Author Topic: 2009-2010 NFL discussion thread  (Read 38601 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: 2009-2010 NFL discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 12:04:15 pm »
Anybody hear about the TV ratings for the first week of NFL games?  The sunday game between the Giants and Redskins was the most watched regular season game EVER.

I'm actually reeling over this news.  I'd kind of thought that the NFL had reach maximum market saturation....so personally this comes as not really good news to me.  This will stoke the fires even more to penetrate other markets, with horrible ideas like moving some regular season games to London etc.  Shit they are talking about having a fucking team in Europe in the next 10 years.  Ughh.

i had no idea.  wow.

i have friends in denmark who are HUGE packers fans (i know... wtf).  they stay up until 4 AM on sunday nights/monday morning watching NFL. 

i wonder if the players union would oppose having a team in yurp.
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 12:04:41 pm »
i thought it was the most watched regular season sunday opener ever, but impressive none the less
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 12:14:13 pm »
People are absolutely starved for American Football....

I don't get the game myself... 1 hour of play and 3 hours of commercials/sitting around...

But maybe I don't get the game because of the type of game the Redskins have been playing since I moved here 16 years ago..

Back in the mid-80s I enjoyed watching the 49ers.. That was a team! what with Montana/Young, Rice, Clark, Craig, Lott!

Oh and can't believe I forgot this: and BIll Walsh coaching! Boy was he ahead of his time.. I went to High School with his daughter Liz actually..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:38:43 pm by hutch »

BookerT

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:35:30 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:59 pm »
I don't get the game myself...

that because no argentinians are in the NFL.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 01:49:24 pm »
i thought it was the most watched regular season sunday opener ever, but impressive none the less

What difference does 10 Million veiwers really make?

1995 Kansas City Chiefs-Dallas Cowboys game that averaged 35.7 million viewers
2009 Washington Redskins-New York Giants game that averaged 25.1 million viewers
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 01:58:50 pm »
i was going to say there usually are a couple of 4:45 games a year that do 20+ ratings, usually do to a compelling match up and/or a favorable map. the skins/giants map was one of the best i've seen ever
http://the506.com/nflmaps/2009/01-FOX-L.html
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:37 pm »
They had a ton of coverage, yes.  That's the ratings benefit of a Thursday night game and 2 Monday night games.  The Charger game would certainly have been a Sunday late game, and perhaps one of the NE/Pitt games.

I was having a conversation with my brother-in-law this morning about having a team in LA and I told him that it would kill TV for him.  To illustrate:

WEEK 2 IN LA

Early games: NE @ NYJ and  NO @ PHI

Late Game: BAL @ SD

Compared to....

WEEK 2 IN SF

Early Game: OAK @ KC

Late Game: SEA @ SF

There's no comparison, really.  The NFL Package is a must in the Bay Area.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:23:45 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
I don't get the game myself...

that because no argentinians are in the NFL.

Ha ha...nice one, but even I will admit to missing those nut job Gramatica boys.  Someone will sign one of them as a replacement for a week or two just for the unintentional comedy value...
27>34

walkonby

Venerable Bede

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:14 pm »
They had a ton of coverage, yes.  That's the ratings benefit of a Thursday night game and 2 Monday night games.  The Charger game would certainly have been a Sunday late game, and perhaps one of the NE/Pitt games.

I was having a conversation with my brother-in-law this morning about having a team in LA and I told him that it would kill TV for him.  To illustrate:

WEEK 2 IN LA

Early games: NE @ NYJ and  NO @ PHI

Late Game: BAL @ SD

Compared to....

WEEK 2 IN SF

Early Game: OAK @ KC

Late Game: SEA @ SF

There's no comparison, really.  The NFL Package is a must in the Bay Area.

or at least knowing someone who has the package.

there was a writer, i think on page 2, defending the nfl blackout rule and used the same rationale as this. . .instead of being forced to watch 2 potentially crappy local teams, you get the national games, which are, presumably, better than your local teams. 
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:57 pm »
the ticket is vital unless you root for the team in your town. i couldnt take going back to bars at this point
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »
there was a writer, i think on page 2, defending the nfl blackout rule and used the same rationale as this. . .instead of being forced to watch 2 potentially crappy local teams, you get the national games, which are, presumably, better than your local teams. 

Ha ha, that's pretty funny.  I don't mind the blackout rule as I've never been a fan of a local team and it's very close in terms of which would happen first: (1) me moving to Pittsburgh and (2) Heinz field not selling out a game I would want to watch.  I wouldn't hold my breath for either.

I could see why other small market team fans would be upset though.

Anyhow, I think it's only NY and SF that have the two teams in the same media market and thus get screwed.  I know there are complaints about the secondary media market, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as those two cities.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »
pittsburgh has tons of lawyers and hospitals, team smackie would fit right in

my dad was telling me about in the early 70's they didnt show games locally at all, so people would drive to erie to watch the steelers in a motel. like the whole motel would yell all during the game. hard to believe these days

it is pretty funny to watch my cousins act as ticket brokers on fall friday and saturday nights, though
o/\o

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »
Anybody hear about the TV ratings for the first week of NFL games?  The sunday game between the Giants and Redskins was the most watched regular season game EVER.

I'm actually reeling over this news.  I'd kind of thought that the NFL had reach maximum market saturation....so personally this comes as not really good news to me.  This will stoke the fires even more to penetrate other markets, with horrible ideas like moving some regular season games to London etc.  Shit they are talking about having a fucking team in Europe in the next 10 years.  Ughh.

I went to watch the game at Hard Times in Fairfax, and it was damn slow. It was more packed last season, and a lot more packed for just regular season Caps games. I thought it would be pakced with another QB and another coach on the chopping block, plus a divisional game? Season opener? I was surprised.
‼‼?‼‼