Author Topic: WSC at the Black Cat  (Read 7304 times)

xcanuck

WSC at the Black Cat
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
So....who's going? Isn't it about time for them to release a new CD? Maybe we'll get some new tunes.

Bags

Re: WSC at the Black Cat
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 01:46:00 pm »
I'm Spoon-ing that night.  Otherwise I try to hit all the WSC shows around town...

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
hopefully i'll get to go, but i dunno.
 it's three of my favorite local bands on one bill...yessssssssss-s-s-s-s-s

everybody on the planet should go to this show.

jkeisenh

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »
i'll be at spoon.
 WSC is what i'd call a big yawn.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
Spoon Schmoon.  WSC for me.

SalParadise

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
wsc is alright, but spoon is for the children.

beedubyah

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 04:43:00 pm »
I saw them once and boy did I not like them.  Just not my type of music I guess.  

Hysterically bad bassist.  Couldnt hear a thing. Maybe it wasnt turned on.

BookerT

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
can someone explain to me the appeal of any of the bands on this bill? actually don't even try w/army of me, cuz it won't do any good. but i just don't get wsc ... it's like if carl newman wrote songs after having a labotomy or something. but lots of people i know who like (at least sorta) good music like them...

honey_chile

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 09:32:00 pm »
"it's like if carl newman wrote songs after having a labotomy or something. but lots of people i know who like (at least sorta) good music like them..."
 that's a good one, and i agree. i'm definitly not keen on any of them.

LostSoul

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
I'll explain the appeal: it's like a train wreck.  I'll be there tonight, not because I like any of the bands (and to be honest, will be sure to miss one of them), but because I want to see the train wreck that is the DC music scene.

Bartelby

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Lost Soul:
  I'll explain the appeal: it's like a train wreck.  I'll be there tonight, not because I like any of the bands (and to be honest, will be sure to miss one of them), but because I want to see the train wreck that is the DC music scene.
Man, you have a bad attitude.  You will always find what you seek:  Obviously, shitty music.  The more these emerging bands play, the better they get...it's a process.  Be patient.  BTW:  Why would you waste your money?  You could just stay home and do an "at-home" Brazilian bikini wax, non?  Be sure to talk loudly all the way thru the whole evening - and smoke a lot.  I'll be there standing next to you trying to hear my friends perform.
   :D

LostSoul

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
I don't have a bad attitude.  I respect all music, whether it is good or bad.  Yes, the more bands play, the better they get.  That's where we agree.  But you won't see me sitting on the couch tonight, getting your Brazilian wax....you'll see me at the Black Cat supporting local music, whether I like the bands or not, because that's what DC really needs.

I don't usually smoke, but I will tonight, just for you.

indietastic

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
Damn right lost soul...I couldn't agree more.

These bands are local, so I will support the local music night...That is about it.

xcanuck

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 09:48:00 am »
I admit that I've never heard Spoon before and I think I've used up all favours for getting into sold out shows at the club. So WSC it is for me.

I can understand people not getting into WSC. I really don't like Marty's voice but I think the music is fun and infectious. Olivia's nice to look at. Tix are only $12. Sounds like a deal to me!

Everyone have fun whatever you end up doing.

redsock

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
Local they may be, but far from inconsequential. You guys act like these are bands that are just playing there first non-basement show. Both WSC and Exit Clov play out a lot, up and down the East Coast and beyond. I'm not a big Army of Me fan, but I think tonite is a good showcase of two bands who don't really fall into the local "scene."

WSC's music isn't exactly new and original, but their live show is great. I won't tout the plethora of reasons to see the Clov (due to my obvious bias) but along with Cartel they are one of the best bands to come out of DC in the past couple of years. We need bands trying different things, bands that don't fit in the DC good-old boys netowrk. Tonite is a good example of some bands who have done that and are beginning to see some success.