Author Topic: British Sea Power  (Read 20356 times)

ggw

Re: British Sea Power
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2004, 05:22:00 pm »
It certainly wasn't close to selling out last time they played the Black Cat.  And I think it was a Friday or Saturday.

mankie

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2004, 05:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Samantha:
  gr.  I'm trying to get the bf to go.  
Didn't you say you were done with men recently?

ggw

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2004, 05:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Didn't you say you were done with men recently? [/b]
I think she said she did men recently.

Bags

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2004, 05:59:00 pm »

Is anyone who loves men *really* done with men ever??   ;)

Samantha

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »

I would NEVER say that  :eek:

Jaguär

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2004, 01:52:00 am »
Don't worry too much about Franz Ferdinand playing DC. They just signed with some big US label only the other day. They'll be here before you know it. (Sorry if it's already posted and I haven't caught up with it yet.)

Smackie, forget The Ravonettes. They are minorly good for about 2 or 3 songs and then you've heard them all. Just stay home and play the CD while you take a nap. It will be more rewarding. Don't even worry about missing Sharon, or whatever her name is. Granted, she's attractive but she's much nicer looking in her pictures.

Bags

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2004, 12:32:00 am »
So, any opinions on Kaito UK?

Kaito U.K.
 Band Red
 [SpinArt; 2003]
 Rating: 7.8

The interplay between Kaito U.K. vocalist Nikki Colk and her three bandmates-- who collectively tease out hyper, occasionally erratic backbeats and loads of weird, crashing melodies-- is always playfully confrontational. Colk's nonsensical lyrics are more about their visceral, phonetic sounds than any potential narratives, and that kind of terse, internal tension can be both frustrating and exhilarating all at once. To amp up the semantic agitation, Colk's mumbled delivery is also been padded by a mess of extraneous yelps and growls that, while adding texture to her band's art-punk noisescapes, usually have little-to-no affiliation with the words she's hollering.

The result is Kaito U.K.'s sophomore effort, Band Red, a record full of disorientating (but mostly thrilling) bursts: Colk barks and warbles, each of her high-strung, shrieky proclamations practically indiscernible from Dave Lake's pinched guitar zaps. It's perpetually unclear as to whether the proper reaction is to patent a new, kicky dance move or to twitch and grimace, but that question's inherent to Kaito's game, and it's a big part of what makes this record so much fun to yap along with.

Opener "Enemyline" is full of energetic guitar jabbing and unintelligible vocals, Colt and Lake's joint poking augmented by what sounds like a layer of mixed-down screams; the song flip-flops between quiet and loud (as post-Pixies bands are prone to do), but even "Enemyline"'s sparser bits are heavy with the threat of total implosion. When Kaito U.K. slip away from their blustery noisemaking, like on the excellent, organ-filled "Nothin' New", they prove themselves capable of rolling out the kinds of foggy, wide-eyed laments that can sit perfectly alongside big punk blasts. Still, the band is at its best when indulging adrenaline: "A.S.A. to Accuracy" is the record's most aggressive track, with two vague, fuzzy guitar lines fighting for supremacy, blood splattering the amps.

What ultimately saves Band Red from been-there tedium (check the ground already covered by Liliput, Erase Errata, even Deerhoof) is Kaito U.K.'s instinctual bend toward sticky melodies-- their tendency to temper their noise with surprisingly sugary pop hooks and wormy choruses is what keeps these songs from becoming pretentious or tiresome. So even if jumpy, fitful art-punk isn't particularly groundbreaking right now, Kaito U.K. are still playing the shiny pop card with previously unseen flair-- no matter how delightfully splintered Band Red can seem, there are always solid tunes lurking beneath the spits and flutters.

-Amanda Petrusich, September 9th, 2003

lily1

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2004, 10:08:00 am »
set times? opener at 9.30, bsp at 10.30? earlier? later?

not sure on this opener, what bags posted isn't making me want to rush over to the club, perhaps arrive halfway thru their set will be my plan.

bags, will copy cd for you and bring tonight. sorry about the live stuff. i have no clue how the cd got so f'd up.

ggw

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2004, 10:15:00 am »

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
Kaito U.K.
 Band Red
 [SpinArt; 2003]

They's get a 3.8 if their name was Kaito Americana. Run of the mill indie bands get a 7.8, run of the mill Americana bands get a 3.8 (or no mention at all)

bungle bud

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
sounds fair to me.

Bags

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  set times? opener at 9.30, bsp at 10.30? earlier? later?

not sure on this opener, what bags posted isn't making me want to rush over to the club, perhaps arrive halfway thru their set will be my plan.

I agree, they don't sound appealing to me at all.  I may arrive around 9:30 and hang in the red room for a bit.

markie

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2004, 12:26:00 pm »
I think I will give the opener a chance.

Anyone who went last time, did they play anything unusual/covers? I really like their version of tugboat. The Galaxie 500 song from the 25 years of Rough Trade compilation.

thirsty moore

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
Awww, my own little copycat.  I was waiting for you to co-op my name, which I co-op'd from my main man Thurston Moore.

Originally posted by Thirsty J Balls:
  Kaito U.K.
 Band Red
 [SpinArt; 2003]

They's get a 3.8 if their name was Kaito Americana. Run of the mill indie bands get a 7.8, run of the mill Americana bands get a 3.8 (or no mention at all)

bungle bud

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2004, 03:18:00 pm »
they played the songs from the cd along with lovely day tomorrow (shite song), but if you go to the website it seems they are being a little bit more crazy on this tour, so it should be a great show.