Author Topic: Shins roll-call  (Read 9570 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Shins roll-call
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 12:00:26 am »
Pretty awesome to hear Weird Divide. Sweet song, always wondered why they never played it live in the past. And god, Sleeping Lessons is epic. But it was all gravy after they played Gone for Good.

The new Shins get five-stars from me. How can you honestly not like the Shins?

BTW, thanks to whoever recommended Delta Spirit. I will definitely be checking them out again in the future. Great shit.

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 12:35:32 am »
Well that the was the tightest and most polished show I've seen the Shins perform. It's funny, they start of kind of slow, but then they settle into it and I would say that by "Sea Legs" they really hit their stride. The rest of the show was great. OK, the cover of The Beta Band's "Dry the Rain" absolutely blew me away, and I know this will sound weird but that was the best moment of the night, though "New Slang" was sublime and the version of "Those to Come" was pretty spectacular too. Always happy to hear "Saint Simon", and "Weird Divide" was a nice bonus. "One by One All Day" is terrific in concert, reminds me of when I saw them play it at the Hollywood Bowl w/Belle and Sebastian. Great song. The Delta Spirit know how to play, they're not really my cup of tea but they're a great opening band. Very cool show. The new Shins lineup is a definite improvement and I can see them doing great things on a new record.

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 12:35:47 am »
Yeah, Delta Spirit were great. Also my first time hearing them.
"Dry the Rain" cover was awesome.
احمد

yohansen5b

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 06:39:15 am »
delta spirit were pretty money.  this is the third time i've seen them and they sound better and better each time.  it seems like everyone in the band is some kind of percussionist and they're good at moving people around.  "people, turn around" sounded excellent.

i enjoyed the shins but they didn't grab me as much as i thought they would.  they sounded better than when i saw them at DAR two years ago.  they were really tight, very polished, and i loved hearing older songs (and covers!).  "sleeping lessons" was excellent.but they didn't have some of the energy i expected.  however, this might have been me:
1. i was on the rail in the balcony.  while it offers a great view, it's somewhat detaching from the rest of the club. i've thought this before and last night reinforced that.
2. i wore earplugs.  while i could still hear everything just fine, it's also somewhat detaching.  however, i value my hearing.
3. every time i looked at the band, i was completely distracted by how ridiculously tall the bassist is. 

anyway, i had a good time.  the new songs sound pretty good and i'm looking forward to a new cd. 

imbecile

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 08:22:19 am »
delta spirit were pretty money.  this is the third time i've seen them and they sound better and better each time.  it seems like everyone in the band is some kind of percussionist and they're good at moving people around.  "people, turn around" sounded excellent.

i enjoyed the shins but they didn't grab me as much as i thought they would.  they sounded better than when i saw them at DAR two years ago.  they were really tight, very polished, and i loved hearing older songs (and covers!).  "sleeping lessons" was excellent.but they didn't have some of the energy i expected.  however, this might have been me:
1. i was on the rail in the balcony.  while it offers a great view, it's somewhat detaching from the rest of the club. i've thought this before and last night reinforced that.
2. i wore earplugs.  while i could still hear everything just fine, it's also somewhat detaching.  however, i value my hearing.
3. every time i looked at the band, i was completely distracted by how ridiculously tall the bassist is. 

anyway, i had a good time.  the new songs sound pretty good and i'm looking forward to a new cd. 

I agree with the Shins being very tight and polished and rocking, but just not grabbing me.  Just didn't seem to have much passion.  I'm sure they were giving it their all, it was pretty obvious.. it just didn't project at all.  Hard to knock a show in which they didn't do a thing wrong, so I'm trying to avoid that, but something with the energy just wasn't there until sleeping lessons and then it was too late.

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 09:40:17 am »
Funny...I have come to expect little from the Shins in concert, which is why last night was such a surprise. I think they've got the right band members now to become the band that people expect to see. I'd go see them again. Granted, they're still not quite there yet, but I think that James Mercer knew their limitations in the old lineup, and he's trying to get there.

Sir HC

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 11:07:24 am »
Set list:

Onion
Australia
Pam/phantom
St simon
Red rabbits
Double bubble
Sea legs
Girl inform me
Weird divide
Gone for good
1x1
girl don't tell me
fool of a martyr
girl on a wing
hi horse
fool of a martyr
new slang
caring is creepy
---------------
dry/those to come/sleeping

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 12:40:09 pm »
Oh, and rack Dave breaking out the Joe Walsh. I have a boot of theirs where they break out Holy Diver. Pretty funny.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 12:51:24 pm »
That Richmond setlist was alot different, or at least completely differently ordered. Our encore was New Slang, Know Your Onion, Helpless [Neil Young].

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:11:04 pm »
hopefully they didn't butcher the Beta Band song ;)

I found a Shins t-shirt just outside the venue last night. If you can tell me the color and size of it, it's all yours.
(_|_)

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 01:21:54 pm »
That Richmond setlist was alot different, or at least completely differently ordered. Our encore was New Slang, Know Your Onion, Helpless [Neil Young].
I'm not a Shins fan, but Helpless is a terrific song.  How was that cover?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 01:35:33 pm »
I'm not a Shins fan, but Helpless is a terrific song.  How was that cover?
Actually probably the worst thing of the night. I like the song but their version wasn't particularly true to the original and his voice didn't fit at all.

Sir HC

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 02:03:46 pm »
hopefully they didn't butcher the Beta Band song ;)

I found a Shins t-shirt just outside the venue last night. If you can tell me the color and size of it, it's all yours.

Think they had cheat sheets for the chord changes.

eltee

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 03:48:00 pm »
i enjoyed the shins but they didn't grab me as much as i thought they would. 
it's also somewhat detaching.  however, i value my hearing.
I had some of the same thoughts. I don't know why but they didn't engage me at all. Could have been the off night I had outside the club (traffic, rain, random pedestrians being annoying and the club being hot, muggy and the crowd was a bit scattered and crowded at the same time. I tried to focus on the show, but the Shins never reeled me in. I don't think it was just the heat. 930 - a little a/c please? I smelled like sweat when I went home and it wasn't mine.
I've never seen them live, but from what I can tell, I like the new line up. Pretty talented and I think it sounded a bit more edgy. That's when I think they were at their best last night. I didn't know enough of those songs though..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:52:52 pm by Sugartastic Tee »

azaghal1981

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 04:43:39 pm »
It was unusually hot in there last night.
احمد