Author Topic: Fewer club shows selling out?  (Read 11906 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Fewer club shows selling out?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:54 pm »
I dunno, probably the best running joke was the show that Rhett reviewed that he didn't even go to.  That thing had legs.  While I'm at it, did I ever tell you about the time that blue haired girl in London gave Rhett a free Pixies ticket?

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 09:55:01 pm »
Oh yeah.

That fucking thing ruined my Dino Jr. thread there for a while last week.

I dunno, probably the best running joke was the show that Rhett reviewed that he didn't even go to.  That thing had legs.  While I'm at it, did I ever tell you about the time that blue haired girl in London gave Rhett a free Pixies ticket?
احمد

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:27 pm »
I dunno, probably the best running joke was the show that Rhett reviewed that he didn't even go to.  That thing had legs. 
I'd put that 3rd behind BEN'S CHILI BOWL and food at Birchmere. I mean, as far as quality, yes, I  completely agree with you, its my favorite too; but from a pure quantity standpoint, we hit those 2 so much more than any of the others.

And the band was Broken Social Scene. My favorite part was that even after he was figured out, he defended the entire thing by saying he saw the opener (Stars) and since they had shared members it was entirely justified.

eltee

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:30 pm »
A couple months ago, there were a few weeks that 930 had sold out shows 5 days in a row. Lately, it may be that many are traveling in the few weeks of summer that remain?
I would guess that obviously the economy is playing a part. Increase in prices is definitely not helping things. Earlier this year, I spoke to someone at IOTA and they told me the recession was definitely hurting them. I definitely don't buy merch / music, and limit my food / drink. I have gas to buy, and sometimes parking, so on top of the increased cost of a ticket, plus FEES, I have cut down my concert attendance.

(Oh, where is Rhett? Is that a whole other thread topic?)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:23:50 pm by Sugartastic Tee »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »
Rhett was jettisoned into the abyss by the powers that be.  That power being thatguy.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
Rhett was jettisoned into the abyss by the powers that be.  That power being thatguy.
I was kinda pissed when he unilaterally kicked Julian's America off the board, but he evened things out with kicking Rhett off. It's a fair trade.

It's like the Bible says, "thou who cureth can maketh ill."

mdh9857

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 11:56:58 pm »
I've definitely passed on a few shows that I would've liked to attend due to price.  I'm not paying $60 to see acts as Patriot Center unless I'm desperate now.  Between the drive and cost/fees its not worth it for me.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:20 am »
But there's a reason a few weeks ago if you bought two hamburgers at the Nats ballpark you got a free Depeche Mode tix.. or that there were - yesterday- $10 all in tickets for Crue Fest...

The Orioles, on the other hand, just gave those tickets away.  They also offered Creed tickets a week or so ago (surprised they could sell any of those).

Personally, I've been to more shows this year than in recent years but the days of going to see bands on a whim or because it's a reasonably cheap night out are over.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 08:39:22 am »
Oh yeah.

That fucking thing ruined my Dino Jr. thread there for a while last week.

i reviewed the setlist you provided . . . of an experience i've seen live twice since the grand reunion.  it's all j seems to know now (same songs, stick to the first two or three albums because god forbid he make whiny murph and lou unhappy).  such as how howard stern now has completely lost his edge and reverts to the same tired old guests and phony phone calls "weak" in and "weak" out. 

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 09:38:54 am »
people are slowly realizing that sold-out shows at 9:30 are a pain in the ass

lol i old
oword

shemptiness

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 10:04:04 am »
The Orioles, on the other hand, just gave those tickets away.  They also offered Creed tickets a week or so ago (surprised they could sell any of those).

This week's O's freebie: Motley Crue and Godsmack!

MonkeyPants

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 11:20:35 am »
I'm sure there are industry numbers (Pollstar?) that will demonstrate that ticket revenues are down in this recession.

Unfortunately for the flat earth society on this board I'm not going to waste my time proving the obvious.

Your premise is that fewer shows at the 9:30 Club are selling out, not that ticket sales to concerts in generally are down.  I think that only IMP can confirm or deny your original premise, and I don't see them stepping in to do so. 

And all I was saying is that ticket prices at the Club are weird and higher and that may contribute to it, but that I don't think there are fewer sold out shows at the 9:30 Club this year than last. 
PANTS

hutch

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 11:40:22 am »
I'm sure there are industry numbers (Pollstar?) that will demonstrate that ticket revenues are down in this recession.

Unfortunately for the flat earth society on this board I'm not going to waste my time proving the obvious.

Your premise is that fewer shows at the 9:30 Club are selling out, not that ticket sales to concerts in generally are down.  I think that only IMP can confirm or deny your original premise, and I don't see them stepping in to do so. 

And all I was saying is that ticket prices at the Club are weird and higher and that may contribute to it, but that I don't think there are fewer sold out shows at the 9:30 Club this year than last. 

Well it wasn't my premise! :)

I'm sorry I was thinking of the industry as a whole.. I think I said twice on this thread that IMP and the 930 were doing great.. To me it looks like they're selling out as much as ever.. Shows go on sale and sell out in a few minutes....

MonkeyPants

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 12:29:43 pm »

Well it wasn't my premise! :)

I'm sorry I was thinking of the industry as a whole.. I think I said twice on this thread that IMP and the 930 were doing great.. To me it looks like they're selling out as much as ever.. Shows go on sale and sell out in a few minutes....

ah, yes, I forgot that you didn't start this thread.  But that was, in fact, the premise of the original poster.
PANTS

killsaly

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 05:54:54 pm »
such as how howard stern now has completely lost his edge and reverts to the same tired old guests and phony phone calls "weak" in and "weak" out. 
I agree, Stern has been getting a bit soft lately.