Author Topic: Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?  (Read 26640 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
My thoughts about Nissan is that there is absolutely no band in the world that could possibly be worth going there again, ever.
_\|/_

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »
Ok thank you all for your input. It looks like Depeche Mode is playing there on a weekend...so I might consider that instead.
(_|_)

yinzer

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »
i would go there only in a helicopter.

anarchist

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 09:22:00 pm »
BOYCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flashback8

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
Didn't Clear Channel say a long time ago that they were going to get crews to widen the roads and such?  Yet another load of garbage from their mouths, I'd imagine.

monkey

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 09:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
 Honestly, I haven't been either but I stopped going to the Cap Center many years before they tore that place down and I equate them to similiar experiences. Have heard and read a whole lot of things about the place that fit exactly everything that I hate about large arenas. You are just way too far away, sound often echos or gets lost, the crowds are too much for me, and the parking is insane. Plus, you usually pay much more for a ticket without the intimacy of smaller venues. The 9:30 Club is about the largest that I prefer to go. But that's just me.

I might consider MCI, which I've never been to either, for a rare occassion but haven't the slightest desire to ever venture into the Nissan experience. It would take all of the original Beatles; early days style; performing for me to take the plunge. [/QB]
As far as arenas go, you may want to consider Patriot Center.  while the acoustics in nearly every arena ever are pretty much a lost cause, the Patriot Center's never been too bad for me.

Plus, since it's an older arena, and a collega arena, it's not too overly huge, either.

As far as Nissan goes (granted I'm biased here, as I still consider myself a member of the 9:30/IMP family, even in Atlanta), literally give yourself at least 3 hours, and don't be surprised if it turns into more, to get there.  There's one two-lane road to get there.  Sure, you can come in from either direction, but it's still just a two-lane road (after you've spent forever on 66).

distance

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 10:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Nissan makes DAR look good.
i don't know if i'd go that far, but i'd definitely drive farther away rather than go to nissan (i live ~1.5-2hrs from nissan)

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 10:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  it takes 3 hours to get there and 6 hours to get back.
thats just simply hilarious!!!!

PigIron

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 12:03:00 am »
It has the same problems any big venue will have.  Long lines for the pisser and big prices for everything.  I've been there a few times and I don't recall the sound being any crappier than any other big venue.  Same goes with the parking - stuff like that is to be expected.  I'd still see a show there if I'm crazy about the artist but I end up paying some insane price for excellent seats.  And as someone without tons of dough to throw around, that means I don't go there often.

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 12:25:00 am »
i have NEVER EVER sat in traffic for more than 30 minutes either coming to or leaving Merriweather.  

ever.

Jesse

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 12:44:00 am »
I think overall, the hassles of nissan, suchas Traffic, only 2 exits, and crazy prices for food, really out-weigh the good you get out of the show.

I was considering nine inch nails. because i really want to see them live and i haven't yet. Plus i wouldn't mind seeing Bauhaus and TVOTR either. but i'm really on the fence. just because it's nissan

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 02:58:00 am »
Originally posted by jesse:
  I think overall, the hassles of nissan, suchas Traffic, only 2 exits, and crazy prices for food, really out-weigh the good you get out of the show.

anyone who goes to concerts for the food really creeps me out!  ;)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 04:39:00 am »
i woke up on my bus less than 50 yards from the stage at nissan, and i was afraid it was still going to take me an hour to get there.  

actually, that day was just fine.  every other time i've been there was a royal pain in the ass, no matter how early i went or how late i stayed.  

i've been to almost every major amphitheater in this country, and they're all essentially the same from the audience's perspective.  personal bias aside, merriweather is one of maybe three that stand out as something different (in a good way).  the others are the shoreline amphiteatre near san fransisco and the blossom music center in cuyahoga falls, ohio.  most of the others are just a blur.

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 07:18:00 am »
Why would you drink and drive in the first place?

Originally posted by mrpee:
  Don't forget the sobriety roadblocks that the Prince William County boys in blue routinely set up after big shows. Like shooting fish in a barrell and those fuckin' bullets hurt!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 08:55:00 am »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  i've been to almost every major amphitheater in this country, and they're all essentially the same from the audience's perspective.  personal bias aside, merriweather is one of maybe three that stand out as something different (in a good way).  the others are the shoreline amphiteatre near san fransisco and the blossom music center in cuyahoga falls, ohio.  most of the others are just a blur.
Alpine Valley is nice.  Deer Creek too, from what I recall.  Jones Beach is interesting, if nothing else.  But yeah - most of them are pretty much the same.  We're lucky to have MPP and Wolf Trap in our area.