Author Topic: Wavves  (Read 4164 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Wavves
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 10:26:28 am »
azagh hates him because of blog hype. He admitted it this morning. I bet you he hasn't even listened to wavves.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:34 am »
Way to mangle what I said. Or just be too slow to understand it.

I used Wavves as an example of why I've shied away from blog-hyped bands as of late. 95% of what I heard  due to recommendations from a blog  turned out to be  shit upon listening so I figured that the law of averages was against my caring for the next indie buzz band.

احمد

nkotb

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 10:56:22 am »
I'm not sure Joe understands that hype != good.

I think the bigger concern isn't that they bands that are hyped are shit; it's more that they're hyped way too early and can't develop.  I quit reading most blogs about a year or so ago, because it was more a race to be the first to break someone than it was highlighting actual talent.  Wavves seems to be exactly that.

Way to mangle what I said. Or just be too slow to understand it.

I used Wavves as an example of why I've shied away from blog-hyped bands as of late. 95% of what I heard  due to recommendations from a blog  turned out to be  shit upon listening so I figured that the law of averages was against my caring for the next indie buzz band.

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 11:02:03 am »
Excellently put.
That may be the case with a lot of these bands but it's hard to say because as you said, they're thrust into the limelight too quickly.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:07:03 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:27 am »
some hype is good.

i did enjoy debut albums by CYHSY, Vampire Weekend, and Tapes 'n Tapes. These albums were hyped heavily but I think they are good and fun albums.

I also liked Yeasayer's debut...i'm not even sure if they were hyped by blogs or not.

(_|_)