Author Topic: Stereo Equipment & Computer Sound Systems  (Read 2002 times)

Sage 703

Stereo Equipment & Computer Sound Systems
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »
Hey folks~

I figured I could get some good advice here on this, as there are some audiophile types that may be able to guide somebody that doesn't know much about audio equipment.

FIRST: I want to buy a new stereo and speaker system, as I've held on to my old one for probably 15 years at this point and it isn't cutting it.  I'm not an audiophile - I don't need something that is exquisite.  I just want a good, reliable system that sounds good.  My thought is that I really just need a new receiver, as I have a turntable and a CD player.  To my limited knowledge, these shouldn't make a huge deal of difference in playback (yes, I'm aware this is probably blasphemy when it comes to turntables, but my record collection is a supplement to my CD collection).  Is that true?  Or do I really need to look at a higher end CD player to optimize my sound?

Can people make any recommendations on home stereo systems and speaker set ups?  I'm looking to spend under $2k on the whole system, and would prefer to be well under that marker - but I also want to get something that will last.  What would you put together?

SECOND: Can anybody recommend good computer speaker systems?  I've been too long without good speakers for my digital audio library as well.

Thanks in advance.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Stereo Equipment & Computer Sound Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:02:12 pm »
you're going to want to spend the most money on speakers.  spending a ton on the CD player won't yield huge improvements, although one advantage of more expensive CD players is they have digital outs (obviously requires an amp/receiver with digital ins).

i have a yamaha ystms50 setup hooked up to my computer and it sounds awesome (i also have a pair of studio monitors hooked up to my external soundcard, but that's probably not what you're looking for).  i bought the yamaha rig when mars music went out of business in 2003.  recommended.  EDIT: nevermind, looks like its out of production and isn't available for sale anymore, even on ebay... too bad. maybe look for other yamaha computer speakers?)

depending what the layout of your stereo system is, you may be able to integrate your computer into the main stereo system.  again, if your amp/receiver has digital ins and your 'puter has digital outs, that would be the way to go.  i'm hoping your computer has a decent soundcard - if not, get an external firewire or USB soundcard.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:08:54 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:11:56 pm »
There was some discussion in this thread about recievers and stereo equipment that I'd rather not repeat here:

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=11999.msg285306#msg285306

So take a look at the advice in that thread and then ask some more specific questions and we'll help you out.

As for computer speakers, I don't use them at home any longer.  Like sweetcell mentioned, my digital files are played through a stereo system (via TOSLINK), or for smaller places, various JBL iPod docks via 3.5 stereo audio-in plugs.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »
my only advise is to listen at stores, do you research and buy used on www.audiogon.com

for 2k you can get a great 2 channel integrated and pair of speakers.

chaz

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:22:00 pm »
If i were going to be setting up a modest 2 channell rig from scratch I'd start with this:

http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

A bargain at that price.  It's an analog piece of gear, so if your cd player is crap I'd upgrade that as well since your cd player will be handling the digi to analog conversion and most likely your player doesn't have a great DAC.  If you buy a reciever that has digiital inputs (digi coax or toslink inputs) then the CD player isn't that big of a deal since in that case the reciever will do the conversion on the signal from the cd player.

The same company has a new CD player that has gotten great reviews but is out of stock until September.

This will leave you lots of $$ to spend on speakers.

PM if you have questions.  I like helping people with stereo stuff, I'm nutty and geeky over this stuff.

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:15:22 am »
I love B&W speakers, all of them have a great natural sound.  Fav's of mine.

chaz

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:30:51 am »
TONS of B&W speakers on audiogon, in most cases about 40% off the new prices.  Myer Emco sells these locally so you can listen there then save a fortune bying used.

And a word on using digital out on a cd player, just to reiterate.  If you connect to your receiver digitally, you will be utilizing the DAC of the reciever.  If you connect to the reciever with analog cables (the red and white ones) you'll be using the DAC on the player, ie. it will convert digital to analog and send it to the receiver.

So, if you have a crappy old cd player, chances are it doesn't have any sort of digital output, therefore you are doing the conversion there.  In this case upgrading the reciever will yeild minimal results, but better speakers would help in any scenario.

If I were you i'd get the reciever i mentioned above, a new cd player, probably this - http://emotiva.com/erc1.shtm, and this would leave you $1200 of you budget for speakers. 

Speakers are more a matter of taste, some being laid back and warm, and some being more bright, aggressive and forward sounding.  Brands I'd look at in your price range would be B&W, Quad, Paradigm, Swan, Spendor...there are so many speaker makers out there it will make your head spin

OK OK I know i said previously I had litte advice to give but I couldn't help myself.

PS, if you get bookshelf style speakers consider a reciever with a subwoofer out and sub to fill the low end and figure out how to set up the crossovers correctly.

PS - Disregard my reciever rec...it is a pre-amp only you'd have to buy an amp as well.  I have a few amps so don't even look at recievers anymore and wasn't thinking straight, so unless you want to go the seperates route get something else.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:23:18 pm by chaz »