Author Topic: MBV - roll call for Richmond show, Thurs. 7/30  (Read 57167 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: MBV - roll call for Richmond show, Thurs. 7/30
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 03:53:44 pm »
The only decent place for food close by, Gibson's Grill,  is partnered with the venue.  It is on the same block as the venue at the corner of 7th and Broad. 
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Not about Gibson's quality (its ok), but that it's the only decent place close by. Guess it depends on your definition of close by but Tobacco Company, LuLu's, Capital Ale House, Comfort, Chez Foushee (lunch only, admittedly), Bistro 27 and Popkins Tavern are all within 10 blocks.

And that parking garage is $5. Someone can go south on 8th to Cary, then loop back around to 7th and going north and find parking after 6 for free within 2-3 blocks of National. No point in paying AT ALL.

wml7

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »
if you don't want to pay for parking all those metered parking areas should be good spots to catch.

walkonby

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »
the tobacco comp. is horrible.  such a shame, too . . . the decor was delightful.

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 04:19:32 pm »
the tobacco comp. is horrible.  such a shame, too . . . the decor was delightful.
Oh? How do you figure, sport? I haven't been in a year (not a meat eater and not a particularly vegetarian friendly menu) but several of my friends with discerning palettes go frequently and it's a perennial "top 10 restaurants in richmond" list entry from the Times-Dispatch and Style Weekly.

Also I left off Lemaire (Virginia's only 5 star restaurant) and TJ's, both in the Jefferson. FABULOUS.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 04:26:32 pm »
anyone have a good hotel to stay at that won't break the bank?

walkonby

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 04:32:47 pm »
Oh? How do you figure, sport? I haven't been in a year (not a meat eater and not a particularly vegetarian friendly menu) but several of my friends with discerning palettes go frequently and it's a perennial "top 10 restaurants in richmond" list entry from the Times-Dispatch and Style Weekly.

Also I left off Lemaire (Virginia's only 5 star restaurant) and TJ's, both in the Jefferson. FABULOUS.

i did only eat there once, and it was atleast a year ago.  both my partner and i ordered apps, salads, drinks, totally different meals, and even dessert.  after we walked out, we were like

perhaps it was a case of "bad night" but the food was just not good compared to what i like to eat in dc, especially when it's rated as "one of the town's best."  and i stayed at the jefferson once, and fabu is such an understatement, sweetie britches.

betao

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:23 pm »
For parking near the National, you're fine on-street wise. Nearly all of the meters aren't in use after 6 PM - its all 2 hr parking from 8 to 6. When I saw SY last week, I parked on 8th st one block from the venue without having to pay a meter. 

Also, what is the price range for Gibson's Grill? My group have been thinking about where to eat beforehand.

And Julian, what are the price ranges of some of those restaurants? I know that Tobacco Company and Capital Ale aren't the cheapest, so which ones are?

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 04:36:54 pm »
anyone have a good hotel to stay at that won't break the bank?
http://www.lindenrowinn.com/

$120, and it's about 7 blocks from The National. Gorgeous building... not The Jefferson, but I think you'd be pleased.

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
And Julian, what are the price ranges of some of those restaurants? I know that Tobacco Company and Capital Ale aren't the cheapest, so which ones are?
Capital Ale House is definitely alot cheaper than Tobacco, Lemaire or TJs. You can get a burger and beer for, idk, $15 with tip.

LuLus, Comfort, or Bistro 27 are all going to run you 15-20 for entrees. Popkins Tavern is a gastropub and a definite good value. Really cool building and food whose quality far exceeds its pricetag.

So, in short, Gibson's, Popkins and Capital Ale would be your bottom tier price wise, Comfort, LuLu's, and Bistro 27 the middle tier, and Tobacco, Lemaire and TJ the upper tier. (Because it's been a while since I've busted out some tier rankings!)

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 04:43:35 pm »
Also, if you're interested in trying Popkin Tavern, this site is selling $50 gift certificates for $25, and you can use them for alcohol too. Pretty good liquor selection as well, I know they have Hendrick's Gin, a personal favorite.

imbecile

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 04:56:40 pm »
I second capital ale house.  Very good place to go before the show, because of the very nice beer selection (if only it were monday for dollar burger night, it'd be heaven).  I also second the notion that there is a whole lot of good food in the area.

However, if you're going to go anywhere further than that, tobacco company et al, you're probably gonna wanna drive (it's only a few blocks, but still, why walk when  you can drive and it's easy.. unless you've been drinking).. and if you're going to drive.  You need to make your way to the bottom to 17th and Dock street and go to Bottom's Up Pizza.  Soooo good.  Of if you're in the mood for generic bar food, there's a BW3's right down there too. 

It's really not far away, Total of 13 or so blocks from the club.

Anyway, once you're in the bottom, it's not too rough to get back to the National.. just make your way up Main Street for about 10 blocks to 7th and then find somewhere to park.  Anywhere between there and Broad street, anywhere on (9th, 8th, 7th running north/south and Grace, Franklin or Main running East/west) is only a one-two block walk to the club and is free street parking.

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »
I was with you through paragraph 1. Then you told people to go to Bottom's Up Pizza and Buffalo Wild Wings, wtF?

If we're going to get people to drive, send them west towards Carytown and check out Verbena, Avalon, Bacchus or Mezzanine.

imbecile

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »
Ha.. I like Bottom's up.. what can i say.  Not the best pizza, but i've been hammered way too many times in the bottom to not enjoy it.

Oh... that makes me think of Sin-e.  If anyone has the hankering for an irish resaturant pre-MBV.

As for BW3's.. i surely wouldn't go there, but some people may.  I know a decent number of people who wouldn't want to stray from their comfort level and stick to chains.  It's not me, but it happens.

I also specifically avoided sending people the other way towards the fan and carytown for the reason you mentioned.. waaay too many food options.  It'd be very hard to narrow it down to only a few.  Avalon and Bacchus are both great places to go, but for my money I'd be heading to Sticky Rice for a delicious bucket of tots before the show.  I probably lost you with that one too.

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »
but for my money I'd be heading to Sticky Rice for a delicious bucket of tots before the show.  I probably lost you with that one too.
Nah, we do the Rice every couple of weeks, and that sauce they put on the tater tots is like crack. It's not classy, and the sushi and sashimi is a bit lacking, but always a fun evening. Always.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »
The only decent place for food close by, Gibson's Grill,  is partnered with the venue.  It is on the same block as the venue at the corner of 7th and Broad. 
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Not about Gibson's quality (its ok), but that it's the only decent place close by. Guess it depends on your definition of close by but Tobacco Company, LuLu's, Capital Ale House, Comfort, Chez Foushee (lunch only, admittedly), Bistro 27 and Popkins Tavern are all within 10 blocks.

And that parking garage is $5. Someone can go south on 8th to Cary, then loop back around to 7th and going north and find parking after 6 for free within 2-3 blocks of National. No point in paying AT ALL.

Well I guess our definitions of close vary.  TC, Sine, and the others are OK.  WAY overpriced, especially TC, but not exactly what I would call close in the sense of walking distance.  A lot of those 10 blocks are huge hills and not exactly great places to walk.  I did forget about the Ale House.  That is just 2 blocks away (on 7th street south of the venue).  You are right about parking now that I think about it.  It is some other club *cough* that is $10! :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:23:32 pm by RatBastard »
FUKIT