a blast.

Who remembers Love Tractor's cover of "Neon Lights"? WHFS used to play it, back before they became "HFS". And Big Black did "The Model" on  Songs About Fucking.
😐 🎶

distance

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
we have.  when we went down to miami we were joking about having senor coconut open for kraftwerk.